17 months....24,000 mile update - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
17 months....24,000 mile update

As the title says, I've had my truck for 17 months and 24,000 miles. Ordered it in 2012 (arrived April).

My hand calculated lifetime average MPG is 16.4 mpg. My best observed is 20.4mpg. I think these are very respectable considering the mass and aerodynamics of the truck. I am pretty consistent in the 16-17 range. I've pulled 15,000 with it and most of my normal driving is a 7 mile commute to work. I do let it warm up in the winter, which I've seen 12.5mpg on a tank of fuel during coldest months.

No complaints about how anything is holding up. I mean, yeah, it's a 1 ton truck and I know it won't ride like a car. But, it's our vehicle of choice when we travel because it's comfortable. When I replace shocks, I may try another brand just to see the result. But, other than certain highway expansion joint spacing, the ride is good. When I rotate the tires, everything seems tight. Tracks straight and true down the road - I can let go of the steering wheel on straight stretches and it holds straight.

Tires will make it to 35K-40K if I were to guess. I have the 20" Michelins. No cracks. Just wear. I rotate at each oil change (3K-5K).

Engine and transmission are a great combination. I am not tuned. I run Shell T6 and have oil analysis done. Everything looks good. I change every 3K-4K and because of lots of idling and short commutes, I run the synthetic. Walmart carries it...no problem. Oil filters purchased from dealer or online (cheaper).

I changed fuel filters at 23,000 and they looked good. Have religiously drained prefilter and find no water. I keep fuel receipts in a file. I do run DieselKleen for lubricity/cetane improvement. I checked MSDS sheets from the major brands and didn't find one that seemed to blow me away more than the others.

Interior is holding up great. No annoying creaks. Leather is great. I use Meguire's leather cleaner and conditioner monthly. Other than that, I treat it like a truck and get it dirty, but it comes clean. No cracks or issues like that. Holds up well to small children (LOL).

I undercoat annually with Fluidfilm and the underside and frame has ZERO rust. I powerwash the undercarriage in the spring, drop the spare, and reapply. I hate rust. So, this does the job. I did the same with my Tundras (I am in the northeast - so salty roads during the winter) and they looked great underneath after several (5+) winters.

I love my 29" big rig horns that I added. They get you up in the morning .

Cupholders and console - really like.

Paint- looks good - no problems - beads like the day I brought it home. I use Eagle one Nanowax and it's easy to apply and the paint stays nice.

Things I'd change:
- Oil dipstick. What a PITA. If you can read yours, God bless you. I can't tell what's going on. But changing the oil is no big deal, on the plus side.
- Air filter service - not a major deal but changing the filter is more difficult than it should be.
- More protection for oil filter. I haven't had an issue but it is fairly exposed.
- Auto up/down on passenger window
- When you order the 5th wheel prep, I wish they didn't charge $250 for the ball. Throw the ball in Ford.
- Another 110 outlet for the rear passengers - just more convenience with small children and their electronics on long trips.
- LATCH for rear seat anchoring of child seats
- Stronger exhaust brake. Hasn't been a big issue, but just a wish.
- Front corners sonar. I still am iffy about the front bumper corners and where I am with them when in tight turns like thru a drive thru. Again, not a necessity but a wish.

I'd buy this truck all over again today, even considering what's available today from Ram and GM. Not knocking them, but I enjoy the size of my truck, the power, the efficiency, and the reliability. Interior fits our family well.

So, some positive points and some recommendations. Enjoy your ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 AM

great info, thanks!

enjoy
Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Emergency Services

Wow, you do some great upkeep on your truck! I was thinking about undercoating for this winter. How much does it cost you?
How does the meguairs do for tough stains?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM

Great write up OP. Do you get the occasional weird shifting (hesitation) 1-2 and 2-3?
I also use the T-6 and wondered if you ever had the loud valve train noise after an oil change?
Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post
Great write up OP. Do you get the occasional weird shifting (hesitation) 1-2 and 2-3?
I also use the T-6 and wondered if you ever had the loud valve train noise after an oil change?
Thanks
Typewriter noise is typical with any oil after changing:
Erratic Ticking

I also have the odd hesitant shift, sometimes they can be extremely hard but it doesn't bother me too much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-03-2013, 12:26 PM

I have thought about bringing mine to the dealer to have the shifting issue looked at but haven't got around to it yet. Mine does it at cold operating temps the majority of the time and under light acceleration from a stop.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Nice write up. Always good to hear positive things. I am interested in that undercoating you mentioned. I just moved to the northeast and want to protect my truck. But I am pleased with mine as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM

I purchase fluid film in 1 gallon cans. Checkout Fluid Film Rust Protection Application is easy if you have an air compressor to drive an air sprayer. I also popped out grommets and coated the inside of bottoms of doors, rocker panels, wheel well edges, tailgate, etc.

Under extremely light throttle after a fresh startup (cold), from time to time, it has a hesitation of sorts in going from one gear to the next (1-2-3). It's so fast that I cannot replicate it. I had similar experiences with my Tundra which had 6 speeds. I think it has to do with power management or possibly cold oil? If I am anything over very light throttle, it doesn't do it ever.

I haven't noticed any loud ticking. I do hear some noises at shutdown. Sounds like pressure bleeding off/etc.

And, wouldn't you know it....I got a service engine light today and took it in to have it checked. They are replacing a sensor. It sounds like an exhaust temp sensor? I didn't lose power (in fact...heck...I hammered on it just to make sure) or have any issues. I just noticed it was on. So, maybe I jinxed myself! LOL! Nah....it's a good truck.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Great write-up and very similar to me. Had dealership perform TSB 12-11-7 to correct/improve shift. This DID make a difference for me. No more hard shift when cold.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 AM

Great write up. Some of the things you would change did get changed in '13, such the auto up passenger window and the 110 outlet for the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.