Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ambient Lighting - Can't see cup holders at night.

10K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Merlin2012 
#1 ·
I cannot see a damn thing in the center console region at night and would like to add some directional lighting in the overhead console.

I have see past posts about ambient lighting kits, but they are too bright based on the pictures I have seen.

I have been in two European cars (VW Passat and Volvo) that have had either a red or amber set of lights that would project down into this area at night. You would not even know where the light was coming from unless you followed it up with your hand.

This is what im looking for. Does anyone know what where I can find something like this? I would imagine they are LEDs but most LED's light output is too broad.

Thanks for the input,

#2 ·
I know what you want. I bought the wife a C6 Vette in 08 and it had the ambient light above the center mirror in a black plastic box thing. It was red light and you had to lean perfectly under it to even see it but it worked great for lighting the console area. Even if you held your hand under it was very dim and not noticeable.

I can't say if it was an LED though, , too dim. The "glass" it was coming thru was kinda like a lens on your phone camera so it could have been any type of light?? If it was anything like the rest of the car it was prolly a laser!!!

#7 ·
interested as well. id put it everywhere if i knew what to use and where to get it

Reactions: strokinpower
#9 ·
Most that I have seen are a single LED mounted in the overhead console. So... add an LED.

Buy one of the diffused LEDs at this link in whatever color you like:

12 Vdc LEDs | All Electronics Corp.

...an mount it in the overhead console. If you want it to be directional, just don't push it all of the way through the hole.

The LEDs at the link have built in resistors, so you only need to wire them to the 12V from the light switch - no series resistor required. If you want it more dim, lower the voltage supplied to it using a regulator or resistor divider.

If you want it more bright, add a second.

Or... buy lighted drink rings:
LED Cup Holder Lights | AccentGlowLED

#10 ·
My 2014 ford flex limited has a ton of ambient lighting....interchangeable 8 colors . Looks cool and useful. We gotta b able to adapt

Reactions: djmaguire
#11 ·
#14 ·
Thats a good plan. I believe Radio shack has those little bulbs. I may give this a go. And for everyone else I wouldn't spend the money on a ford kit I heard they suck and your best bet is to just buy an aftermarket kit. You can just put led strips under the dash and under the backs of the front seats.

#15 · (Edited)
#16 · (Edited)
^^^ agree. I also saw a cool install where someone just added a single LED inside each of the console cupholders themselves. Very subtle but nice looking. I'll try and find the link.

Edited to add:
Project SportRunner - Illuminated Cup Holders

NICE!!!!!!!!

I wonder how these hold up to water? I like being able to just take my cup holders out and hose them down.

What would you take power from/how would you route it?

Edit: Wait a second, this might not work because of the rubber inserts in the cup holder.

#21 ·
Just ordered them, estimated time, 2-4 weeks :eek:

If you think about it, cutting a little hole out of the rubber would be prefect because it will make the tip of the light flush with the rubber. This means anything you put in the cup holder won't hit the light.

Reactions: djmaguire
#23 ·
I'll take some pics of the install. I bought a bunch of white, blue and slowly flashing Red Green Blue lights.

What colour would you put in yours? I'm thinking blue?

Edit: while I'm at it, id like to put a light in the console. I hate the darkness in there.

#25 ·
so these are the specs for the LED. Assuming I just hook it up to the 12V power source in the truck they shouldn't burn out (they have resistors pre-installed)

Size 5mm Pre-Wired Round Top
Color Blue
Operating Voltage 10v-15v (volts) (15v Not Recommended Continuous)
Wire Length Approximately 15cm (6 inches)
Resistor Built In Yes
Additional Resistors Required No
Luminosity/Brightness 12,000-14,000 mcd
Forward Voltage 10v-15v (volts) (15v Not Recommended Continuous)
Shrink Wrapped Connections Yes
Current 20mA
Wavelength 460-465nm
Viewing Angle 20-30 Degrees
Mount Style Custom
Lens Color Clear
LED Brightness Class Super/Ultra/Extreme

#26 ·
Good choice. The small viewing angle is good in two ways:
  • That LED isn't likely to backlight inside the console housing. A wide-spread LED could cause light leaks out a seam.
  • That LED can also be used to mount in the overhead console to spotlight the floor console.

I said before that - because the resistor is built in - you change the brightness by voltage. That's not so convenient. You can also dim these by adding another resistor inline. That's a little easier.

Have fun.

Reactions: Hanlon99
#27 ·
DJ, I have some blue LED strips at my feet, just those cheap ebay ones. I never use them because they are way too bright, what resistor can I add to them to dim them.

#29 ·
#30 ·
Alright so I got the lights and light holders a week ago, I shal begin the work tomorrow. What wire do you guys recommend tying into for power?

#31 ·
I'd grab some lighting related wire in the inside fuse panel. These "add-a-circuit" doodads are helpful. I would think they are at Walmart or any parts store.

Errr... not shown actual size.

#33 ·
This takes me back to the days, around 2002, that everybody was putting LEDs in their cup holders. I did it too and a bottle of water or sprite looked pretty cool at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.