20 or 18 inch wheels?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
20 or 18 inch wheels??

I am wanting to swap out my stock wheels and tires with aftermarket stuff. I have 2013 F350 SBCC with 20 inch wheels and 275/65 tires.

I am thinking of getting either 20 inch wheels with 325/60 tires or 18 inch wheels and 325/65 tires.

Problem is I am not sure which way to go. The tire shop said they would order both in and mount one of each on put both on one side of my truck so I can see which I like better. What are the pros or cons to each?

Also, I want a bigger tire, but not sure just how big. Would a 295/65 be a happy medium?

If I got a bigger tire, is there any way to adjust the speedo or do I have to live with it?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

Last edited by Leclerc457; 01-14-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you planning on leaving the suspension height stock? What are the dimensions and offsets of the wheels you plan to get? What tire shop are you getting this done at?

I would get 20 inch wheels. They are basically the new standard on these trucks and it may be beneficial in the future to use tires that are compatible with other 20 inch wheels. If you're keeping the stock wheels, you can use one of them as a spare mounted in the same sized tire as the rest.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:06 PM

The 20 inch wheels are 20x9, not sure about the offset, but the tire shop assured me they will not stick out any wider than stock. The tire shop is Discount Tire.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
POWERCHOKER

I'm not very good at visualizing in Metric so I converted to inches...

The diameter & width of each tire in inches...
275/65 -------> 34.1 x 10.8
295/65 -------> 35.1 x 11.6
325/60 -------> 35.4 x 12.8

The factory wheel is 20x8...

I wouldn't worry about whether they will stick out or not, I would worry about whether they will rub when you fully turn in either direction.

I'm no expert, but you may need to consider a leveling kit to use those tire sizes on a 20x9 wheel. I would depart from Discount Tire and go to another distributor that can offer you more than just wheels and tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dantron For This Useful Post:
Leclerc457 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

leveling kit would definitely open up some more options on wheels and tires. Also if they dont rub in stock form chances are they will if your offroad at all.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am interested to see the answers to your questions about the speedo calibration. From what I have found online it looks like you may not be able to adjust it on 2013s...
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelefty View Post
I am interested to see the answers to your questions about the speedo calibration. From what I have found online it looks like you may not be able to adjust it on 2013s...
I've noticed the same thing. It seems Hypertech makes a unit and their website it works, but another post here said it wasn't ready for the 2013's. Anyone else have anything?
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDJohn View Post
leveling kit would definitely open up some more options on wheels and tires. Also if they dont rub in stock form chances are they will if your offroad at all.
Yeah, I really don't wanna get into a leveling kit, although I am a bit tempted. Would I need an 1.5 inch kit? Who makes the best one?

I am not tempted to just stay with stock tire size for simplicity. I think I read on another post that someone put 35s and only had minor rubbing issues when turned fully.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM
POWERCHOKER

I'm not sure where you're located, but if you have a 4 Wheel Parts nearby I would recommend you go to them. They sell wheels, tires, suspension, performance, exhaust, and accessories. The one I had all my work done at was very helpful and professional. They'll price match, offer warranty on parts and labor, and give you free lifetime tire rotations like they do at Discount Tire. I would buy whatever you can through them for they will be the middle-man between you and the vendor, plus they often take care of the shipping costs. I'm like a kid in a candy store whenever I go there. However, there's not much more they can do for my truck...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dantron For This Useful Post:
Leclerc457 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 PM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leclerc457 View Post
I've noticed the same thing. It seems Hypertech makes a unit and their website it works, but another post here said it wasn't ready for the 2013's. Anyone else have anything?
I haven't calibrated my 37s yet, but I do have an H&S Mini-Maxx which should be able to do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.