Bent Hitch Pin Anyone? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bent Hitch Pin Anyone?

I pull a 9000 pound camper trailer with one of these no sway, weight distrubuting hitches. My Super Duty has a V-5 receiver with a reducer sleeve getting me to the 2" square.

My Ford 5/8 diameter hitch bin is quite bent. I don't know exactly how this can happen. But I am worried it might break.

The Ford receiver has a .675 hole through and so does the reducer sleeve. The the reducer sleeve is a sloppy fit in the receiver.

I changed the bent Ford pin to a stainless steel one thinking it would be stronger, and so far after 1000 miles of towing, it has not bent.

I've got an 8500 pound truck towing a 9000 pound camper with a 5/8 diameter junk steel pin holding it all together. Not comforting.

Have any of you professional conventional trailer pullers ever experienced a bent hitch pin? And if so, what might be causing it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1308 Bent Shank Pin.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	159778  

2013 F350 CC 6.7 4x4 Lariat 3.31
Black, Leer Cap, 18" Wheels
Grandpa's Camper Puller
post #2 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What was the orientation of the bend in the pin in relation to the hole? Ie: up, down, forward or reverse? I'm betting the bend was down from leveraging the wdh and it bouncing.

2012 F250 CCSB 6.7 (3.73 gears) H&S Minimaxx (My own tuning), H&S 64mm turbo kit, H&S Dual Fueler, H&S Low Pressure Fuel System, H&S CCV delete, No Limit s2 Intake, PMF 3-link, PMF traction bars, Fox 2.0s, Icon 2.5" coils, Platinum 20s w/ 295/65 toyo at2s, Airlift bags and wireless controller, TFI 50gal, rollX, AMPboards,
post #3 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
What was the orientation of the bend in the pin in relation to the hole? Ie: up, down, forward or reverse? I'm betting the bend was down from leveraging the wdh and it bouncing.
I highly doubt that, the way a hitch receiver fit is designed is so that faces of the receiver and hitch take the forces, not the pin, the only force the pin could possibly get force is forward and back, even still if you had a really loose fit receiver and a large pin that takes up all the hole rather than a loose fit, the bend would be up because the fulcrum of the receiver would force the ball side of the hitch down and the pin side up. Regardless the pin should never take any up or down force whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I pull a 9000 pound camper trailer with one of these no sway, weight distrubuting hitches. My Super Duty has a V-5 receiver with a reducer sleeve getting me to the 2" square.

My Ford 5/8 diameter hitch bin is quite bent. I don't know exactly how this can happen. But I am worried it might break.

The Ford receiver has a .675 hole through and so does the reducer sleeve. The the reducer sleeve is a sloppy fit in the receiver.

I changed the bent Ford pin to a stainless steel one thinking it would be stronger, and so far after 1000 miles of towing, it has not bent.

I've got an 8500 pound truck towing a 9000 pound camper with a 5/8 diameter junk steel pin holding it all together. Not comforting.

Have any of you professional conventional trailer pullers ever experienced a bent hitch pin? And if so, what might be causing it?
9000 lbs really isnt a big load for the powerstroke so you shouldnt even come close to the bending force of the pin, id say you may have gotten a defective one or your getting A LOT of forward/backwards rock while towing

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
post #4 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
you're right. Early morning blunder. Just realised he said no wdh used too

2012 F250 CCSB 6.7 (3.73 gears) H&S Minimaxx (My own tuning), H&S 64mm turbo kit, H&S Dual Fueler, H&S Low Pressure Fuel System, H&S CCV delete, No Limit s2 Intake, PMF 3-link, PMF traction bars, Fox 2.0s, Icon 2.5" coils, Platinum 20s w/ 295/65 toyo at2s, Airlift bags and wireless controller, TFI 50gal, rollX, AMPboards,
post #5 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
you're right. Early morning blunder. Just realised he said no wdh used too
No biggie just throwing it out there in case you knew something i didnt

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
post #6 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Never used one before. I've always used a grade 8 bolt. Never bent one of those. Never had a hitch stolen either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

13 f-350 ccsb platinum
post #7 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

The direction of the bend is upward. The spring bars lift the back of the truck to distribute the tongue weight to the front axle of the truck.

When I mount the hitch in the receiver, I have a lot of wiggle in the hitch. When I lift the hitch by hand, the pin tightens and won't move. I think my pin is taking all the up, down, forward and reverse loads of my trailer in tow.

My Ford receiver measures 2.57 inches inside. The reducer sleeve measures 2.50 outside, and 2.07 inside. My hitch measures 2.00. Adding up all the slop, I have .140 inches of clearance in the squares. That is enough to make my hitch feel really loose and sloppy in the receiver.

Interesting comment about a grade 8 bolt. I was thinking the same thing. But I would rather have a tighter fitting receiver to hitch. The grade 8 bolt would not bend, but it would wollow out the receiver holes even more.

Anyone else ever bend a hitch pin?

Grandpa's Camper Puller
post #8 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM

I've never bent a pin on the receiver for a pickup truck and trailer. Even hauling heavy loads of hay. I have bent some hitch pins connecting a tractor to tillage equipment though.

Jason
2012 F350 SRW Bought new with 550 miles on it in July 2013
post #9 of 33 Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a bent pin just like that after towing my toy hauler for 15K miles with the old Duramax. On the new truck I went with 2.5" ball mounts and hope that that solves the issue. I might also weld on a heavy washer on both sides of the receiver to increase the thickness of the receiver to prevent the hole from being enlarged.

Louis
post #10 of 33 Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Louis for your example of another bent hitch pin.

It would be difficult for me to go to a 2.5" draw bar. But I'm sure I could improve the fit of the reducing sleeve. And I'm sure I could improve the hitch pin itself by using a grade 8 bolt. I would cut the threads off a long bolt and drill a hole through the end for my clip. And finally put a bullet nose on it so it will better align itself through the holes.

There is just a lot of forces on the pin and receiver holes when towing a conventional trailer. I sure don't want to break a hitch pin while towing.

Grandpa's Camper Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode