Speedometer recalibration after installing larger tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speedometer recalibration after installing larger tires

Have any of u guys done this at the dealership?
I have done a quick search, and read about a lot of people getting error codes after changing the tire size only. Some claim the only way to do it is lie to the computer by telling it u are running 3.55s instead of 3.31s. (This seems like the tranny would want to change shift points)
I went from 275/70/18 to 295/70/18.
I have called two dealerships and both of them were like a deer in headlights when I said what I wanted. It irritates me when i contact the service department, and the person with the least amount of technical ability on the whole car lot answers the phone. This makes me very apprehensive to let them get anywhere near my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

I switched my 2011 over to 295,s and the speedometer was still accurate. have a buddy drive next to you . you might be surprised...also, your dealer must be clueless because my dealer said it is no big deal to recalibrate???
Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydumpsters View Post
I switched my 2011 over to 295,s and the speedometer was still accurate. have a buddy drive next to you . you might be surprised...also, your dealer must be clueless because my dealer said it is no big deal to recalibrate???
My speedo is only 1mph slow at 55mph, but mile markers are a good 1-1.5 10/th off from my odometer.
I have zero faith in my local service depts, but maybe it's just the people working the desks that suck so bad.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncojason View Post
Have any of u guys done this at the dealership?
I have done a quick search, and read about a lot of people getting error codes after changing the tire size only. Some claim the only way to do it is lie to the computer by telling it u are running 3.55s instead of 3.31s. (This seems like the tranny would want to change shift points)
I went from 275/70/18 to 295/70/18.
I have called two dealerships and both of them were like a deer in headlights when I said what I wanted. It irritates me when i contact the service department, and the person with the least amount of technical ability on the whole car lot answers the phone. This makes me very apprehensive to let them get anywhere near my truck.
I upgraded wheels and tires on a 2011 F250 Super duty, it had gear ratio of 3:31 We cannot have the truck computer reprogrammed to accept 20 inch wheels and tires...you will have the dealership program the computer to accept 295/65/18 tires. The speedo will almost right on....I have never heard of reprogramming the gear ratio.....from 3:31 to 3:55. Please save yourself time and trouble....have them reprogram the computer .....295/65/18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.