ball mount drop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ball mount drop

newbie question:
I have a 2011 F350 that I use with a 5th wheel to tow a camper. I would like to get a ball mount and ball for the factory installed receiver. The height of the center of the receiver is 21". I do not have a specific trailer that I would like to tow, but it would most likely be a UHaul. My question is what drop would be most appropriate for general use? Also, any recommendations for (1) brand and (2) a web site with a good price?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think I have a 4" or 5" drop on mine. I can measure it later. I don't remember brand but bought mine at local trailer shop and it is rated for 18k lbs.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Go get the B&W adjustable drop ball hitch. Three chrome balls and pins to adjust 6 to 10 inches vertically. Its a bit pricey but totally the way to go. I'm impressed.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

I run a 2" drop on mine. It works well for a landscape trailer and fishing boat. I have pulled a car hauler a few times and end up using a straight receiver for my 2 5/16" ball.
I don't have a lift, stock height.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
MuscleBob26

This article I found really goes into detail about ball mounts and what you might need here Hopefully it will help you as much as it helped me.

www DOT hitchanything DOT com/How-To-Measure-What-Size-Ball-Mount-You-Need.html
Old 12-20-2013, 05:11 AM

Most trailer manufactures want the top of ball 20 inches from ground with empty truck before hitching up. Trailers are usually designed for a hitch height of 18 inches to top of ball. This allows a two inch sag after hitched and weight is on truck.

I think you would be fine with a two inch drop receiver then after you bolt the ball on it would return to your 21 inch height you have now. Hitch height is measured to top of ball.

Whatever you buy, keep it on the truck at all times for extra protection if you get bumped in the rear or back up into a wall. I have saved my rear bumper several times by having my receiver in place. Been hit in stop and go traffic twice with zero damage to my trucks, the hitch saved me. Those adjustable hitches mentioned above give even more protection for this as they have a lot of vertical metal. I have my receiver/ball installed even when I pull my fiver.

You can find what you need at any Bass Pro Shop, I believe they sell Reese equipment if I remember correctly. They will have lower price than a hitch shop. All receivers and balls are stamped with load rating right on them.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 AM

Amazon.com: Andersen Manufacturing, Inc. 3410 2" X 2 5/16" x 5 1/2" Aluminum Drop Rapid Hitch: Automotive Amazon.com: Andersen Manufacturing, Inc. 3410 2" X 2 5/16" x 5 1/2" Aluminum Drop Rapid Hitch: Automotive
are all alum hitches just as good as steel ones?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 AM

I worked at the worlds largest trailer dealer and sold a ton of the rapid aluminum drop ball mounts. I run one and so does my dad. They are very nice. Never heard any complaints.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 AM

awesome thanks, btw nice avatar
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks. Now if I were to buy a new hitch I would try this instead of the rapid hitch. I like that it has the locks built in and looks nicer. Rated the same as rapid. I have no experience with this brand
http://www.diversi-tech.net/Hitches%20Page.htm
Sent from my Nexus 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.