When to start towing?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When to start towing??

Hi
I just bought a new f350 6.7l. It has 21 miles on it. I have a 14,000 lb 5th wheel that I will need to pull a couple hundred miles right away.
IS this advisable? not sure if a brand new motor should be subjected to this...I can always pay someone to pull it for me to be safe.
Appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just don't work it hard and you will be fine.
Ford recommends 500 miles.

I had to go to work the next morning towing my mini excavator and skid loader after I bought mine. So I went for a drive that night and put 100 miles on mine. I mean that is only 2 hours of driving and it gave me a chance to play with all the controls.

But if you are on flat land, can do easy towing, I wouldn't feel bad about towing right away. Just be easy on the rig starting and stopping and avoid steep grades. I wouldn't go blasting up a 12% grade at full rpm with 15,000lbs at 25 miles on the Odo.

Just think how many commercial companies buy a new truck and it goes directly to work tomorrow, Ambulances, trucks with dumps beds or heavy tool beds etc.

Probably more important is to vary your speed and work load of the truck for that first 500 miles. Don't just hook up and head out on the freeway with the cruise set at 70mph
Ford says these new engines do not need a special break in. So the recommendation is for rear end, transmission and other components as much as getting the engine some mileage.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Just don't work it hard and you will be fine.
Ford recommends 500 miles.
Yep, great advice. I waited until I had about 500 hundred miles on my 2013 before towing my 5th wheel (10,000lb). As long as you're not climbing the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming you shouldn't do any damage and the powertrain will break itself in.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 AM

No, you don't need 500 miles but I would recommend like ^^^^said to put about 100 miles or so on before you tow. Also, don't be worried if you get some weird smells while towing your first time or two. It is just break in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay...I will tell my wife that also so I dont blamed!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 AM

Picked up my new F-450 on Friday, it had 72 miles on the odometer... drove 85 miles back to the campground. Ran a few small errands on Saturday (about 20 miles). Hitched up & pulled my 16,000 lb. 5th wheel toy hauler 200 miles to a new site on Sunday.

My owners manual says no towing for the first 1000 miles. So much for that.

Unhitched and have been driving it around to various places since. (dinner, sightseeing, etc.) As of today, my truck has 584 miles on it.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My '12 had about 250 miles on when I set out on a journey to Kansas to retrieve my totaled 6.0. Going I only had the 30' gooseneck coming back the GVW was just over 23k. About 1600 mile round trip @ 70 mph.

I now have 36k on the truck and not a single problem yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well that is good to know the trucks did well..however i feel that if one has the option not bad idea to let all bearing and friction surfaces gently work into place for a little while before loading up to 90% of max rating ....from engine, tranny to ujoints to brakes...might not be 100% necessary but i prefer to be cautious after having written a big check out of pocket!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Don't forget ring and pinion. That's probably the biggest reason for the 1000miles break-in.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

true...i believe that a properly broke in mechanical gadget be it a sewing machine or a truck will last much longer if eased into operation gently. My question is how long and I didnt know the 1000 mi part in the book. Sure there are warranties to cover you but first of all its a pain in the *** and a repair job is typically not as good as a factory install. Thats why I dont like to buy used if I can help it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.