any duramax to powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any duramax to powerstroke

hey
lookin for help ! well i've been driving a duramax's now for 8 years or so. now i have been looking in the ford lots, i like the looks of the new f350 srw, have any of you gone from gm to ford, are the tranys holding up to snow plowing.? thats realy got me worried about switching.

im not looking to slam duramax more like a ford brag.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just went from a 2005 Dmax to a 2011 F250 6.7L. Didn't have any problems with the Duramax. I wanted a newer truck with less miles and I didn't like the interior offerings from GM. I wanted a front bench seat and I couldn't get the options from GM that the Ford offered. I like the truck so far. I still have an '02 Dmax pulling truck, so now I have to pull into the pits driving a ford and pulling a Chevy. I'll get some crap for that...
Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also, if you are planning on towing much you better plan on installing airbags on this thing.

I don't think the shifting and reverse delays are as big of a problem on the 13's and 14's atleast I haven't heard much about it. Most of the research I have done shows it on the 11's mostly and some 12's.

Also you will love the size of the cab. Its something that I will definitely miss if I do jump ship back to GM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:35 PM

I bought a '14 F250 a couple months ago and have had zero issues with the transmission shifting hard (so far at least). I know the Allison has a very good reputation and in my test driving, I really liked it. I liked a lot of things better about the Ford, but I can't say the transmission was one of them. The Chevy and Ford were close, I honestly think it boils down to GM has the programming figured out a little better. As far as strength goes, both are brutes, just check out the diesel power challenge videos on youtube.

On a side note, we have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 and the old 4 speed auto and that has held up to snow plow duty and towing duty and 190,000 miles of other farm work. I have to believe this new trans and torque converter are better than that old 4 speed.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 AM

05 Duramax LT Crew SB to a used 2012 Ford f350 CC SB SRW. Had the Duramax from 05 to July 4th of this year, and put 115K miles on it from 05 to 13. Great truck, no problems, serious anyway. I made the switch as I'm not brand loyal and I heard really good things about the Ford 6.7. Several customers of mine bought them and liked them also. Six months into the Ford and 12K miles, I love this thing. Powerful, roomy cab, nice seats(IMHO). It does drive like a truck though, and it is a heavy duty truck, which is exactly what I wanted.
On a side note you really have to pay attention to the maintenance intervals on these newer trucks. Some of the issues are a little pricey, but I think with proper maintenance this truck has the capability to last a substantial amount of miles. One friend ignored the coolant flushes..... got him a $2300 radiator change at 85K miles.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Went from a 2004 Duramax to 2011 Powerstroke. Love the bone stock power of this 6.7 over the Duramax which needed programs or boxes to do. I do miss the Allison, had a transmission housing crack right out of the box which addressed as well as a hard shift from 1st to 2nd which was also addressed. When you change driving styles, highway to city it sometimes gets a little confused but other than that no problems and no regrets.

You'll love this Ford!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.