whats it worth...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
whats it worth......

Hey guys quick question I have a 2011 f350 single wheel crew cab lariat with lariat ultimate package every option available. black in color black leather with 8500 miles. what do u guys think its worth never seen rain or snow...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
To me, never seeing rain or snow on a new vehicle like that makes no difference on the price. A 60's muscle car/truck is a different story though. I'd KBB it and go from there...
Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You do not say if it is 4x4 or not. If it was and it had remote start, cooled and heated seats, sun roof etc. It would be around $42K- $43K in Texas according to kbb. Dealer could ask for more but private party sale is about what I wrote above.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 AM

I bought a 2012 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 back in May of last year. Paid just a tad over $63,000 for it. It came with EVERY option available on it except for the 5th wheel prep kit. Nav, heated & cooled seats, 2-tone paint, sunroof, etc... with an odometer reading just over 19,000 miles.

Fast forward to the past 2 months of this year. I now pull a 5th wheel toy hauler, and was looking to trade it on an F-450. I took it to 4 different dealers in 3 states hoping for a decent trade-in... and the best offer I got on it was $42,500. To say I was disappointed is putting it mildly.

I knew the dealers would care less about any accessories I had added to the truck (B&W Turnoverball and Companion 5th wheel hitch, brush guard, PIAA lights, etc.)... but the fact that they gave me NO additional value for any of the included options from Ford was the shock. When I asked about that, 3 of the dealers each proceeded to pull ads from various dealers in their area advertising other 2012 F-250's for sale showing the range they were getting. As I proceeded to show where one truck didn't have nav... and another didn't have the FX4 upgrade... they simply shrugged that off saying "people looking for a used vehicle don't care if the truck is fully loaded or not. They just want a vehicle for a specific job."

Now don't get me wrong... I know the dealers are in business to make money. If they can't make money on the trade-in & the new truck sale... then they may as well close the doors and go home. I get it. And I know a vehicle depreciates drastically as soon as you drive it off of the lot. I guess I just wasn't prepared to hear that a Ford truck had taken a depreciation of over 30% in 16 months.

So I guess what I'm saying is... in my experience, as far as the dealers are concerned, it doesn't matter to them whether your truck has all of the options & been garage kept, or is simply a bare-bones stock model. About the only things that will matter are whether it is a SuperCab or SuperCrew... whether it's 4x4... and whether it's gas or diesel.

Good luck to ya...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 AM

It differs per location.
Want the right answer?
Go see a used car lot and ask the owner to look through the latest auction sheets and see what a comp did.
That's what your dealer will do to appraise it..

When you trade, 95% of the time, they are on the phone trying to sell your trade before they buy it. Or, they look at a recent auction comp to know what it will sell for. Not many are bought for re-sale on their lot.

Accessories do not matter.
Condition only makes the price do down, not up. If it's not in good condition, you lose.
Nav, Roof, rubber are the usual appraisal items. Stock packages like Platinum or KR make a difference over an XLT.
XL kills it dead.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I bought a 2012 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 back in May of last year. Paid just a tad over $63,000 for it. It came with EVERY option available on it except for the 5th wheel prep kit. Nav, heated & cooled seats, 2-tone paint, sunroof, etc... with an odometer reading just over 19,000 miles.

Fast forward to the past 2 months of this year. I now pull a 5th wheel toy hauler, and was looking to trade it on an F-450. I took it to 4 different dealers in 3 states hoping for a decent trade-in... and the best offer I got on it was $42,500. To say I was disappointed is putting it mildly.

I knew the dealers would care less about any accessories I had added to the truck (B&W Turnoverball and Companion 5th wheel hitch, brush guard, PIAA lights, etc.)... but the fact that they gave me NO additional value for any of the included options from Ford was the shock. When I asked about that, 3 of the dealers each proceeded to pull ads from various dealers in their area advertising other 2012 F-250's for sale showing the range they were getting. As I proceeded to show where one truck didn't have nav... and another didn't have the FX4 upgrade... they simply shrugged that off saying "people looking for a used vehicle don't care if the truck is fully loaded or not. They just want a vehicle for a specific job."

Now don't get me wrong... I know the dealers are in business to make money. If they can't make money on the trade-in & the new truck sale... then they may as well close the doors and go home. I get it. And I know a vehicle depreciates drastically as soon as you drive it off of the lot. I guess I just wasn't prepared to hear that a Ford truck had taken a depreciation of over 30% in 16 months.

So I guess what I'm saying is... in my experience, as far as the dealers are concerned, it doesn't matter to them whether your truck has all of the options & been garage kept, or is simply a bare-bones stock model. About the only things that will matter are whether it is a SuperCab or SuperCrew... whether it's 4x4... and whether it's gas or diesel.

Good luck to ya...

