Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2W vs FX4?

5K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Paul's Powerstroke 
#1 ·
I'm beginning to think about selling my '04 F250 for something newer ('11 or '12). I use my truck to get me back & forth to work and sometimes haul a few items. The main reason I drive an F250 is to pull my 5th Wheel.

So far, my 2W drive has been sufficient and served me well (except for the one time my son tried to take it up a steep grade off road :dunno:).

In my initial search for a replacement truck, I could only find FX4 trucks. I'm not sure if this is because they are extremely popular, or if the FX4 trucks have more problems than 2W trucks, and so those folks are more likely to get rid of them early.

So, I'm just wondering, considering my rather gentle use of my truck, should I keep looking for a 2W drive, or give in and go for the FX4? How much more maintenance is involved?

I was getting about 16.5 mpg in my '04 until Texas raised it speed limits to 75 mph. Now I only get 14.5 mpg.

What are folks getting with the FX4?

Anything else I need to watch out for if I switch?

Thanks,

WM

See less See more
#2 ·
Never had a 2W drive SuperDuty but my '06 FX4 got around 17mpg and this one gets 19.5mpg as a daily driver to/from work and occasional errand running on the weekends. I would bet it would get over 20mpg on the way if I ever took it on a trip without my 5er.

#3 ·
Look at the gear ratios that would be the largest factor. The 3.31's should net you the best mpg and as long as you dont plan on running 35's or anything like that, will give you plenty of power to pull the 5er.

#4 ·
2x4 is okay for towing, however if you ever for some reason need to go someplace where there is no pavement, you may regret that decision to go with 2x4. 4x4 is the only way to go in my opinion because I go places frequently where I use 4x4.

It takes very minor maintenance for the 4x4 over the 2x4. Only difference is a transfer case, and a solid axle in the front. Thus after 100k miles a fluid change might be smart for your axles and transfer case.

If you can find 4x4 easier then go for it because you may find more of a truck you want if you don't have a preference between 2x4 and 4x4. Also 4x4 allows you to do more things if you need to, no more worrying whether your truck will make it somewhere. Slap it in 4x4 and crawl your way out every time.

#5 ·
I have to agree with The Stig. 4X4 is the way to go and as factoryflood stated, if you can find a truck with the 3.31 or even the 3.55 gears, you will have plenty of towing power and decent fuel mileage. Never had an issue with the drivetrain on my '06 or my '12 FX4.

#17 ·
Absolutely sound advice. I had a 2001 Chevy 3500 dually 2x4, and while it was great for pulling my 5er, there were more than a few times I was sweating bullets getting in and out of places such as grass sites after it rained. Had to borrow a friend's horse trailer recently. To get at it I had to ford a significant ditch - and it just rained - wet grass. My 2013 F350 4x4 negotiated the ditch with ease in 4WD. Would have been impossible with the Chevy. Towing my 5er (10K lbs empty) is effortless and I have 3.31 rear end. You don't always need a 4x4, but when you DO need it, you'll be grateful you have it!!

#7 ·
^Another true statement. Resale is difficult, especially if you buy the truck new, odds are the truck is going to depreciate in value quicker if it is a 2x4.

And you never know when there is going to be another ice age ;)

#8 ·
OP.......

Fuel mileage will be a LOT better with the 2wd. If you don't go off-road and only use it for towing/DD take a ride in both. I bought a 12 FX4 dually with 15k on it, and never saw better than 18-19 going less than 65. (you drive any faster and it REALLY drops off) I didn't want to buy a 4wd but the dealers in my area didn't have any in the configuration I wanted. They told me the mileage difference was only one or two mpg. NOT!!

Anyway, I kept looking and found a used (20k) 2011 dually to take for a test drive. As soon as I cleared the mpg screen and took a cruise it was quite apparent the 2wd rode smoother and got better mileage. So, I ordered a new 2013 f350 2wd dually and am VERY happy with it. (gears were 373 in all 3 trucks)

I live in florida and do ALL highway miles, so my dec. made sense for me. I do agree resale will be tougher, and 4x4 is awesome when you need it. Try to find a version of both and take them for a drive. I think your choice will be easy at that point. Good luck in your hunt, Scott

#10 ·
My FX4 hasn't had any issues and doesn't present any real maintenance additions...you have transfer case fluid but that has high change intervals. It can't be reliability issues causing you to see a lot of FX4s...it is because they are popular here.

