System monitor for a 2014 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
System monitor for a 2014

I am looking for a good system monitor for my 2014 Lariat.

I recently purchased an Edge Insight CTS as the Amazon supplier I purchased through claimed compatibility all the way through 2014. Well, that's partly true and mostly a lie. Sure, if you want to monitor RPM or speed or other less-than-helpful PIDs, it will work under a generic model. If you actually try and get it to monitor Ford PID's, the thing won't even turn all the way on when connected. It simply turns off as it tries to load the gauges. I updated through their software (which doesn't support macs ), but no dice. I called Edge, and got no help. The vague CS rep basically suggested to shelve it and hope an update comes out, even after telling me that it would "probably be quite some time" before they have support for 2014 . These trucks have been on the road for months, yet I doubt I see support until at least middle of the year. I can't have my money sit idle that long. It's my fault for not checking into it in more detail, but frustrating all the same.

So does anyone have experience or know of a good system monitor that doesn't require having a lap top hooked up (I can't really watch the laptop while driving and towing)? I'm looking to monitor available EGT's, ECT, soot level/regen status, fuel system status, pull major codes, etc. Does anyone make anything that actually works with a 2014? Thanks!

--nathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siver_pilate View Post
I am looking for a good system monitor for my 2014 Lariat.

I recently purchased an Edge Insight CTS as the Amazon supplier I purchased through claimed compatibility all the way through 2014. Well, that's partly true and mostly a lie. Sure, if you want to monitor RPM or speed or other less-than-helpful PIDs, it will work under a generic model. If you actually try and get it to monitor Ford PID's, the thing won't even turn all the way on when connected. It simply turns off as it tries to load the gauges. I updated through their software (which doesn't support macs ), but no dice. I called Edge, and got no help. The vague CS rep basically suggested to shelve it and hope an update comes out, even after telling me that it would "probably be quite some time" before they have support for 2014 . These trucks have been on the road for months, yet I doubt I see support until at least middle of the year. I can't have my money sit idle that long. It's my fault for not checking into it in more detail, but frustrating all the same.

So does anyone have experience or know of a good system monitor that doesn't require having a lap top hooked up (I can't really watch the laptop while driving and towing)? I'm looking to monitor available EGT's, ECT, soot level/regen status, fuel system status, pull major codes, etc. Does anyone make anything that actually works with a 2014? Thanks!

--nathan
I didn't know the Cts wouldn't work on the 14's. Not sure it's real critical to monitor anyway like the two previous engines. I'm pretty sure you can see oil temp, coolant temp, and trans temp on the factory gauges. If you ever have any intentions on deleting maybe just buy the mini max.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM

I got a response back from a different rep on the insight. He said to give then a call when I could be around the truck and computer, and they would give something a try. They basically loaded a firmware update that defined a VIN for a 2013 to trick it into thinking the truck is a 2013. It was a shot in the dark, but it worked. I haven't had a great deal of time with it to see how reliable it is, but it seems to be working so far. It has reset randomly when running a few times, so it's a bit quirky, but it's reading the PIDs.

Problem solved for now.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siver_pilate View Post
I got a response back from a different rep on the insight. He said to give then a call when I could be around the truck and computer, and they would give something a try. They basically loaded a firmware update that defined a VIN for a 2013 to trick it into thinking the truck is a 2013. It was a shot in the dark, but it worked. I haven't had a great deal of time with it to see how reliable it is, but it seems to be working so far. It has reset randomly when running a few times, so it's a bit quirky, but it's reading the PIDs.

Problem solved for now.
Good to hear. Hopefully it holds up for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.