New tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New tires

Done a lot of research. Still no clear decision. Stock 18"s. Lots of towing construction work. Debating between duratracs and trail grapplers for looks worries about excessive noise winter traction. Or just go with terra grapplers or dynapro atm2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dynapro

Personally I don't like the looks of an aggressive tire without a level/lift and at least a 35 x 12.5. I used to go for looks but now that I've had a few trucks and been down that road I tend to buy more for function and highway driveability. That being said I do have a lift but was torn between the terras and dynapros on my last purchase and ended up with the latter mainly because they were cheaper. Not disappointed in the least they are quiet on the highway and handle great 16,000 miles and they still look new although I haven't measured tread wear yet. They are great on the ice and hold their own in the mud. I'm not talking about going through a mud pit but on dirt roads or a construction site after a week of rain your not going to get stuck especially with the e-locker. The duratracs are also a great all around tire but not nearly as smooth on the pavement. I'll definitely be putting the dynapros on again when I wear these out.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoman1 View Post
Done a lot of research. Still no clear decision. Stock 18"s. Lots of towing construction work. Debating between duratracs and trail grapplers for looks worries about excessive noise winter traction. Or just go with terra grapplers or dynapro atm2.
295/70r18 trail grapplers are perfect for you.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 PM

If you're worried about noise and winter traction go Duratracs. I had 275/70r18 Duratracs before my 325s and they took me through lots of snow and mud, haven't had a chance to test out my new Duratracs. A while ago I was on the highway doing the speed limit and an F150 passed me, first thing I noticed before I saw the truck was I could hear his tires humming in my truck while he passed me. I stopped at the next gas station and sure enough that F150 was there and I got a look at what tires he had on and they were Trail Grapplers. Also in icy conditions the Duratracs would be the best due to the fact they are actually winter rated, while none of the other tires you mentioned are. So the facts should speak for them self, but this is my opinion. Plus my 275 Duratracs were very quiet, the 325s have some noise but its very easy to drown out with the radio.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another vote for duratracs . I've only run one set of them so far but have several family members running them and they're great tires.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM

I don't know about duratracks but my cousin seems to like them. I have the 295/75/18 trail grapplers and I'm not to happy. I have 16k on mine and they are down to 50% or less. I've rotated them and never done burn outs. Also I took about a 1-2mpg hit on fuel mileage. They are one of the best looking tires on the market and traction is great. I will be looking at yogis new AT tire or Goodyear's new tire with Kevlar.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 AM

I'm running 325/60/20 duratracs on my 13 F250. Only about 5k on them so far but seem to be wearing great. From what I understand folks are getting about 50k out of them if you rotate them regularly. Very quiet on the highway also. Only down side is they cost a bit more but if they last then their worth the extra $.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslinger1977 View Post
I have the 295/75/18 trail grapplers and I'm not to happy. I have 16k on mine and they are down to 50% or less. I've rotated them and never done burn outs. Also I took about a 1-2mpg hit on fuel mileage.
32k out of a set of mud terrains is pretty good man, nothing to be disappointed about at all. The only mud terrains that will outlast that are the Toyo Open Country M/T. The fuel hit is probably just from the tire size/extra weight honestly not from the tread design.

I'd vote Trail Grapplers. They have been a great tire for me thus far. I've been running a 35x12.50x18 on the stock rims but don't have to deal with snow. Several of those sizes like the 295's above would be a good choice. They do hum a little rolling down the road but it doesn't bother me at all because they look awesome and perform well.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check out Toyo Open Country A/T II's...price is good, they wear a LONG time, perfom well on the highway as well as the farm, construction site, etc (IMO) and look pretty tough too.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynoman1 View Post
I'd go with the Nitto's. I have had awesome experience with these tires and highly recommend this brand. When the stock Michelin's are done on my truck, I'm going with the Terra Grapplers. The Trail grapplers are a little too aggressive for my style of driving. Go Nitto's and FTW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.