So Ford tells me I'm SOL with tire size - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So Ford tells me I'm SOL with tire size

Ok..I'm putting a Carli levelling kit on my '11 F250...stock tires are the 275/65/20s...only going up to either 295/65/20 or 35x12.50....stock tire is 34.1 inches roughly...is it me or should this be any easy adjustment by a Tech? I was told when I bought the truck, going up one or two sizes would NOT be an issue...(now 2 dealerships have said sorry about your luck) I'm not worried about the speedo being off, I just know that all the goodies on the drivetrain are precise....is going up to that size tire really a concern? If so, what is the best way to get it programmed? I'm not looking to super mod my truck, I just want everything shifting at the right time and the speedo correct if possible...thanks guys...any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What you're doing has been done thousands of times. Just install the leveling kit, get a good alignment and put on the tire of your choice. No bigger tire than you're putting on the speedo shouldn't be off by more than a mile per hour or so. I've yet to ever have any problems out of mine. Enjoy
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm running toyo 35x12.5 with no issues in summer and 295/65r20 toyo at2 extreme in winter. (Also leveled) According to GPS speedo isn't even off 1mph. Just lost a few mpg with the bigger/ heavier tires.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You don't need any level kit to run 35"

I would look at adding Castor shims to gain the needed castor for these trucks.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 AM

You have no worries. People run 32"-40" tire sizes on these trucks daily on stock everything (besides lifts or lowering kits).

I would look at radius arm drop brackets such as the ones from Trevor @ PMF (precision metal fab) over caster shims. He makes the drop brackets from 2.5" and on up
Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM

I put 325/60r20 GY Duratrac's on without issue and since added a 2.5" leveling kit. BTW these tires measure out at 35.4" x 13" so they are slightly bigger then the average 35x12.5
Old 10-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am putting new tires on at the end of the week. Will a 35x12.50/20 fit safely on the stock 20" wheels? I am sure this has been asked numerous times....I noticed on Toyo's website that they recommend 8.5, 9.0 or 9.5 width wheels for the 35x12.50s. Are the stock 20" wheels 8" wide?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:22 AM

There's plenty of folks on here running those tires on the stock wheels.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBigJon View Post
I am putting new tires on at the end of the week. Will a 35x12.50/20 fit safely on the stock 20" wheels? I am sure this has been asked numerous times....I noticed on Toyo's website that they recommend 8.5, 9.0 or 9.5 width wheels for the 35x12.50s. Are the stock 20" wheels 8" wide?
Yes they will be fine and the stockers are 8" wide. The only issue you might have is the installer for example (Discount Tire) won't mount them because they don't meet manufacturer recommended widths. I had this problem when I had my 35x12.50x18's put on my stockers. You might get a little uneven wear from the narrower rim but it's not bad from what I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.