Mud Flaps or Fender Flares - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mud Flaps or Fender Flares

Debating on weather to go with one or the other. Pros and Cons would help my decision making. Thanks in advance. Note that I have already installed the aftermarket plastic wheel wells and had it under coated. I am trying make this truck last for a long time and doing what I can to delay the inevitable rust!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fender flares won't keep everything coming off the tires off of the paint and neither will mud flaps if you are running larger tires. If you are going to stay stock I would go with mud flaps.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would agree. Plus a lot of times fender flares will actually do more harm than good to the paint.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Beware of the Ford molded plastic flaps.

These will rub the paint off the outside of your wheelwells.
I ran them about a year and the paint was gone.

Never would have noticed if I hadn't removed them to install different flaps for wider rims and tires.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Look into Dura Flap mudflats. Been using them for a few years now with no issues. No rips or tears and they don't look like they've been beaten by the mud, rain, snow, and slush.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM

If you are going to be in a lot of mud or snow the flaps may get ripped off or damaged. I use Duraflaps to keep rocks from hitting my RV and they work well but I don't get into mud or snow.

Oversized tires would do better with flares I think.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have no plans to run larger tires. When I replace the OEMs I may g up one size however still within the wheel well. I am looking for stone chip protection. I am considering the flares as they appear to cover the metal wheel well flange. My concern with either is the trapping of salt behind them contributing to the rust that I am trying delay. This truck will only be driven 3 to 4,000 miles a year at best to tow my Toy hauler for off roading. The plan is to keep it for at least 12 years. Yea I know that's pretty funny!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM

Has anybody tried that spray on ,clear paint protection stuff that you can just peal off and re- apply?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
I have no plans to run larger tires. When I replace the OEMs I may g up one size however still within the wheel well. I am looking for stone chip protection. I am considering the flares as they appear to cover the metal wheel well flange. My concern with either is the trapping of salt behind them contributing to the rust that I am trying delay. This truck will only be driven 3 to 4,000 miles a year at best to tow my Toy hauler for off roading. The plan is to keep it for at least 12 years. Yea I know that's pretty funny!
I went with OEM fender flares because their held on with 3M tape that adhere to your fender as well as screws in the wheel well. I kept reading about the aftermarket fender flares and they all appear to have a rubber seal that rests against your fender, which traps dirt and debris and eventually leads to paint rubbing. OEM fender flares with the 3M tape protects the paint a little better (IMO).

Then I installed the OEM molded mud flaps that secure over the fender flare. Sure, it'll trap dirt and likely rub the paint. but, I like the looks of the molded flaps and worst case scenario; it's rubbing paint on a plastic parts and won't be noticed unless I remove the flaps.

I've been thinking of removing the mud flaps and spraying that small area will clear plast-dip and then re-installing the mud flap. This might help protect the paint on the fender flare.

Here is the thread on my fender flare install after I found some factory take-off on eBay: OEM Fender Flare Install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.