250 or 350 SRW for pulling a gooseneck horse trailer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
250 or 350 SRW for pulling a gooseneck horse trailer?

I currently drive a 2002 f350 dually with the 7.3. I am pretty certain I am about to trade it in on a new 2013 to take advantage of the 0% financing, but I am having a hard time deciding between the F250 Lariat and the F350 Lariat SRW, both in short bed. My dually is a bit big for daily use, so it was either get another car, or downsize a bit. The new truck will be diesel. I currently have a 3 horse featherlite gooseneck trailer which weighs about 3000 lbs. At max with 3 horses and gear(which is rare), maybe coming in around 7000 lbs. I understand that the only difference between these two models is the badgeing and an extra leafspring in the rear. I may upgrade to a bigger trailer down the road.

So my question is, am I better off with the F250 or F350? The pickings are very slim on Long Island with 2013's in the Lariat trim with the Diesel in a color I can tolerate. We are literally talking 5 250's and only 2 350's, so deciding between the two really narrows down my possible options greatly.

PS, just to head this of at the pass, I am aware of the limitations of a short bed pulling a gooseneck. My featherlite is a 7' wide with a tapered nose, and will not be a problem. I am aware that if I upgrade to a larger trailer, I will lose some maneuverability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 07:30 AM

Id go 250. It will be plenty good enough. With loads that light a 1 ton would be a waste imho

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Even if they are virtually identically priced? I think the 350 may be $100 more than the 250. The decision between which one determines which dealership I go to and what colors are available to me, thats the main reason why figuring this out is so important. I have pretty much narrowed my options down to 1 350 at one dealership, or between 2 250's at two different dealerships.

What about resale value, would one be more valuable than the other down the road?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:44 AM

Now that you mention the price difference.. 350. One can infer a 350 would bring more resale but I cannot tell you for sure. Let's put it this way. The 250 is plenty enough truck for what you need, but with a 350 beingso cheap it might be wise to go that route just to possibly get more resale.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd go 350 for the price especially if you may get a larger trailer in the future.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 AM

rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
350 srw and f250 srw are basically the same truck, same frame, the f250 can be optioned with f350 springs

i believe the f350 has a higher gcwr and gvwr to legally tow heavier loads is the major difference and some states cost more to register.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

I'd go with the F350 because even though you'll have the extra support it's better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

Also I agree NY is horrible for buying these trucks and I had to go to Jersey to get mine. I suggest doing the build it now thing on Ford's website and pick what you want and have Ford either build it for you or pick from related ones. I did the build it now myself as I was bored and only found about 4 F350's where 1 or 2 were Lariats within 10 dealerships. The rest were F250's and mostly XLT's.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:12 AM

I'd go with the F350. I don't "need" the F350 I have...but when I want to legally tow at the max or load payload to max - I can. And, the payload is a fair difference.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM

F-250 just because I have one! Someone had to stick up for the 3/4 ton's haha. If your never going to pull more than you plan to, why overkill it and pay more at registration time? Just my opinion. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.