Cheapest DEF - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheapest DEF

NAPA has the cheapest DEF I have found, even cheaper than walmart.

4.39 a gallon.

NAPA AUTO PARTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 04:33 PM

I buy the 2.5 gallon box at Walmart for $11.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 AM

Yea the 2.5 Gallon is more expensive than getting those bottles by themselves, albeit not much. I saw on some other forums that some stations have DEF you can pump for 2.99 a gal. Anyone know of these places? I am in San Antonio/Houston and that would be nice to find.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 AM

do you really go through that much that you have to find the absolute cheapest stuff?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 AM

So I am at 6100 miles and I haven't towed and the warning to fill it up came up. I don't know if Ford didn't fill it up all the way or what, but I have 400 miles till empty on it so instead of changing it at 7500 or 10K when I do my oil, I now have to do it at 6K. I need roughly 5 gallons to fill it up all the way which will reset the alert. From Walmart $22 plus tax every 6K is expensive over the life of the truck. So yes, I am trying to find it at the cheapest place I can.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is the "Law of Diminishing Returns" at work here. If you have to fill the DEF tank every 6100 miles (I have not seen that to be the case but) then in 150,000, you will fill it 25 times. Since it's a 5 gal tank, you will probably never want to put 5 gals back in it (much like your fuel tank) but for the sake of discussion, let's assume 5 gals.

That means you will use 125 gals every 150,000 miles so for every $1 difference in the cost per gallon, that's $125 spent or saved. I suppose it depends upon how many miles you drive a year and how long it takes you to put 150,000 miles on the truck, but $125 delta operating costs on a $65,000 truck seems to be a "nit" compared to the cost of Fuel, Oil, Tires, Maintenance Labor, etc.

Assuming you get 18 mpg, you will use 8,333 gals of fuel driving 150,000. Better to save the fuel cost by not having to hunt the cheapest DEF since that works out to requiring 1 1/2 cents savings on fuel cost during the same period.

Makes you really consider what is important when you look at all the inputs and outputs.

BTW - Pilot, Loves, and several other Truck Stops in the Houston/ Austin area sell bulk DEF.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
There is the "Law of Diminishing Returns" at work here. If you have to fill the DEF tank every 6100 miles (I have not seen that to be the case but) then in 150,000, you will fill it 25 times. Since it's a 5 gal tank, you will probably never want to put 5 gals back in it (much like your fuel tank) but for the sake of discussion, let's assume 5 gals.

That means you will use 125 gals every 150,000 miles so for every $1 difference in the cost per gallon, that's $125 spent or saved. I suppose it depends upon how many miles you drive a year and how long it takes you to put 150,000 miles on the truck, but $125 delta operating costs on a $65,000 truck seems to be a "nit" compared to the cost of Fuel, Oil, Tires, Maintenance Labor, etc.

Assuming you get 18 mpg, you will use 8,333 gals of fuel driving 150,000. Better to save the fuel cost by not having to hunt the cheapest DEF since that works out to requiring 1 1/2 cents savings on fuel cost during the same period.

Makes you really consider what is important when you look at all the inputs and outputs.

BTW - Pilot, Loves, and several other Truck Stops in the Houston/ Austin area sell bulk DEF.
all valid points. Since I drive to Houston from SA and vice versa, there is a loves on my way right off I-10 so driving around to find a cheap price is not really an issue there (if they have bulk DEF of course). I agree that driving around looking for cheap DEF, gas, diesel, etc. is a lost cause and you are basically spending a dollar to save a dime.

Also, there is a NAPA near me so I am not really going out of my way to pick up the cheaper DEF.

I was posting this for people who were looking for cheap DEF instead of spending more than they have to.

I am going to fill my DEF up to the brim and see how long it lasts. I hope it was just not filled up all the way...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The first time I filled mine, I just used a single 2.5 gal container and then risked it out (including the spout, etc.) very well and now use fill it when I happen to be at a Pilot, etc. That way you get the best price on the DEF and always have some "on hand".

I check mine every so often to make sure I'm above the 50% level and when I get that alarm, then I drop in the 2.5 gal I have on hand. I usually only have to fill it every 7,000 to 9,000 miles. More if city driving, less if Highway/Towing.

Safe travels, D
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 AM

I just stop by the local truck stop and buy it right out of the pump. Its around $2.90 a gal. I like it because you only buy what you need and there is nothing to mess with, just like buying diesel from the pump.

John
Old 10-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Contaminated DEF is a $800 repair bill at the dealership if it takes out the pump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.