My Sumo Springs Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Sumo Springs Install

Just finished installing front and rear sumo springs on my 2012 SRW F250. Started Thursday evening and finished today, Saturday. I got pretty aggravated because the instructions were wrong, and the threads on the studs in the springs were wrong, so I had to customize them in order to finish the job.

The parts were SSF-101 and SSR-102 for the springs. If you have a 4WD, I know the fronts are a different part number. I bought them from etrailer.com for about $400, and they were very good to work with.

The rears were straightforward to install, but I noticed that there was about a 1/2 inch difference in the clearance between the driver side & passenger springs (this is a bump stop replacement) and the axle housing. So I made a half inch thick spacer out of Urethane Casting Compound, McMaster Carr part number 8644K24. After the spacer was in place the clearances were identical.

The front springs were a problem. You get two springs, one with the stud centered in the spring, and the other offset so that when you twist the spring into place, the body of the sumo spring orbits around the center of the stud.

Following the instructions, I put the offset spring on the driver's side and the centered spring on the passenger side. I could not get the stud of either spring to insert into the frame where the original bump stop and holder was removed. They had different threads, so I cut the threads using M8x1.25 thread cutter. After I could thread the studs in, I found that neither part fit very well, and I couldn't get the top nut on to secure either one. After pulling my hair out, what is left, I searched some utube videos for an F350 install where the mfgr said the sumo spring with the offset stud goes on the passenger side, and the centered spring goes on the driver side.

So, I removed both front springs and swapped, and everything fit right. They get an F for instructions, but I'll give them an A for the product.

I really like these springs, the truck has quite a different character now. When I pull up to a stop sign, the front end doesn't dive at all, it just stands up straight and tall. Same for take off and cornering, very firm stance. I think the ride quality is about an even call because there is some dampening of small bumps, but larger bumps might be a little rougher. Of course the real test would be putting some weight in the bed, and I haven't done that yet, but I know this will work great for that.

I wrote the company three times, and they didn't respond, so F for customer support, but I would buy them again.

This is the review I wish I could have read before I installed them.

Stance and plenty of it, that is what sumo springs give you, I'm impressed.

Last edited by JohnDS; 09-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.