Powerstroke vs Duramax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke vs Duramax

I need your guys opinion, I have a 2004 6.0 and have had nothing but problems with it and I'm looking to buy a new truck. I've been reading about the 6.7 and hear there is some problems with the fuel system. I wondered if there was any other problems and if I should venture off onto a duramax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What problems with your 6.0? With the R&D that has been done by so many shops the 6.0 isn't far from being a sought after truck like the 7.3. If money is somewhat of an issue, you will be way way ahead to take your truck to someone very reputable in 6.0's and last a long time.

Just read the threads of people having a hard time getting the dealers to cover warranty repairs.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those problems can be fixed very quickly and somewhat easily.
The 6.4 and 6.7 fuel systems are very very picky.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM

I am on my second 6.7L with 0 fuel system problems...... actually 0 problems period. I would never buy a Turdamax

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
What problems with your 6.0? With the R&D that has been done by so many shops the 6.0 isn't far from being a sought after truck like the 7.3. If money is somewhat of an issue, you will be way way ahead to take your truck to someone very reputable in 6.0's and last a long time.

Just read the threads of people having a hard time getting the dealers to cover warranty repairs.
HAHA! The 6.0 is nowhere near the desirability as a 7.3.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post
Yeah no effin way man! You don't have to touch a 7.3 unless you want performance mods

Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffar View Post
I need your guys opinion, I have a 2004 6.0 and have had nothing but problems with it and I'm looking to buy a new truck. I've been reading about the 6.7 and hear there is some problems with the fuel system. I wondered if there was any other problems and if I should venture off onto a duramax?
Ive owned both. Albeit different years. I would venture to say that all of the big three diesels are fairly evenly matched. At 60 grand for the top of the line and most profitable products on the production line, the big 3 have a lot on the line. All three are damn good trucks with each truck having its stronger and weaker suits.
My experience with my 2013 2wd F250 Supercab XLT is as follows.
I have just under 6000 miles since i bought new in July. Not a single problem. Truck is completely stock. Pulls hard in every gear. Ive had it chirp between shifts as high as 3-4. Pretty impressive. Fuel milege varied a bit at first but seems to have settled at 18mpg + Or - For all around driving here in Southern California. The steering is typical ford twin I beam, heavy and vague at times. Ive added daystar spacers at the coils and have yet to gat an alignment which hasnt helped a lot. The interior is fairly plush and the ride extremely quiet compared to diesel trucks of yore. Ive done a couple of oil changes on my own ( i know only 6000 miles, but im a little anal and will go to 5000 mile intervals soon) and its fairly easy and straight forward. Not much choices in oil filters. Im using wix, but theyre 25 bucks a pop! Fuel filter/water seperator is easy to access as well. Fit and finish have come along nicely too. But all my fords have been that way.
Overall Id say the 6.7 and torqshift 6sp auto seem to be a golden combo.
Performance upgrades seem tempting but honestly this truck kicks *** out the box and you can do it sucking on that tailpipe if you like!

Last edited by hbmichael; 10-06-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmichael View Post
Ive owned both. Albeit different years. I would venture to say that all of the big three diesels are fairly evenly matched. At 60 grand for the top of the line and most profitable products on the production line, the big 3 have a lot on the line. All three are damn good trucks with each truck having its stronger and weaker suits.
My experience with my 2013 2wd F250 Supercab XLT is as follows.
I have just under 6000 miles since i bought new in July. Not a single problem. Truck is completely stock. Pulls hard in every gear. Ive had it chirp between shifts as high as 3-4. Pretty impressive. Fuel milege varied a bit at first but seems to have settled at 18mpg + Or - For all around driving here in Southern California. The steering is typical ford twin I beam, heavy and vague at times. Ive added daystar spacers at the coils and have yet to gat an alignment which hasnt helped a lot. The interior is fairly plush and the ride extremely quiet compared to diesel trucks of yore. Ive done a couple of oil changes on my own ( i know only 6000 miles, but im a little anal and will go to 5000 mile intervals soon) and its fairly easy and straight forward. Not much choices in oil filters. Im using wix, but theyre 25 bucks a pop! Fuel filter/water seperator is easy to access as well. Fit and finish have come along nicely too. But all my fords have been that way.
Overall Id say the 6.7 and torqshift 6sp auto seem to be a golden combo.
Performance upgrades seem tempting but honestly this truck kicks *** out the box and you can do it sucking on that tailpipe if you like!
I sure as heck hope you wouldn't have any issues with only 6k miles on it. Just wait until you get to 60k miles. Then we shall see. :thumbup: Hopefully you don't have any.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Back in 06 I needed a HD truck. Growing up in a gm family I bought a duramax, hated it. It was basically a car with a box that you couldn't put anything heavy in. I traded that in after 3 weeks for a dodge because of the cummins, loved the cummins engine hated the pile of crap surrounding it. Traded that after 2 months for an 07 f350 Harley Davidson with the 6.0L, it rocked. Straight piped it with the bully dog tuner.Pulled like crazy had a great interior and was tough as hell, miles that out in a year and a half( to many km so the warrantee ended) so I traded it for an 08 f350 Harley Davidson. Deleted the DPF and egr and ran the spartan tuner for two years. Then I had amiss hap with my200 shot of NOS accidentally go off when I floored it from a dead stop, POP went the head gasket, traded it in for a 2011 f350 king ranch. Deleted it all and it is a monster. Point of the story. Buy a ford if you want a real tough truck with an unmatched interior, strong engine, and overall toughness. My friends with duramaxes are always in the shop every 2 or 3 months, and the dodge owners I know always talk crap and brag about the engine because there's nothing else on a dodge to brag about . 3 fords later with no big issues with any of them. Owned them all to around 180k
Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Laing View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Yeah no effin way man! You don't have to touch a 7.3 unless you want performance mods

I never said it was as desirable right now. I said it is getting there. Give it another year. Shops are getting very good at bulletproofing them. Mark my word. Give it another year. DieselPower magazine sure helped out a couple months ago putting one on the cover.

BTW, did you not see my SIG???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.