So you switched to all terrains or mud terrains... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So you switched to all terrains or mud terrains...

I'm thinking about ditching my stock tires and switching to A/t's or M/T's. The stock tires are just too wimpy looking for a truck this big! I really prefer the look of the mud tires, but since this truck wont see any off-roading like other vehicles I've owned I'd be more willing to settle for all terrain tires. Anyways, how many of you guys have made a switch to A/T's or M/T's, and what changes did you see? What did you guys think afterwards???

My biggest concern is the drop in fuel mileage. How large of a fuel mileage drop have some of you seen? In particular when going to M/T tires. I know there will be changes in ride comfort and noise.

I am looking at around 35" tires. Unless you guys have not seen a large change when going to 37" tires. Then I would consider a larger 4.5" lift. I'm coming from the gas truck world where small and large tire changes mean re-gearing the truck to do it right. I don't want to mess with the extra labor or expense of re-gearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Albany
Posts: 223
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I went with the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's in 285/65/20 (34.7") on the stock rims. The biggest factor for me was the 3800lb+ load rating as well as the 'wear life' I got out of these on previous trucks I've owned. I rotated them after @5k miles - with probably @1k of that pulling the 5th wheel - and was very happy with the tread wear (or lack thereof).

tires are about .6" bigger and a little heavier than the stock Michelins and with a more aggressive tread pattern. best I can figure I've lost just about 1 mpg or less. I switched to Bilstein shocks and airbags at the same time so I can't say how much the tires themselves changed the ride quality but overall I'm very happy with how it rides. they look good too. the old tires are still on in my sig photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350SD View Post
I went with the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's in 285/65/20 (34.7") on the stock rims. The biggest factor for me was the 3800lb+ load rating as well as the 'wear life' I got out of these on previous trucks I've owned. I rotated them after @5k miles - with probably @1k of that pulling the 5th wheel - and was very happy with the tread wear (or lack thereof).

tires are about .6" bigger and a little heavier than the stock Michelins and with a more aggressive tread pattern. best I can figure I've lost just about 1 mpg or less. I switched to Bilstein shocks and airbags at the same time so I can't say how much the tires themselves changed the ride quality but overall I'm very happy with how it rides. they look good too. the old tires are still on in my sig photo
I have run BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2's on my old truck and on my off-road toy. They have always been fantastic, with little wear and excellent grip. I was looking at the All-Terrain T/A KO's, along with a few others, but the price tag of BFG's always makes me cringe! Especially on 20" rims!!!

I'm glad to hear that you didn't take too bad of a hit in the fuel mileage department. I know the stock tires are just about 35" but I know that A/T and M/T tires have a bigger footprint, and weigh much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 376
Thanks: 2
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I ordered cooper sst that are 35x12.5x20 for my stock wheels. Prolly going to do a pure 4" so it'll stand up a little more. Hoping my mileage doesn't suffer a bunch

Brett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sunbury, PA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had Firestone destination m/t on my '97. best tire for traction in snow I ever had. these tires just keep digging and clawing until they find something they can bite fast to. got about 25,000 out of them, which for an aggressive tire on an f 350 isn't too bad IMO. when I bought my 2011 a few weeks ago it needed tires so I made a deal with the dealer and had him put these tires on. I can't really compare ride or mpg's as I've only had this truck a few weeks and these are the only tires I've had on it, but compared to my '97 this '11 rides like a Cadillac and I'm getting 18-19mpg highway, so I'm happy. these tires are not cheap, about $250 each for 265/70r17's. I bought a used set of Cooper's and extra rims to swap for summer use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
I ordered cooper sst that are 35x12.5x20 for my stock wheels. Prolly going to do a pure 4" so it'll stand up a little more. Hoping my mileage doesn't suffer a bunch

Brett
I would like to do a 4.5" Carli suspension, but I am not a big fan of how they look with 35" tires. Just not enough tire to fill the wheel wells IMO. I think that 37's look best with a 4" lift. Again, just my opinion. I am trying to avoid having to re-gear for 37" tires and a bigger MPG hit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdskidoo View Post
I had Firestone destination m/t on my '97. best tire for traction in snow I ever had. these tires just keep digging and clawing until they find something they can bite fast to. got about 25,000 out of them, which for an aggressive tire on an f 350 isn't too bad IMO. when I bought my 2011 a few weeks ago it needed tires so I made a deal with the dealer and had him put these tires on. I can't really compare ride or mpg's as I've only had this truck a few weeks and these are the only tires I've had on it, but compared to my '97 this '11 rides like a Cadillac and I'm getting 18-19mpg highway, so I'm happy. these tires are not cheap, about $250 each for 265/70r17's. I bought a used set of Cooper's and extra rims to swap for summer use.
I havent looked at Firestone's. My dad had some bad experiences with them in the past. I will check them out though. You think $250 a piece is bad, price them out for 20" wheels!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sunbury, PA
Posts: 180
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by athyen View Post
I would like to do a 4.5" Carli suspension, but I am not a big fan of how they look with 35" tires. Just not enough tire to fill the wheel wells IMO. I think that 37's look best with a 4" lift. Again, just my opinion. I am trying to avoid having to re-gear for 37" tires and a bigger MPG hit though.



I havent looked at Firestone's. My dad had some bad experiences with them in the past. I will check them out though. You think $250 a piece is bad, price them out for 20" wheels!!!
yeah, I'm so glad this truck had 17's. I don't like the look of 20's anyway and dislike the price even more. I had a set of Firestone duelers on my '97 before the destinations and I wasn't impressed with them. only got 20,000 miles out of those tires and not good traction in mud and snow. had a much better experience with the destinations so I put them on the new truck. time will tell on durability, but traction is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Selma, TX
Posts: 315
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews


4.5" Carli lift with 35's

Fills the wheel wells pretty good...


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM
POWERCHOKER
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,670
Thanks: 48
Thanked 107 Times in 98 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I drive on pavement 99% of the time, but I decided to switch to M/T's and I have no regrets. I've been getting the same fuel mileage with a 6" lift & 37s as I did with a 3.5" level & 35s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 632
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" Pure Performance lift w/35"Toyos. Perfect combo imo.






Last edited by steelnc; 01-06-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors