Ordering F350 - Options? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ordering F350 - Options?

Ordering a new F350 (CCSB) and would like some opinions from those who've had them (2011-2014) a while.

Factory installed gooseneck prep package, good or bad? I have a 30k BW turnover ball now, and had heard that the factory Ford (Reese?) hitches were not built as heavy, that they were more meant for 5th wheel camper customers, not farm-abused goosenecks.
Case in point, it's rated at 25k compared to my BW at 30k, which I realize is more than rated for the truck, but stronger is always safer.

Added to that, sliding pallets in the box, I can't see that working well with the Ford set-up, unless the box liner fixes this problem?

The truck will be 90% grocery getter, but when it is hooked on it's a heavy load. What axle ratio would you recommend (looking for both fuel efficiency and pep without a load, but the ability to still drag a gooseneck loaded to the max). Best compromise. Likely running 34.5" tires on a 4.5" lift.

Factory spray on box liner, any experiences? Salesman claims it is not as thick or durable as an aftermarket, which is hot applied. Don't plan to be abusing this truck but also don't want to have to be delicate with it's box. Leaning towards Line-X now.

Anybody have a bed extender? Great or gimmick? For some reason it's not compatible with the gooseneck hitch package(guessing the trailer plug is in the way)?

I'm not planning to get the FX4 package, because I figure if it's getting a 4" lift on it the stock suspension will be ripped out anyway, and if I need heavy load bearing I will put in air bags. Wrong?

Anything you wished you'd gotten after having it a while?

Thanks,
-Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Here you go Options you wish you had?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post
...Factory spray on box liner, any experiences? Salesman claims it is not as thick or durable as an aftermarket, which is hot applied. Don't plan to be abusing this truck but also don't want to have to be delicate with it's box. Leaning towards Line-X now.

Anybody have a bed extender? Great or gimmick? For some reason it's not compatible with the gooseneck hitch package(guessing the trailer plug is in the way)...

Josh...

Can't answer all of your questions, but I can address the ones quoted:

1) I've seen both, and personally I like the aftermarket spray liner... with Line-X being my choice. No, I didn't go measure the thicknesses... but the Line-X just "looks" like a better quality product.

2) You can't get the bed extender with the hitch package... but you can buy it from Ford Accessories (about $300 online or from your dealer), and install it yourself. It fits just fine. Not sure why Ford won't offer it, but they don't. Installation is simple: Screw 1 bolt into each side of rear box using a T-50 torx-head driver.

I have an F-450 with the prep kit and the Reese 25k 5th wheel hitch that I use to pull my RV... and the bed extender does not interfere in any way. Just fold it back out of the way when towing.

Personally, I like the extender... but not because I use it to 'extend' the bed on many occasions. I like it because, when folded inside the bed, it creates a small 'compartment' by the tail gate where I put my groceries and other small items, so they don't move all around the bed. In other words... instead of it being a bed 'extender' for me, I use it more as a bed 'corral'.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the bed extender and I do find it usefull at times (especially as a corral like ATCguy mentioned). However, when it's not in use, I find that it's in the way when I want to easily access the rear tie down hooks when tieing something down
Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Line-X for sure. I have had it on the last two trucks and love it. I have chipped it just in one spot . But for what I do I beat the crap out of my trucks and never had an issue.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM

I have the B&W and wouldn't go any other way...have Ameristep spray in liner and it's tough chit...get a Carli or Icon 4.5"...I have Carli with the 5100's and mini packs in back, just hauled 12000lbs of calves to auction last week with my featherlite GN and it squatted all of 1"
Old 09-24-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpilot View Post
I have the B&W and wouldn't go any other way...have Ameristep spray in liner and it's tough chit...get a Carli or Icon 4.5"...I have Carli with the 5100's and mini packs in back, just hauled 12000lbs of calves to auction last week with my featherlite GN and it squatted all of 1"
Mini packs in the rear? I've never heard of anyone doing it that way.
Could you get a few pics please? The mini packs, an unloaded pic and a loaded one if possible.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Mini packs in the rear? I've never heard of anyone doing it that way.
Could you get a few pics please? The mini packs, an unloaded pic and a loaded one if possible.
It's the pack that replaces the factory overload leaf...it's just thinner leafs. Came with the Carli kit as opposed to going with full replacement leaf packs as I needed to maintain close to factory load carrying capacity without the rear squatting. I can get you a pic of it unloaded but not loaded as my trailer is at the ranch.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpilot View Post
It's the pack that replaces the factory overload leaf...it's just thinner leafs. Came with the Carli kit as opposed to going with full replacement leaf packs as I needed to maintain close to factory load carrying capacity without the rear squatting. I can get you a pic of it unloaded but not loaded as my trailer is at the ranch.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:53 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.