Considering Tradiing Up. Opinions and Experience Desired. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering Tradiing Up. Opinions and Experience Desired.

First off, hello all, as I have been lurking for a little while but decided to finally signup and dive in.

I know there are a few similar "new truck" threads out there but I think I have a few unanswered questions. So here we go, be gentle to the newbie...

Currently I am driving this:

2006 GMC Duramax CCSB with...
125k miles
4" turbo back
EGR delete
Edge Insight
EFI Live and DSP 5 switch normally running Idaho Rob's 100hp economy tune
(currently averaging 16-17mpg overall, while pushing over 20 on the highway)

The opportunity to get a new truck has presented itself but I'm still struggling with the decision. The truck will be used as a daily driver, to pull a 10k work boat, and haul snowmachines (snowmobiles for all you lower 48ers) to the hills during the winter. If I pull the trigger I'm leaning towards a F350 crew cab, short box. What I like about the truck is the interior size and features, pretty impressive stock hp/torque numbers, (although my tuned Dmax is still "faster") and the overall "feel/look" of the truck. What I'm most concerned about is all the emission junk on the new diesels. There doesn't seem to be an excessive amount of issues with the 6.7 that I've seen so far and I have been fairly impressed with my father's '11. So....,

What am I missing? Good? Bad? Ugly?
Are the emissions as big of a pain as I'm afraid?
There looks to be about 85 hp DPF on tunes?
Can you still delete the emissions? And will that still be an option by the time my warranty is up in a couple years?
How much power power is available on a deleted, stock truck?
What is the limiting factor power wise post delete? Fuel system?
Before any changes, how will the MPG compare to my current truck?
It seems people are seeing a small but noticeable MPG increase after deleting?
I've heard rumors of improvements on the 15s? Is it worth waiting? Any known info?
How big of a difference does the electric heater make in cold climates? Seems like that could be pretty slick!
Other ideas, suggestions, comments, rants, etc??

Thanks for the input, sorry for the long first post.

PV

Last edited by pura vida; 12-29-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've had in the following order since 2010

2010 ltz duramax
2011 longhorn cummins dually
2012 longhorn cummins dually
2013 f250 lariat

The ford is by far my favorite. The duramax is a close second. I have no regrets about my ford. I would offer you some advice. To me it seems the number 1 complaint ifs guys getting short beds and being stuck with the 26ish gallon fuel tank. I have the long bed and it's 37 gallons. Makes a huge difference when pulling.

A 10k lb boat is nothing anymore to these trucks. I'd gross 40k with my cummins and pull a 17k toy hauler with the ford. I only deleted the second dodge. The first one was a lemon and had I deleted, I would be stuck with it still. Warranty is important to me so my h&s sits on the shelf until I get to 100k. If I had ordered my truck it would've had the supplemental heat.

Brett
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyshakelford For This Useful Post:
pura vida (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 AM

F250

Good morning, and welcome to the forum group! I purchased my first diesel this past year and it is a 2012 F250 CCSB, and I must say I have been impressed thus far. The only thing that bugs me about the short bed is the small fuel tank, I do a lot of driving in the ole oil patch and fill up daily. The manual says 26, but I have never put more than 20.5 maybe 21 gallons and that's on E. Now for the emissions part, not to scare you, but there is one issue that I ran into, I was driving down the highway and had a EGT sensor fail. the truck will tell you to pull over safely and then it "might" shut off on you. I say might because I was lucky and mine stayed on long enough for me to limp into the ford house. Its an issue that I have read threads about and guys have had their trucks towed into Ford for this issue. My next step is complete delete after the warranty is up! happy hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to ChickenMcSuckIT For This Useful Post:
pura vida (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input. I do really like my current truck but it is currently in the shop for a the second transfer case replacement in 12 months (and I'm really easy on my four wheel drive). I also looked at a new Dmax Denali but was not overly impressed with it compared to my current truck. Pretty much had the same options, except for a heated steering wheel, which isn't a big deal to me. If I get a new truck, I'm 90% decided on a new 350, I'm pretty impressed with the overall feel of the truck compared to the Denali. Any solid info on the changes coming to the 15s? Although I seriously doubt I'll get overly carried away with power tunes down the road, I'm concerned the deleting option will get harder and harder to do down the road. Had one local diesel shop tell me if I buy a new truck, and ever thought I would want to do a delete, to buy the tuner now as they won't be able to be found fairly soon. He quoted me $1750 for the H&S. And I definitely am not a fan of the small take on the short beds but I decidedly do not need or want a long be. My 05 8.1L CCSB had a 36 gallon tank, why isn't that an option on the diesels??

PV

Last edited by pura vida; 12-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pura vida View Post
Thanks for the input. I do really like my current truck but it is currently in the shop for a the second transfer case replacement in 12 months (and I'm really easy on my four wheel drive). I also looked at a new Dmax Denali but was not overly impressed with it compared to my current truck. Pretty much had the same options, except for a heated steering wheel, which isn't a big deal to me. If I get a new truck, I'm 90% decided on a new 350, I'm pretty impressed with the overall feel of the truck compared to the Denali. Any solid info on the changes coming to the 15s? Although I seriously doubt I'll get overly carried away with power tunes down the road, I'm concerned the deleting option will get harder and harder to do down the road. Had one local diesel shop tell me if I buy a new truck, and ever thought I would want to do a delete, to buy the tuner now as they won't be able to be found fairly soon. He quoted me $1750 for the H&S. And I definitely am not a fan of the small take on the short beds but I decidedly do not need or want a long be. My 05 8.1L CCSB had a 36 gallon tank, why isn't that an option on the diesels??

PV
Titan makes a replacement fuel tank. Pull your factory 26 gallon tank out, put the 50 gallon Titan in. Voila, issue is solved. It's about $1000 but worth it for many.

$1750 sounds about right for the race-tuning DPF off H&S from what I've been able to find. I'm also waiting for my warranty to expire before deleting or doing anything engine/exhaust wise. I'm about about 27k miles now on my 2013. I love the truck. I feel they covered all their bases on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to fordtrix For This Useful Post:
pura vida (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I had looked into the titan but decided against it. It would be preferable for sure, but the smaller tank hasn't ended up bothering me that much. Hell, I get more miles out the 26 gallon tank on the Dmax than I did with the 36 gallon tank on the 8.1!

I was a little surprised with the cost of the H&S I guess b/c I spent right around 2K for everything listed in my original post including a back up camera. Still cheaper than a gas rig thought! Was the mechanic correct that the race tuners are going to become harder and harder to find and I need to buy it sooner than later if I'm going to eventually want one?

PV
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM

if I were I would wait for the 15 they upgraded a lot including the turbo which is known as the weak point in the current trucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mfpowerstrok For This Useful Post:
pura vida (12-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.