New diesel owner.... Excited and nervous - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New diesel owner.... Excited and nervous

Hey yall. I've been on and off on the forum for a while just lurking and decided to get out of my escalade esv and get a f250. I miss having truck and loved my f150 I had but hated it when I had to tow anything. I'm picking up my 13 ccsb lariat 4x4 in the morning and wanted to see if yall can give me a run down on what I need to do and not do. And know about things like the water separator for the fuel that I didn't know existed. I won't be towing much now but have a business opportunity come spring that I will be but I'm thinking I'll keep it stock while under warranty.
I'd appreciate anything yall can tell me or things specifically I need to search.
I live in Clarksville tn so we don't usually have too bad of winters.
Thanks yall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorboy112 View Post
Hey yall. I've been on and off on the forum for a while just lurking and decided to get out of my escalade esv and get a f250. I miss having truck and loved my f150 I had but hated it when I had to tow anything. I'm picking up my 13 ccsb lariat 4x4 in the morning and wanted to see if yall can give me a run down on what I need to do and not do. And know about things like the water separator for the fuel that I didn't know existed. I won't be towing much now but have a business opportunity come spring that I will be but I'm thinking I'll keep it stock while under warranty.
I'd appreciate anything yall can tell me or things specifically I need to search.
I live in Clarksville tn so we don't usually have too bad of winters.
Thanks yall!
Use the search option on this forum. You will find the answers to all of your questions and answers to things you didn't think you wanted to know about. Just remember there's a lot if good info and a lot of people's personal opinions. Take what you want and enjoy.

Welcome to the world of diesels. It is also easy to over think the things you need to do with a diesel truck. A lot of short drives will be the biggest problem you can make for yourself

Jason
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You must be excited! I picked up my leftover stock 2012 CCSB FX4 about a month ago, and have been loving life since. Have put 2500 miles on mine since I picked it up with zero problems.

Just a few things different with diesel vs. gas to be aware of, all of which you can search here for more details.

1. Fuel quality is IMPORTANT. Buy from a reputable major brand station that moves a lot of diesel fuel. It's worth it to drive a few extra miles, or pay a few more cents per gallon to get fresh, dry (water-free) diesel.

2. Change your fuel filters on schedule.

3. Empty 4-6 ounces of fuel from the water separator drain once a month into a CLEAR diesel-resistant container (I use a glass mason jar). You can easily see any water that might have drained out.

Short drives as Jason mentioned are bad. It will lead to soot build up in the DPF which results in lots of regeneration cycles (regens) as a result, which hurt fuel economy quite a bit and may eventually necessitate a replacement DPF. These trucks are made to be driven a lot.

Welcome aboard!

Greg
Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do yall recommend on the break In? She has 200 miles now. Delivered yesterday with 126miles.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I commute 7 miles to work. My regens increase when this is the only driving I do, but the trucks are designed to clean the filter through regen. I've had mine for 26,000 miles. This month is the first time it actually asked me to drive until filter is clean. So, I took a side road to get home.

Break in....read your diesel supplement for information from Ford. I just drove mine normally. Did I step on it once in a while? Yep. Did I vary the engine load? Yep. I highly recommend getting an oil analysis done once in a while to understand how your engine is breaking in. I use Blackstone labs. Very quick turn around and they actually provide commentary as you get data on your truck. You don't have to do this...but it's piece of mind for me to know what's really going on.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Blackstone is a good lab. I typically use Petroleum Technologies in Grand Rapids, MI. They provide fast turn-around and provide your last 4 analysis on the same report for comparison. I think you can get more if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.