10,000 LB GVWR package? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
10,000 LB GVWR package?

I have a 2012 srw, 6.7L F350 xlt,4x4, SuperCab, short bed, with snowplow package. There is also a "10k GVWR package." which I never realized was a thing until now. What is this, with out stating the obvious?...meaning what physical parts make it have a lower weight rating than the typical 11.5k rating?

Everything else seems the same. The combined vehicle weight rating mirrors the 11500k trucks,(23500) as well as my gross axle weight ratings (6k front, 7k rear). The axles are the same, the shocks are the same, the frame is the same. As far as I can tell, I can't see any difference between identical 10k gvwr f350s and 11.5k GVWR f350s, besides the door placard stating such....unless I'm missing something obvious.

Of Note: I originally bought and registered it in MA. They have crazy Nanny state DOT laws regarding vehicle weights, and Ford states on their Tow Guide page; "If your vehicle will be registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, or Vermont, check with your Ford dealer to be sure the desired powertrain/axle ratio is available in your area." Could it be a similar issue, in that it is legally required in certain states, i.e. vehicles with a GVWR of over 10k fall into a different category?

This is kind of driving me nuts getting to the bottom of...10k vs 11.5k, makes a drastic difference in calculating legal towing weights in correspondence with what the vin card says.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by titusg77; 10-10-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know it was mostly to deal the registration in states like yours, where anything over 10,000lbs required bigger fees to register. But what, if anything physically that Ford actually down graded, I have no idea.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I have a suspicion you're right.

Also of note, the front coils are increased to 6k with the plow pack, and an extra leaf was added in the rear for a total of 5 in the pack and 1 helper.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nothing physically is different between the 10,000 GVWR and 11,500 trucks except a sticker. As said before, it's only for registration in particular states or personal preference.

What it means for you is that you can only have (legally) a total of 10,000 lbs weight on the truck. This includes the weight of the truck, passengers, and any cargo. It does not include something you're towing. Those with the regular 11,500 have the freedom to legally load up to 11,500 total lbs.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I verified the same thing. That additional 1, 500 lbs of gvrw left on the table makes an absolutely huge difference in what one can tow legally, essentially putting you down in a towing weight class with large suvs. Great, my 1 ton diesel with 800ftlbs of torque can almost match a Lincoln Navigator in tongue weight. Seems such an obvious thing to check before buying, but somehow it just didn't occur to me that such a "package" would exist. Lesson learned
Old 10-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusg77 View Post
Thanks. I verified the same thing. That additional 1, 500 lbs of gvrw left on the table makes an absolutely huge difference in what one can tow legally, essentially putting you down in a towing weight class with large suvs. Great, my 1 ton diesel with 800ftlbs of torque can almost match a Lincoln Navigator in tongue weight. Seems such an obvious thing to check before buying, but somehow it just didn't occur to me that such a "package" would exist. Lesson learned
The likelyhood of a trooper pulling you for scale is slim to none unless you're deserving of harassment.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Probably true, especially outside of the nanny states. It could become an insurance issue in an accident though.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Likelihood of getting pulled over is slim. But, get into an accident with a load and the other guy has a decent lawyer....hope they don't investigate the weight.

Many people risk this. Personally, that liability isn't worth my estate.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Agreed there. Old Murphy and I are pretty close. Just when you think he's not around...
Old 10-13-2013, 01:14 PM

The 10K package basically turns your truck into a 250 that has an extra leaf in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.