Wanna hollow my dpf out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wanna hollow my dpf out

Anybody know what would happen if I just drilled a nice little 1in hole through my dpf? I have a h&s with dpf on tunes.. If its just a matter of clearing a code and rolling then sounds good to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM

a 1" hole wouldn't do much for performance...

but it would cause the truck to go into limp mode because the pressure delta wouldn't be right
Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 AM

it doesn't cost that much to straight pipe it!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
it doesn't cost that much to straight pipe it!
You could just run it open downpipe if you're wanting to run the deleted tuning and don't want to buy an exhaust. It's loud under throttle this way for sure but not bad just cruising or at idle

As they said though a 1" hole isn't big enough to do anything, you'd want like a 4" hole then you'd have ruined your very expensive DPF unit so if you needed to go back to stock you'd be screwed. Just unbolt the whole thing, it's easier and reversable.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wondered about doing this if i ever got a non delete able truck. Wouldnt there just be a sensor for too much back pressure to send it into regen mode? I ran an open downpipe for a few weeks. WOULDN'T recommend it, heats up trans, cooks wires and puts soot over everything. WAY too loud also
Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013F250Tank View Post
Wondered about doing this if i ever got a non delete able truck. Wouldnt there just be a sensor for too much back pressure to send it into regen mode? I ran an open downpipe for a few weeks. WOULDN'T recommend it, heats up trans, cooks wires and puts soot over everything. WAY too loud also
If you hollowed out the DPF there would be lower backpressure than stock and you'd want to disconnect all the sensors etc because you're basically jerry rigging a straight pipe that looks legal still.

The open downpipe from my experience definitely puts soot all over the undercarriage and starts to become noticeable on the back window after a few weeks without a wash but I didn't see any higher trans temps and definitely haven't seen any melted wires anywhere so I'm curious if you actually observed either of those happening on your truck and if so which wires melted/pics.

It is crazy turbo whoosh sounds at any speed and crazy wastegate squeal but exhaust note isn't very loud unless you mash on the pedal hard. I've been running open downpipe for 20k miles on mine without issue.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis2011KR View Post
If you hollowed out the DPF there would be lower backpressure than stock and you'd want to disconnect all the sensors etc because you're basically jerry rigging a straight pipe that looks legal still.

The open downpipe from my experience definitely puts soot all over the undercarriage and starts to become noticeable on the back window after a few weeks without a wash but I didn't see any higher trans temps and definitely haven't seen any melted wires anywhere so I'm curious if you actually observed either of those happening on your truck and if so which wires melted/pics.

It is crazy turbo whoosh sounds at any speed and crazy wastegate squeal but exhaust note isn't very loud unless you mash on the pedal hard. I've been running open downpipe for 20k miles on mine without issue.
Asking what sensors would actually notice that the cat and DPF are hollowed. Gonna call you captain obvious on the lowering the back pressure (thats the whole point) sorry had to. To continue with the point we're trying to get rid of the clogging emissions issue by hollowing but keep it factory looking/running to keep warranty, so if you were gonna unhook all sensors might as well do a full delete (not what im trying to do or say). Trans temp from truck was most defiantly higher. No pics of wires. It was for emissions, the "foil" coating had blowed off and they were deformed. Ripped all off a month ago and discarded so no pics. I just wouldnt recommend running open DP. simple as that.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM

O2 sensors read the lack of cat. Pressure differential sensor reads the lack of DPF.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM

don't forget about the 3-4 EGT sensors...
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM

The EGT sensors would be close to in-range... it's the O2 and pressure differential that will limp it first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.