When do you plug in? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When do you plug in?

I was in Vermont the past week with temps as low as -35 windchill. Went to start my truck and she wouldn't fire. Had to have a buddy tow me to a power outlet and plug in overnight to get her to crank.

At what temp do you plug in?

How long do you leave her plugged in for? Overnight? On a timer for a certain amount of hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've never had any trouble with my '12 starting in the cold weather. The lowest it has seen is in the single digits but I've read on this forum of other guys starting in the negatives with no issues. Might need to have yours checked out.
When I do plug it in, I have it set on a timer for approx. 3 hrs before I will start and us it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM

I don't even have a block heater, and in Michigan right now we are in a deep freeze, has started better than my wife's and her car is in the garage. Did you gel up?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Godo question Tweez.

factoryflood, are you using an additive to prevent gelling? If not, that could have caused the "no start" issue.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Mine has been plugged in since late Sunday night. It is in a garage and has anti-gel from Ford in it AND a full tank of fuel. I have been as low as -40 the last couple of nights. But have been off work since then and have not started it up. I think I will tomorrow or tonight maybe?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM

There was no additive in it. I put stynadine or however it is spelled into the tank at the same time I plugged it in. Do you guys think the gelling could be the issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I usually dont plug mine in but i think im going to start. Started mine for the first time in 2 1/2 days unplugged and boy she was cranky. It was like 1 degree with -22 windchill when i started it. She started fine but after it fired it ran kinda rough and smoked like ive never seen before.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM

I normally plug in at -20c (-5f) or below but have had started without plugging in temps between -25 and -30 temperature without factoring windchill. Never had any issues with fuel gelling and we see temps in the -40 to -45 range for short periods pretty much every winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Gelling is definitely the issue! Keep over 1/2 tank fuel at all times in the cold winter months. Use diesel kleene in the white bottle with the cetane boost. Don't buy the little bottles, get the gallon bottle which is way more bang for your buck. My 6.4 doesn't even have a block heater (which is bull. IDK when Ford/international stopped that deal because I thought all diesels came standard with one) and it starts just fine, even this morning with -40 windchills
Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Fuel gel has nothing to do with plugging block heater in. I plug my 6.4 in almost all winter and ended up with gelled fuel today ......even though I use diesel kleen artic every tank! It was well below zero degrees here in missouri last few days and truck parked outside. I changed fuel filters and will also start using Howes anti gel cetane boost from now on.

Plugging in your truck does help make starting easier by keeping the block warmer. I use 5w40 oil and that helps too. I believe it is recommended to plug in when temps are 20 f or lower. I do it all winter and set a timer to come on 3 hrs before I leave for work. This is all thats needed. The heater is high draw on power and you electric bill will reflect leaving it on all night.

Last edited by sugelle; 01-07-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.