6.7 Eectrical problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By raftdaddy
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Eectrical problem

I have 2012 F350 lariat with 6.7 Powerstroke. Hooked up in bed salter/spreader by hooking ground wire to battery, power wire I alligator clipped on to a wire that had been alligator clipped to a power source out of fuse panel that had an in line fuse on it, that had been installed with snowplow. I had Truck Running, hit power source switch on in bed salter/spreader and my truck died completely no power at all. Inline fuse I had connected to didn't blow. I have cab lights and that's it, checked all fuses but have not replaced any relays. Any suggestions please help, no power at all and I have snow storms moving in and need to plow snow with it.
jsouth is offline  
post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
raftdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thompson manitoba
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i'm not an expert on the electrical on our trucks but I can give you some suggestions. it sounds like you blew a fusible link upstream from the one you tapped off of. I did notice on mine that there is a fusible link right off the battery ,might be there to link the battery or alternator but worth a look. and use a meter not a test light and just start at the fuse and work your way back. sorry I can't tell you exactly where to look but keep an eye out for the little black buldge on wires. ford loves the goofy fusable links under the hood. But just having cab lights tells me you have a feed issue and a larger fuse somewhere that need replacing. I don't know who hooked your snow plow up but that winch or hydraulic pack would probably be too much to add to anything on the factory system, that should have had its own system fused off the battery. I have no idea how many amps the sander pulls but it could have a high in rush current. and btw you just need to ground to chassis no need to run to the battery. I'm an electrician in a large mine so I feel your pain,i don't know how many hours of my life have been spent chasing electrical bugs around.


2012 f350 lariat,35x12.50x20 on moto metal mo962 in 20x9 with o offset.bil 5100's,readylift 2.5 level
raftdaddy is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
HighHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Posts: 1,466
Thanks: 30
Thanked 105 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Small world Im dealing with some serious bloody mind blowing electrical issues in a mine as we speak, what kind of equipment do you work on?

For the OP I had a similar issue on a friends ford focus, had a surge in the electrical system and fried the fusable link between the batt and the alternator. Lost all electrical, I just unhooked the factory while and ran a brand new one without the link, worked fine after that.

2013 - F350 CCLB. - 8" Lift on 37s. H&S XRT w/ CTS. Sinister EGR Delete. MPD CCV Delete. Wicked Wheel 2. SDP Downpipe. No Limits CAI. 5" FloPro. Retrofit HIDs.

HighHP is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
raftdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thompson manitoba
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the mobile equipment are atlas copco jumbo drills,maclean bolters, cubex drills. and of course the hoists,skips,crushers, conveyors and never ending fans.work on everthing from 13800 volts to 24 dc.we are running short on trades but have 7 electricians and 17 mobile mechanics to help each other out. we are a hard rock mine that mines nickel and currently at 4100 feet and planning to go to about 7000. what kind of mine are you in?.

sorry not to hijack this thread!! I was thinking of starting a where do work thread.


2012 f350 lariat,35x12.50x20 on moto metal mo962 in 20x9 with o offset.bil 5100's,readylift 2.5 level
raftdaddy is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
HighHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Posts: 1,466
Thanks: 30
Thanked 105 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right on, if I ever move back home ive been looking into copper mines so probably similar to that type of equipment. Right now im working open pit mines in the oilsands. HD mechanic by trade, I work for cummins, mostly QSK series engines in komatsu equipment, 830s, 930s, 960s, PC5500/8000 hydraulic shovels. Anything that breaks with a cummins engine we will fix though.

2013 - F350 CCLB. - 8" Lift on 37s. H&S XRT w/ CTS. Sinister EGR Delete. MPD CCV Delete. Wicked Wheel 2. SDP Downpipe. No Limits CAI. 5" FloPro. Retrofit HIDs.

HighHP is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
raftdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thompson manitoba
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHP View Post
Right on, if I ever move back home ive been looking into copper mines so probably similar to that type of equipment. Right now im working open pit mines in the oilsands. HD mechanic by trade, I work for cummins, mostly QSK series engines in komatsu equipment, 830s, 930s, 960s, PC5500/8000 hydraulic shovels. Anything that breaks with a cummins engine we will fix though.
very nice, you will not have an issue getting work elsewhere. Thompson, Vale will take you!! we lost most of our guys to potash or oil, so theres lots of room to move.


