13 mpg towing? I call shenanigans, - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
13 mpg towing? I call shenanigans,

Just drug a 8k TT from Florida to Helen Ga. And back 1300 miles. 9.6 headed north average and 10.5 south bound. I've read rumors of a constant 12.5 to 13 mpg while towing. I can't see how. Other than going 50 mph. But that isn't going to happen on any large interstate. What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to do different? Running 3:55's, 70 to 75 mph. Bone stock. Still have the pizza cutter tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Slow down to 65 and you'll see it go up

Also most travel trailers are giant wind breaks. The flat back of the trailer creates a suction that kills mpg. The trailer in my sig pic was loaded to 15k and I got around 13. Shape has a lot more effect than weight on mpg at cruising speed

Sent from a phone that makes calls too!

Last edited by Teachagmech; 12-31-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM

Sounds about right, I was a bit disappointed in my towing milage as well, especially in stock form(no lift, small stock tires/wheels). I tried going slower(~65mph) and even that only gained me about .5 mpg more over driving 75mph. Quite disappointing after hearing so much about improved milage, towing and just unloaded driving.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's about what I get or less! Get about 10 pulling my 37' fifth wheel, 13 ish pulling my 25' wakeboard boat, 10-11 pulling gooseneck flatbed with tractor or skidsteer. I do get around 15 tho pulling my 4 horse slant gooseneck trailer tho.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM

Yeah, I keep reading about guys running 80 mph, uphill, into a 40 mph head wind, towing 15,000 pound trailers, getting 12 to 13 mpg.

In the real world however, it ain't happening.

I'm a General Contractor in West Texas and have around 25 subcontractors working for me who drive 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Super Duties. All of them are Crew Cabs, 4x4's, F250 & F350, SRW with either the 3.55 or 3.73 axle ratios. We work a lot "out of town", so we put lots of highway miles on our trucks and NONE of us are seeing fuel mileage over 12 mpg towing small enclosed trailers and the guys towing the larger enclosed trailers or open trailers with equipment are typically getting 10 to 11 mpg.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:50 AM

I humbly disagree. You can get 12.5 to 13.5 towing BUT it will depend on your truck's configuration. I built my truck to tow and it's not the usual truck sold off the lot at dealers.

F-350 SWR Lariat Ext. cab (not Crew), 2wd (not 4x4), 3.31 (not 3.55, 3.73, etc), All season tires (not AT), standard size:LT275/70x18E (not 35's or 10" wide), always use cetane booster ever tank (not ever once in a while or when I think of it), 5w-40 full syn oil (not 10w-30, 15w-40, or any dino oil), tow my 5th wheel at 65 mph (not 70,75 or 80) tires inflated to 65 front and 80 rear (not what ever they were in last August), trailer tires inflated to 75 (not what ever they were last time I checked?).

Not trying to be a turd but it all makes a difference and just because you can't get 13 mpg may or may not be your fault do to many variables in the big picture of how different our trucks are and how we treat and use them.
ROCKET VAPOR likes this.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yea you def need to slow er down you have a parachute behind you most truckers will tell you the wind drag from 60 MPH to 67 MPH is enough to cost you some big money especially in a big rig were on a good day your only getting 8 mpg . Another thing is your RPM range if slow er down and lock out 6th that will put you around 2k which will greatly reducing lugging which raises engine load. At 2k with 8k behind you your engine load will probably be around 20-24% (that's usually where I'm at on my insight ) which will give you better mileage. You might want to invest in an Insight CS you can usually get em for 275 and you can read your engine load and other goodies and just see what works best for your truck . My Cummins towed best around 2200 but the powerstroke hates being over 2k it killllllllls the mileage but keeps the EGTs super low , its all give and take haha
Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM

glad to see some honest figures being thrown out. It's so often that guys will inflate their claimed mpg just to impress someone and maybe make themselves feel better. No, I don't believe your lifted Cummins gets 22mpg pulling a 40ft GN at 80mph.

I haven't towed with my new one yet, but I'll be making a 2000mi round trip in March with a 8000# 24ft enclosed car hauler, so I'll try to remember to revive the thread with actual mileage. I'm not expecting any better than 10-11, as I'm too used to towing at 70mph. I realize I could get better, but with that long of a haul, I'd rather spend the few extra bucks and get there sooner. I doubt slowing to 65 would get me more than an additional 0.5-1mpg, so I'd rather have the hour shorter drive.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygearhead View Post
I humbly disagree. You can get 12.5 to 13.5 towing BUT it will depend on your truck's configuration. I built my truck to tow and it's not the usual truck sold off the lot at dealers.

F-350 SWR Lariat Ext. cab (not Crew), 2wd (not 4x4), 3.31 (not 3.55, 3.73, etc), All season tires (not AT), standard size:LT275/70x18E (not 35's or 10" wide), always use cetane booster ever tank (not ever once in a while or when I think of it), 5w-40 full syn oil (not 10w-30, 15w-40, or any dino oil), tow my 5th wheel at 65 mph (not 70,75 or 80) tires inflated to 65 front and 80 rear (not what ever they were in last August), trailer tires inflated to 75 (not what ever they were last time I checked?).

Not trying to be a turd but it all makes a difference and just because you can't get 13 mpg may or may not be your fault do to many variables in the big picture of how different our trucks are and how we treat and use them.
You're not being a turd, you're just in the minority.

Ford sells more CrewCab 4x4 Super Duty pick-ups than any other configuration and I'm guessing that 90% of the Forum's Members are driving "this" truck and those are the guys saying that they get 13 mpg pulling anything, 15-16 mpg in stop & go traffic and 20+ on the highway running at the rev limiter.

You're correct: Less weight and moving parts should yield better fuel economy (Super Cab versus Crew Cab and 4x2 versus 4x4). The 3.31 axle helps, but when you mate it to the 18" wheels & tires, the net result is the same RPMs as a truck running a 3.55 with 20" wheels & tires, so other than the weight of the wheels & tires themselves, there probably isn't much fuel savings. I also know for a fact that if you set up a vehicle in these particular configurations, that you'll take a pretty big HIT when it comes time to trade.

I'm not sure which Cetane Booster you're using, but there's a great article somewhere here on the forum and on the Internet comparing this products. The more popular ones are the Klean Diesel products, which have proved to be no better than cheap Walmart 2-cycle outboard motor oil. I prefer the Opti-Lube products because of their lubricating qualities. I've seen very little improvement in fuel economy, but my engines have all run quieter.

I've been driving Powerstrokes since 2001 and have logged close to 700,000 miles in 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and now the 6.7 engines. I do all of my own maintenance and check every tank of fuel for mpg. In all of those miles, trying different weights, brands and synthetic oils, I haven't seen any increase in mpg with synthetic oil. On the pre-6.7 trucks, I settled in on either the Motorcraft or Rotella 15w40 dyno oils. I'm running the Rotella T5 semi-synthetic 10W30 in my new 6.7, mainly because it is readily available and I trust Rotella products.

Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the winter fuel, which you never know when and where you're going to get it. I've seen winter fuel cost me as much as 3 mpg in all driving situations.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:39 PM

I know I never get the mpg's everyone advertises. Just a safety thought, unless you have LT tires on your trailer, the ST tires on there aren't rated to go beyond 60mph. My next purchase will be 16" wheels and LT tires for my trailer. The trailer tires are rated for weight, not speed. My last trip, I averaged 10.5 going 60 mph my trailer loaded is about 9K. Truck has 3.55 gears, 4x4, CCSB. I notice about a 1 mpg loss for every 5-7 mph above 60 that I go. The speed seems to be my biggest contributor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.