Bent Hitch Pin Anyone? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bent Hitch Pin Anyone?

I pull a 9000 pound camper trailer with one of these no sway, weight distrubuting hitches. My Super Duty has a V-5 receiver with a reducer sleeve getting me to the 2" square.

My Ford 5/8 diameter hitch bin is quite bent. I don't know exactly how this can happen. But I am worried it might break.

The Ford receiver has a .675 hole through and so does the reducer sleeve. The the reducer sleeve is a sloppy fit in the receiver.

I changed the bent Ford pin to a stainless steel one thinking it would be stronger, and so far after 1000 miles of towing, it has not bent.

I've got an 8500 pound truck towing a 9000 pound camper with a 5/8 diameter junk steel pin holding it all together. Not comforting.

Have any of you professional conventional trailer pullers ever experienced a bent hitch pin? And if so, what might be causing it?
Attached Thumbnails
Bent Hitch Pin Anyone?-1308-bent-shank-pin.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What was the orientation of the bend in the pin in relation to the hole? Ie: up, down, forward or reverse? I'm betting the bend was down from leveraging the wdh and it bouncing.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
What was the orientation of the bend in the pin in relation to the hole? Ie: up, down, forward or reverse? I'm betting the bend was down from leveraging the wdh and it bouncing.
I highly doubt that, the way a hitch receiver fit is designed is so that faces of the receiver and hitch take the forces, not the pin, the only force the pin could possibly get force is forward and back, even still if you had a really loose fit receiver and a large pin that takes up all the hole rather than a loose fit, the bend would be up because the fulcrum of the receiver would force the ball side of the hitch down and the pin side up. Regardless the pin should never take any up or down force whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I pull a 9000 pound camper trailer with one of these no sway, weight distrubuting hitches. My Super Duty has a V-5 receiver with a reducer sleeve getting me to the 2" square.

My Ford 5/8 diameter hitch bin is quite bent. I don't know exactly how this can happen. But I am worried it might break.

The Ford receiver has a .675 hole through and so does the reducer sleeve. The the reducer sleeve is a sloppy fit in the receiver.

I changed the bent Ford pin to a stainless steel one thinking it would be stronger, and so far after 1000 miles of towing, it has not bent.

I've got an 8500 pound truck towing a 9000 pound camper with a 5/8 diameter junk steel pin holding it all together. Not comforting.

Have any of you professional conventional trailer pullers ever experienced a bent hitch pin? And if so, what might be causing it?
9000 lbs really isnt a big load for the powerstroke so you shouldnt even come close to the bending force of the pin, id say you may have gotten a defective one or your getting A LOT of forward/backwards rock while towing
Old 08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you're right. Early morning blunder. Just realised he said no wdh used too
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
you're right. Early morning blunder. Just realised he said no wdh used too
No biggie just throwing it out there in case you knew something i didnt
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Never used one before. I've always used a grade 8 bolt. Never bent one of those. Never had a hitch stolen either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM

The direction of the bend is upward. The spring bars lift the back of the truck to distribute the tongue weight to the front axle of the truck.

When I mount the hitch in the receiver, I have a lot of wiggle in the hitch. When I lift the hitch by hand, the pin tightens and won't move. I think my pin is taking all the up, down, forward and reverse loads of my trailer in tow.

My Ford receiver measures 2.57 inches inside. The reducer sleeve measures 2.50 outside, and 2.07 inside. My hitch measures 2.00. Adding up all the slop, I have .140 inches of clearance in the squares. That is enough to make my hitch feel really loose and sloppy in the receiver.

Interesting comment about a grade 8 bolt. I was thinking the same thing. But I would rather have a tighter fitting receiver to hitch. The grade 8 bolt would not bend, but it would wollow out the receiver holes even more.

Anyone else ever bend a hitch pin?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

I've never bent a pin on the receiver for a pickup truck and trailer. Even hauling heavy loads of hay. I have bent some hitch pins connecting a tractor to tillage equipment though.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a bent pin just like that after towing my toy hauler for 15K miles with the old Duramax. On the new truck I went with 2.5" ball mounts and hope that that solves the issue. I might also weld on a heavy washer on both sides of the receiver to increase the thickness of the receiver to prevent the hole from being enlarged.

Louis
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Thank you Louis for your example of another bent hitch pin.

It would be difficult for me to go to a 2.5" draw bar. But I'm sure I could improve the fit of the reducing sleeve. And I'm sure I could improve the hitch pin itself by using a grade 8 bolt. I would cut the threads off a long bolt and drill a hole through the end for my clip. And finally put a bullet nose on it so it will better align itself through the holes.

There is just a lot of forces on the pin and receiver holes when towing a conventional trailer. I sure don't want to break a hitch pin while towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.