Remote Start Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remote Start Question

I am getting a 2014 F-250 tomorrow with the remote start option. With the cold weather now is it a problem starting the truck without using the glow plugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The factory remote start will wait till the glow plugs are hot before starting. It will also turn on the drivers heated seat and the heated wheel if you have those options. One of my favorite parts about this truck with the cold spell we have had.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 AM

The remote start is setup with a delay for glow plugs. Don't worry push the button and enjoy hoping into a warm truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I like the sound of that. Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How does it know to turn on the heated seat or will I need to program it for that?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My guess would be it looks at the ambient temperature, the cabin temperature, and compares it to the desired HVAC temperature. I am curious if the cooled seats will turn on in the summer time.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

I briefly read through the manual and im pretty sure it explains how it works in there, something to do with reading ambient air temperature and it decides whether too heat the seats or cool the seats and I think it's always defaults the HVAC to 72F, I guess that's a happy medium for hot or cold temperatures.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is great news. I think I am going to really like this truck with all these options. Thanks for all the feed back.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The romote start on these trucks are excellent! In my experience, it will start right up within 3-4 seconds every time, even with these cold spells we've been having down here (below 40 degrees Farenheit in Texas). I had a Viper remote start on my '07 F-250 and there was always a 10-15 second delay before start up with some start up fails in cold weather. As for the heating options, I never get cold enough to use such features so I can't provide any feedback there.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM

The delay has not do with the glow plugs. The 6 litres had slower glow plugs and need more time then what the new trucks have. The viper you had would have had a programmable delay. Likely instant, 15 and 30 seconds.

These factory remote starts are ok, it is nice to have it all the options like the heated/cooled seats working, but are some limitations. The range on them is terrible compared a decent aftermarket starter. You can get an upgrade 2 way ford starter which may work better than the standard one. The other issue is the length of run time is pretty low and you can only cycle twice. Probably not an issue for a lot people in warm climates but in northern canada 15 minutes of running doesn't warm up that much. Lastly, they don't seem to work if you have started, or used the key to hit the start button take the keys out and leave the truck running.... Or at least I haven't figured it out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.