Long bed bounce - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long bed bounce

When I first bought my toyhauler I noticed it would do this surging bounce and there was no way I could live with that. I added Firestone bags and it helped a ton but didn't eliminate it.
I'm hoping I can afford the Carli pintop set up. I'm wondering if this will eliminate it or help at all.
Sorry if this has been talked about.. Hoping for some input. Feedback etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine has it loaded and empty, so did my 07. Both between 70 and 80 kph
Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your hauler is a 5th wheel, I think you are describing a situation called "chucking". Pretty common with fivers in certain conditions. Mine does it going downhill at about 3% grade at speed limit on cruise control. Since this only happens once in a while, I do not worry about it. I can speed up or slow down a few mph and come out of it. After the grade changes, the issue stops.

There are several "upgraded" pin boxes you can put on your trailer to stop chucking. These also smooth out the ride a lot I hear. Get on an RV forum and you will learn more.

By adding air bags you only made the suspension stiffer so the chucking is not noticed.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replay.. Yeah its a 5th. 40' Fuzion. I'll check into the "Pin Box"
Thanks Again!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hmmm

Mine dose that but I figured it was cus my shocks are bad..
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The pintop will make the rear more predictable and the larger shocks will help control the load. If you went with full replacement springs out back and our long travel airbags, you'd have the best ride we offer as well as the ability to haul just about anything. That said, the added control of the larger diameter shocks will be worth their weight in gold. If the bounce is coming from the trailer and not the rear end of your truck, it won't eliminate it but will help control it.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was hoping you'd reply. Depending on cost I will be going with the spring upgrade.

What I found so far is I may want to updrade the pin box on the trailer..Also I may adjust the B&W 5th a bit more forward over the axle as now I think I am centered...I'll look when I get home.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM

OK, Brian, first off congrats on the new Fuzion. We love ours and it is the FZ310 model at 37 feet. You should know that 40 footer is overloading your F250 legally but hundreds of RVers are doing the same. That Ford can handle it but if you get pulled into a scale - your gonna pay!!

Before you drop thousands on a soupped up pin box, let's check a few things first and see if the chucking gets better.

If you have 40k miles or more on your truck you may want to invest in some quality shocks first. The vendor who posted above is right on about control and when your life depends on controlling thousands of pounds, shocks are the key. Believe it or not, the front shocks are just as important towing trailers as the rears are so plan on buying four.

If your truck has the factory 5th wheel prep package, take a close look at the hitch mount frame that sets down in the bed mounts. It is possible to turn the mount around and have the saddle (5th wheel) centered over the rear portion of it. The saddle should be centered over the front closer to the cab. Look closely at this as it is only about a 3 or 4 inch change but it is important.You'll have plenty of room to turn with a long bed. If you need to change the mount just pull TWO pins that hold saddle to mount frame and lift saddle off. Remove the mount frame and turn it around. Now just put the saddle back on and you have it right.

Next, check tire pressure on truck AND trailer. Run the truck as Ford recommends and run the trailer tires at max pressure listed on sidewall.

How you load your RV can impact chucking too. I find having the fresh water tank pretty full helps a lot as that extra weight goes on the truck because the tank is forward of the trailer axles. This is especially helpful when I haul both my toys - a full dressed Harley bagger and a RZR side by side.

Join a good RV forum and learn what others do to solve problems. Be sure to save time to go camping and enjoy your family time. Be safe on the road and remember, you are towing a huge load. Common sense is your friend.

HAPPY CAMPING!!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advise. I do run 65 psi in the truck and 80 in the trailer when towing.
I run full water tank as well. The chucking is not horrible but If I can improve it I will. The truck has 8k on it and its an Fx4 so the shocks are not worn out yet. Im sure the carli will improve things more so.
My trailer is legal weight for my truck Its an 09' that is 40ft . unloaded its 12,600 and loaded its around 15,000 max with my 1,600 race car and personal items.
I did my research at the time. The truck capacity is 15,400 i think it was and the F350 was only 400 Lbs more at 15,800. Or do you have something that says different?

and here is the link to my actual toyhauler. LMAO..They were asking $38k.I paid $29k...
Used 2009 Keystone RV Fuzion 382 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheels at Folsom Lake RV Center Rancho Cordova California Folsom Lake RV Center

Also my truck did not have the factory underbed kit. I instaled the B&W under bed kit and companion hitch. Pretty sure I can configure the 5th wheel to sit a bit more forward.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM

Check the GVWR on your door sticker. It is prolly 10,000 lbs.

The 2011 F250 I had weighed 8600 with fuel and wife onboard. Add the 3,000 lbs. pin weight of your new hauler and you come up over weight pretty fast. All the other weights will be in check. Axles, combined weight, everything but GVWR. Even your tires are inside the limit.

You can add heavier tires and springs and even air bags and the truck will do fine with the load but a DOT agent is only interested in the door sticker and maybe tire rating. That door sticker weight rating is what DMV charged you for license and the load you paid to carry on the hiway.

I see you bought the RV in SoCal so maybe you live there?? There was a lot of discussion on an RV forum last winter about DOT checking SRW trucks pulling large toy haulers as they came out of Glamis. A lot of F250s and F350 type trucks got busted pretty bad. I know your truck can handle that huge hauler just fine - I had one myself. But it is not rated for that load if you get checked. Since you are a long bed you may not be noticed as fast as the short beds are but those DOT guys know these new SRW trucks are not rated for the RVs we can and do pull. When you get over 35 feet in one of the newer fiver toy haulers you just about have to go DRW to be legal. Chances are if you pay attention and use common sense you will never be checked but if they do check you or you are involved in an accident with the camper, you will be fined by police and could have claim rejected by Ins. company for overloading your truck. You are not alone by any measure - there are thousands of guys like us pulling huge rigs with 3/4 ton trucks. The new trucks can do it easily but are rated for lighter loads to keep costs down for us at DMV. My F450 with full fuel and wifey onboard scales over 26k when we hook up for a long trip. I have to have a class J endorsement on my license to drive it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.