User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel - noisy fuel pump

When my fuel is low, I've noticed the fuel pump whines, sometimes pretty loud. While filling the tank up, the whine progressively gets quieter as the fuel level increases.

I can't pinpoint where the whine is coming from, almost sounds like from under the hood.

Has anyone has this happen?

2012 F-350 Lariat 4x4 6.7 PSD
Platinum metallic / adobe accent

"Your worthy Sir Topham Hatt thinks I need to learn. He is mistaken. We Diesels don't need to learn, we know everything. We come to a yard and improve it. We are revolutionary!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think there is a SSM on this and its normal operation.

2013 F250 Lariat 4x4 Loaded. H&S mini maxx, 5" exhaust, S&B intake, and EGR delete, AMP steps, tonneau cover

2011 F150 Ecoboost FX4 Screw. All stock except for a livernois Tuner. SOLD!

Early 99 CCLB Pro comp 6.5" lift w 18" hulk wheels wrapped in 37" KM2s, Amp steps, Straight pipe, AIS intake, Dp Tuner, isspro gauges (boost,trans,pyro), 05 front clip, traction bars, 6.0L trans cooler, built trans.SOLD!!
post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can you post a copy of the SSM?

2012 F-250 6.7L 4x4 Lariat CCSB, Titan 51gal, BDS 4" kit with Fox Shox, Toyo AT II 35/12.50R20, Ranch Hands front and rear

2007 F-150 King Ranch 4x4 2" Autospring, Bilstein 5100s on all four corners. Nitto A/T 285s.

2005 Chevy Tahoe 5.3l 2WD
post #4 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When the fuel level is low and the fuel sloshes around in the tank, it starts to suck up air into the lines. What you hear is actually the lines vibrating.... if you grab the lines on the secondary fuel filter (the one on the engine) while it's doing it you'll be able to feel them vibrating really fast, causing the buzzing sound you hear. Usually cycling the key off and back on takes care of it

Here's the SSM....

"44238 2011-2014 - F-Super Duty - 6.7L - Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module (DFCM) Vibration/Buzzing/Growl
Some 2011-2014 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may exhibit a vibration/buzz/growl noise from the DFCM and/or low pressure fuel lines. If the noise is experienced when the fuel level is at or below 1/4 tank, this is a normal characteristic and is due to slight amounts of air entering the fuel system during low fuel level conditions. No repairs should be attempted. Fuel system and vehicle durability as well as vehicle drivability and distance to empty (DTE) are not affected. If the noise is occurring with the fuel level above 1/4 tank, follow Pin Point Test MA in the on-line PC/ED to diagnose the low pressure fuel system. The DFCM should not be replaced for audible noises until the fuel filters have been replaced and the system reevaluated.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 16-OCTOBER-2013"

-Jared

Alloy Grey '07 Edge SEL - 114k miles, the young pup
Black '89 Accord LX-i - 437k and still kicking
Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 267k going strong

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi

post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Jared for posting this!

Good to see it is normal. I wonder why you don't get noise like this on other types of vehicles?

2012 F-350 Lariat 4x4 6.7 PSD
Platinum metallic / adobe accent

"Your worthy Sir Topham Hatt thinks I need to learn. He is mistaken. We Diesels don't need to learn, we know everything. We come to a yard and improve it. We are revolutionary!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode