Unbelievable Accident - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unbelievable Accident

A few weeks ago on a dark rainy / icy night I managed to hit a car in a parking lot. I have never hit another vehicle before. I was next to a Honda Accord. Both of us parked backed in. So, I was pulling forward and to the right to exit. There was a truck with the rear end sticking out a bit and I was preoccupied with trying to cut sharp enough not to bump him. I completely forgot how close I was to the Honda and my rear passenger side tire caught the front bumper of the car. I barely felt it and more heard than felt something happen. Just a crunching sound like someone crushing styrofoam.

I stopped to find this behind me...

Unbelievable Accident-imageuploadedbyautoguide1388107549.521270.jpg
Unbelievable Accident-imageuploadedbyautoguide1388107564.769883.jpg
Unbelievable Accident-imageuploadedbyautoguide1388107578.534031.jpg

Meanwhile, my truck had two tiny scratches on the fender guard. $300 later my truck is as if nothing happened. The Honda though was older and I totaled it.

Felt terrible about it. At the same time though I was stunned at how my truck did all that and suffered almost nothing at all in the process. Dang!

Unbelievable Accident-imageuploadedbyautoguide1388107727.967612.jpg

Can see basically no damage in this photo the next morning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
By the looks of the hood on the honda you did them a favor haha
Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah it wasn't in great shape to begin with. But, it was owned by a worker in the restaurant who is a single mom trying to make ends meet. I felt pretty bad. She needs the car and not a check that probably won't barely get her into another pretty old and questionably reliable car.

It felt even worse that my truck barely had a scratch on it. It was my fault but I suffered almost no loss at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to newbold1 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had something similar happen a couple weeks ago. It wasn't my fault at all I was in my widest truck and some kid T bones us. We ended up with a little scratch in the clear cost, his moms can was bad.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
Yeah it wasn't in great shape to begin with. But, it was owned by a worker in the restaurant who is a single mom trying to make ends meet. I felt pretty bad. She needs the car and not a check that probably won't barely get her into another pretty old and questionably reliable car.

It felt even worse that my truck barely had a scratch on it. It was my fault but I suffered almost no loss at all.
You got a good heart, tell her to buy that piece back and zip tie it back together.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

At least I went in to find the owner. It would have been easy to drive off since my truck was fine and no one was around to witness what happened. I wouldn't do that but I know there are people out there that would have taken off leaving that woman to find her car like that at the end of her evening shift.

Fortunately with the bumper off her car was drivable and both the headlights worked. So she wasn't completely "stuck".

Hopefully my insurance took good care of her. I'll never really know since they don't really tell me anything about her claim.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Don't you worry about it

My buddy bought a brand new 4x4 F250 in 2003 and pulled into the grocery store and some guy in a Miata pulled up and parked beside him. He comes out of the store, jumps in the truck cuts it to the right and drove over the hood of the miata so you're not the only one.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's a bummer man. Parking can be a real b**ch if the rows aren't spaced out enough. I was maneuvering in a parking lot once and noticed I was really close to a yellow transformer guard, but I corrected and was able to get out. However, a week later I had my truck washed and noticed a dent with yellow paint marks below my fuel tank and it took me a few moments to realize what had happened. It really is hard to feel anything regarding minor collisions.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I received the new fender guard, got it painted, and swapped it out last night. Looks like nothing happened. Pretty easy to swap these except that two sided industrial tape stuff is a mess to remove and doesn't forgive much if you don't line it up perfectly before it touches the truck.

Unbelievable Accident-imageuploadedbyautoguide1388160657.895968.jpg

Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I received a text message today from the woman who's car I destroyed. She said my insurance paid her enough to replace her car with a better one than she had.

So... I guess it all worked out. I am glad. Feeling a little less guilty now.

The Following User Says Thank You to newbold1 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (12-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.