2012 f350 lariat,35x12.50x20 on moto metal mo962 in 20x9 with o offset.bil 5100's,readylift 2.5 level
raftdaddy is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
raftdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thompson manitoba
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
I have 2012 F350 lariat with 6.7 Powerstroke. Hooked up in bed salter/spreader by hooking ground wire to battery, power wire I alligator clipped on to a wire that had been alligator clipped to a power source out of fuse panel that had an in line fuse on it, that had been installed with snowplow. I had Truck Running, hit power source switch on in bed salter/spreader and my truck died completely no power at all. Inline fuse I had connected to didn't blow. I have cab lights and that's it, checked all fuses but have not replaced any relays. Any suggestions please help, no power at all and I have snow storms moving in and need to plow snow with it.
any progress??
jsouth likes this.


2012 f350 lariat,35x12.50x20 on moto metal mo962 in 20x9 with o offset.bil 5100's,readylift 2.5 level
raftdaddy is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I decided to use my roadside assistance and warranty, So I called the dispatcher and she said they would have to tow it to the nearest dealer, Ken Garff Ford In American fork, Utah. I was super reluctant because of bad experiences in the past, and she told me they have to tow it there. I followed it over there to talk to them and tell them how badly I needed my truck fixed so I could use it to snowplow upcoming storm, (mistake). After a couple of hours I decided to call them before they close. My service Advisor Lu Rodriguez Said that I had Fried A Couple of wires and my PCM. He told me since I had been so honest with them and they would warranty the PCM, But Ford hasn't even released a replacement PCM and it would be 2 weeks before they would. Then he proceeded to tell me his mechanic could stay late and do some backyard mechanic work and get it running that night, Although he wasn't sure how long it would last or if it would work. Of course I said yes, he said $660 dollars then I said I'd better wait the 2 weeks for new PCM. He abrubtly hung up phone. Now I definitely felt something fishy was going on. The next morning I remembered I had left my Wedding ring in the truck so I went to pick it up because when I had my last truck in there my IPOD had got stolen out of the truck and of course they didn't know where it had gone to. I got to the dealership and my truck was parked out front so I decided to just see if it was open or would open. I punched in code on door and it opened, when they towed it there was no power at all. I remembered I had extra key in console, stuck it in the ignition and truck started right up. So now knowing lu Rodriguez had lied to me again I Just decide to take truck home, its been running fine, I think they found blown fuse or replaced relay and trying to stick me with a bogus bill. He still has my keys and I hope he returns them to me. we will see what happens in the morning
jsouth is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 408
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
Well I decided to use my roadside assistance and warranty, So I called the dispatcher and she said they would have to tow it to the nearest dealer, Ken Garff Ford In American fork, Utah. I was super reluctant because of bad experiences in the past, and she told me they have to tow it there. I followed it over there to talk to them and tell them how badly I needed my truck fixed so I could use it to snowplow upcoming storm, (mistake). After a couple of hours I decided to call them before they close. My service Advisor Lu Rodriguez Said that I had Fried A Couple of wires and my PCM. He told me since I had been so honest with them and they would warranty the PCM, But Ford hasn't even released a replacement PCM and it would be 2 weeks before they would. Then he proceeded to tell me his mechanic could stay late and do some backyard mechanic work and get it running that night, Although he wasn't sure how long it would last or if it would work. Of course I said yes, he said $660 dollars then I said I'd better wait the 2 weeks for new PCM. He abrubtly hung up phone. Now I definitely felt something fishy was going on. The next morning I remembered I had left my Wedding ring in the truck so I went to pick it up because when I had my last truck in there my IPOD had got stolen out of the truck and of course they didn't know where it had gone to. I got to the dealership and my truck was parked out front so I decided to just see if it was open or would open. I punched in code on door and it opened, when they towed it there was no power at all. I remembered I had extra key in console, stuck it in the ignition and truck started right up. So now knowing lu Rodriguez had lied to me again I Just decide to take truck home, its been running fine, I think they found blown fuse or replaced relay and trying to stick me with a bogus bill. He still has my keys and I hope he returns them to me. we will see what happens in the morning
This is the stuff that needs to be reported to ford. This dealership is why so many refer to them as steelerships. What dishonesty and a gross lack of respect. If he doesn't give you your key back, go to the manager. If he doesn't get the law involved for fraud. Check your truck to see of the PCM had bee touched

Brett

2013 F250 CCLB FX4 4" PURE PERFORMANCE
2013 F150 FX4 LEVELED 285'S
2001 F350 7.3 CCLB ZF6
rustyshakelford is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome