Ford Oil Life System - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford Oil Life System

So I've wanted to post this for a while now. I see ALOTTT of people saying they change their oil at 3K and 5K, etc. because they feel better about it. Whatever, that is wasting oil. Ford's new system will tell you when to change it... off my soap box.

http://owner.ford.com/Storage/Common...IOLM%20FAQ.pdf

I am going to email Ford and see if they can elaborate on the synthetic part. I want to know if the Oil Life monitor will pick up on that it is synthetic and push out the mileage you need to change it by. I know it is probably not smart enough but I want to ask them anyway. I am going to update this thread when I hear back.

7) Why does my independent service facility send me a reminder to change the oil every 3,000 miles?
The 3,000-mile oil change interval dates back to the’60s and’70s, when engine oil technology was not as
sophisticated as it is today. Modern engine oils, in normal operating conditions, do not deteriorate as
rapidly,which would require the oil to be replaced in 3,000 miles. Simultaneously, significant
improvements in engine technology have also reduced oil consumption. Together with the Intelligent Oil
-Life Monitor, we are confident that these improvements allow oil change intervals to be significantly
increased without affecting engine reliability.
8)Should I use synthetic oil?
You can use a synthetic oil if you prefer. The Ford engines have been tested using the Motorcraft synthetic blended oils. If you do use synthetic oil, it needs to meet the Ford specifications for motor oil
and the specific oil weight as indicated in the Owner Guide. Ford still recommends performing the oil changeservice intervals as indicated by the IOLM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM

I think you should send your oil for analysis. YES...most oils will have plenty of lubricity left in them to push into high mileage on the oil change. The issue becomes one of contamination. Whether from fuel dilution or wear or both, there are reasons why pushing out oil changes may not be a good idea. Having data on your engine wear and the lube package in your oil can help you make an informed decision. It's not a one size fits all, even within a manufacturer. If your engine is not throwing lots of metals, and you're seeing good lubricity left in your oil, then you should be good to go with extended oil changes.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:00 AM

We are not talking about extended oil changes here, we are following the manufacturer's recommendations. Using the Ford oil life monitor is EXACTLY what Ford wants us to do.

Changing oil at 3k or 5k miles as the dealer wants you to is only making him money and doing NOTHING to make your truck last longer or run better.

You can have analysis done till the cows come home but I believe Ford has taken all the variables and built the monitor system to account for them. Should you elect to run oil past the monitor then analysis should be done.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You are correct in that the oils are far superior than they were as are the monitoring systems and the engines them selves. On the 6.4 and 6.7 for example it's not as much an issue of the oil breaking down as it would become diluted with fuel from dpf regin and lowering the viscosity of the oil. The 6.7 on average goes through regin significantly less than the 6.4 but you can still expect to find your oil level at or higher at the time it is due for another service than when you changed it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM

We had a similar discussion back in mid-2010 with several Ford Engineers about the service interval reccomendations on our 2011 F550 trucks. The conversation came about due to our trucks have PTO driven hydraulics, so they see lots of idle time.
We were assured that the Oil Life Monitoring System is extremely accurate and was the preferred method for determining oil changes.
We tried using that method for about a year, and mileage averaged out to about 7K mile intervals, but was hard to schedule maintenance downtime since the dash display only gives an, "OK or Oil Change Required" status. It does not give a % of oil life left... We have since went to a 5-6K mile oil change interval.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

I got the "Free Oil for Life" so I don't have a problem with dropping it off for an hour every 3K miles. Who does everyone use to test their oil? Never done this. Is it recommended?
Old 10-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Free Oil for Life - at 3K or at the Ford Oil Minder interval? If the dealer is giving you free oil changes every 3K, you got a gold mine of a deal considering there's at least $100 in oil involved, not counting the filter and labor. That's $3300+ in oil alone over the first 100K miles. That 3K old oil they're pouring in the recycle tank would probably be good for another 10-12K miles.

I'll change my oil at 7500 miles even if the oil minder doesn't say it's time. It's more about doing the oil change when it's convenient for me, as opposed to doing it after the truck is telling me it needs to be done. No bigger bummer than getting an oil change message just before your 1000 mile round trip starts ... with computers the way they are, Ford's going to know you drove XXX miles past the minder alert.

Greg
Old 10-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Blackstone Labs is who I use for tests.
To each his own I guess. I just wanted to share that there are other variables in play. It's 100% your truck, so do as you please.
I think if you test your oil you'll learn something about it....and your engine.....
Old 10-05-2013, 05:08 PM

I just change it when it tells me. I couldnt bother tracking how many miles I go between changes
Old 10-05-2013, 05:14 PM

I wonder how it works when the pipe falls off......I guess its back to the mileage track!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.