You must have been upside down in your other vehicle to pay 63000. Wow! My truck had a sticker price a little more than that, but I paid 52 out the door.
You lost you pants on that vehicle.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The thing working hardest against you is there are a ton of brand new leftover 2012-2013 trucks still on the lots with deep discounts and financing/rebate incentives. I just bought a brand new (36 miles on the odometer) leftover 2012 from a local dealer last week -- MSRP was $56900, price sold $44500 + tax & tags. That's $12500 off a brand new unregistered truck -- almost 22% off sticker.

I wouldn't expect a dealer to give you more than 60-70% of MSRP for your trade. They do need to sell it at a profit, or it's not worth their time and energy to take it off your hands.

Greg
Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 PM

Just for comparison my local dealer has $12000 off all in stock 2013's. Back in April when I bought my Platinum the sticker was $64,400. I paid $52,000. So a 3 year old truck will be substantially less than that.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Good luck to ya...
No offense, but if I spend $60k on a truck... I'd be dam sure it's what I needed for a long time. With that said, you could upgrade the axles and change beds to obtain your F-450. Not sure how your can get it registered as a F450 but I'm sure you would be better off now that your so upside down in your truck... That your stuck with it. I wouldn't mind being stuck with a new truck with every option.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
No offense, but if I spend $60k on a truck... I'd be dam sure it's what I needed for a long time...
Yeah well, I hear ya. Long story short... I keep changing my mind.

Long version:
I recently retired at the beginning of the year, and had planned on simply using my F-250 to pull my motorcycles in an enclosed trailer and staying in hotels during my travels. That was that plan... and it worked for about 6 weeks: right until I met up with some friends of mine down in FL who had full size RV's.

Well, after spending a few days with them... the hook was set, and before long I'd decided that I wanted to try it. After doing some research & shopping, a few months later I had an RV. I really liked a couple of the larger rigs... but since I wasn't sure I was going to completely love the RV lifestyle, AND because I knew I had to keep the total weight with one of my bikes inside under 16,000 lbs (tow rating of 15,900 on my F-250)... I bought a rig that conformed to those specs.

I knew my truck weighed about 8200 lbs... and the RV weighed a little over 13,000. My big Gold Wing motorcycle weighs 970 lbs 'wet', and I figured I'd need no more than 1,000 lbs for all of the stuff I'd load inside it (clothes, golf clubs, supplies, etc.)... for a total of guesstimate of around 15,000 lbs.

Fast forward a few months & about 14 weeks total in the RV at different places... and I found that I LOVE it, and was already considering upgrading to a larger rig. As such, I'd already been kicking around the idea of upgrading to a dually in case I did decide to purchase a larger rig at some point.

Fast forward another month while pulling my rig up to PA a few weeks ago... it occurred to me that, although I'd kept saying I was going to do it at some point, I had never actually weighed my rig since I got it. So at the next re-fuel point, I decided that I was going to a truck stop & pull across a set of the CAT scales there.

I filled the truck with diesel, and then pulled across the scales. When the lady handed me the weigh-in slip... it had the weight per axle breakdown, but the number that jumped out to me was that I'd crossed at 24,400 lbs gross weight.

At that point, I'm thinking that I'm still ok legally... but alarm bells began going off in my head. Not only because there was about 1,000 lbs somewhere that I hadn't accounted for, but also because the number "23" kept banging in my head as I rolled on down the highway.

Next fuel stop, I decide to get online and pull up the truck's towing specs from the Ford.com website... and that's when I see what had been bothering me: my truck's GCWR was only 23,500. As such, I was about 900 lbs overweight.

After I got to my campsite, and got everything set up... I began mentally re-calculating my load. Where was that extra 1,000 lbs coming from? At some point I looked over at the truck, and a few things began to click. I noticed the front brush guard I'd hung on the front... that was around 100 lbs. Then I thought about the 5th wheel hitch setup. All together, that was about another 400 lbs of iron & steel. Then I remembered the RV washer/dryer combo unit I'd installed into the rig a few weeks after I bought it (another 150 lbs or so)... and all of the little stuff like ratchet tie-downs for the bike, the portable grill, water & sewer hoses, etc that all add up.

So... to wrap things up... pulling across that set of scales solidified my decision to trade the F-250 for a dually. While I know those published numbers are purposely conservative, and that there are tolerances built in... and the fact that the truck really did handle fine as it was... for peace of mind, I just didn't want to have to worry about it.

As far as money goes... well, as they say, it's only money. I've got a decent pension, and I can always make more of it if I need to. And it's for sure that I won't be taking any of it with me to the grave, right? I'm single, my kids are grown & doing well. Yeah, I don't like being upside down anymore than anyone else... but when I decide that I want something, I usually end up getting it. Maybe not that same day, but at some point... and usually sooner rather than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.