My exhaust brake controller is now in testing!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My exhaust brake controller is now in testing!!!!

Alright guys so i have been working on building an electronic exhaust brake controller and it is now working and finally in testing. I do have alot of testing to do before i do anything with it. You can hear a slight jake brakish sound when it is on It comes on approximately 2 seconds after you let off the throttle and are above 15 mph. If the exhaust brake is on and you set cruise control, it will turn cruise control off in order to avoid engine damage.

I have a few questions for you guys.

First, would anyone be interested in purchasing one?

What features would you want to come with it such as: lcd screen display, multiple braking levels, speed control with exhaust brake?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 04:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I really don't see a need for one. People seem to like the factory tow haul feature. Also the cost and void of the warranty would be a turn off for me
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is this just software for the factory exhaust braking from the VGT turbo?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:39 AM

It is a standalone controller simialar to bd power and banks. It does not flash(tune) the trucks computer. The controller will have a pushbutton so you can either have ford's "factory exhaust braking" or increased exhaust braking throughout all gears and rpms with the controller that i am currently testing.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 AM

I would be interested in it. The more simple it is the less to go wrong. Something simple would be like the switch the 06-07 dodges get for their jake exhaust brake. On or off.

Brett
Old 12-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Thank you for you input.
Now i can either implement a toggle switch or a push button switch to turn the exhaust brake on or off. The push button switch would require you to push it to enable the exhaust brake everytime you start the truck while with the toggle switch, if it is left in the on position the exhaust brake will remain enabled everytime you start the truck. Input on this?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchedwards View Post
Thank you for you input.
Now i can either implement a toggle switch or a push button switch to turn the exhaust brake on or off. The push button switch would require you to push it to enable the exhaust brake everytime you start the truck while with the toggle switch, if it is left in the on position the exhaust brake will remain enabled everytime you start the truck. Input on this?
On my 06 dodge I left it on 100% of the time. It was a toggle on the gear selector. On my 11 and 12 cummins I had to turn it on every time I started the truck. There was never a time when I didn't want it on except iced roads. It was more aggressive when in tow haul mode.

Brett
Old 12-28-2013, 08:20 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mind telling us how this system works?? I know on the 6.0 any good custom tuner will not tune in a jake brake option because it over works the factory valve springs and a couple other reasons as well so in other words not good for the truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 AM

I think i will implement it with a toggle switch as i have it already then because i feel the same way, thanks for your input.

The controller works by closing the vanes in the turbo in order to maintain 35 - 40 psi of backpressure to keep it simple. There is a lot of other things that go on behind the scenes so if you want to know all of the specifics let me know.

I have read some of the stories about it is not good for the turbo and whatnot but in all honesty, that is a joke. Under full throttle conditions the turbo sees upwards of 50 psi of drive pressure. The vanes are also constantly moving under normal driving conditions (especially during city driving) so this does not put additional stress onto the turbo itself. In regards to valve damage due to an exhaust brake that is possible if you exceed what the valves can withstand in regards to back pressure. I have contacted several companies (including valve spring companies) about the 6.7 powerstroke and they all said it can handle 50 psi of backpressure before valve float will occur. I have restricted the exhaust brake controller to only 40 psi to ensure valve float and in turn engine damage does not occur.

Also as a side note, the gm trucks use a turbo vane system simialr to that of what is in our trucks which are both made by garrett/honeywell and the gm exhaust brake is doing exactly what my controller is doing. The advantage to the gm trucks is that they can handle upwards of 60 psi of backpressure before valve float and therefore have a stronger exhaust brake.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

I'm interested. I've always wondered why none of the tuning companies offered anything like this before. Will it plug into the OBDII? Mine is occupodo by my MiniMaxx so that could seriously limit my interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.