For what it's worth, I think in Texas you find a lot of 2WD trucks on the 1/2 ton side, and a lot of 4WD trucks on the 3/4 and 1 ton side. I went from a 2WD Tundra to the 350 FX4. I decided with all of the driving I do, sometimes on dirt and gravel, coupled with the flooding and heavy rains we get - that the 4WD will come in handy.

There is the standard 4X4 and then there's the FX4 option. It gets you stickers on the bed, skid plates, hill decent control, and Rancho shocks. My mileage is 16.7 consistently unless I'm towing...then it seems to stay around 15mpg. I have no modifications.

#11 ·
Ford shocks with a Rancho sticker, paper thin "skid" plates that would bend if you threw a rock at them, and hill decent that helps you hold the brakes, yay

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
Hey it's better than nothing. I can say I love the rancho shocks on mine, rides rough enough, but still luxuriously smooth. And my truck has taken me further off-road than I could believe with 4x4 and the FX4 options. May not be heavy duty options, but they do serve a purpose when you absolutely need them.

#14 ·
Last week I went to pismo beach and almost got stuck. I have an FX4. Put it in low, and about 5 gallons of diesel later, I had dug hug ruts in sand. But I did not get stuck. So my opinion is that you don't need a 4wd, until you need a 4wd. Then you will be darn glad you bought a 4wd.

#16 ·
Try lowering the air pressure in the tires to 15 psi. I can get around a beach in 2wd no problem.

If you are truly worried about fuel mileage difference between a 2wd and 4wd truck, then you should have bought a fuel efficient car. No matter what you do with these trucks, they still get between 14-18mpg. If you hear anything more than that, then it is unloaded freeway mileage. Which usually averages no greater than 22mpg for most powerstrokes. The dash mpg calculator is not as accurate as you think.

#15 ·
There are no problems with the FX4 trucks that I have heard about. I will add that these new trucks actually seem to get great fuel mileage even when they have the extra weight of the 4x4 unlike the trucks from a few short years ago. I was always a 2wd man myself until I bought my first 4x4 2 years ago. I will NEVER go back. If some of the other guys on here will chime in on this I believe there are some 2wd trucks that got sold with a Ford factory E locker for the rear. I know you can get them on the 4x4's as well. If you can find a truck that already has the E-locker in it go for it, you won't be upset at all. I am planning on adding a Detroit E locker to my older 04 as we speak. Tired of having one wheel that spins while the other one does nothing. Push a button and both wheels lock up in the rear. :thumb:

#19 ·
down in Texas you can get by with a 4x2 nearly all the time. Which you have proved yourself with your present truck. However should you ever want to spread your wings and travel to other parts of your country or mine, then 4x4 can open up many options as to where you, and what you see. the best sights are off the beaten path, away from the standard tourist spots. As are the best camping spots(back country all the way) That is what 4x4 opens up for you, and definitely the E-locker if you can get it. My folks took an early 90's dodge 1500 2x4 to Alaska last September, pulling a smallish teardrop camper. they hit a snowstorm, and had considerable difficulty making it over the pass. They did make it, but they said it was looking kind of hairy for a while. Heavy diesel engine in front, 2x4 = no traction especially when pulling under adverse conditions. I've seen dad get get stuck pulling his older 28 foot scamper at the sani dump, couple inches of loose gravel is all it took.

#24 ·
You will not regret it if you go 4x4. If you can find one with the Ford factory E-locker already installed in the rear that would be a bonus. I travel to Texas all the time driving big rig, mostly to Dallas and Houston, but it is pretty flat down that way. I live in Delaware and its pretty flat here as well but we do get the occasional snow storm or a call from your buddy wanting to meet up in some muddy farm field for a bon fire :thumb:

As far as The Stig goes I was only making the correlation on fuel economy between 2wd and 4wd pickups because some people think there is a huge difference between them. If there is any difference its not enough to worry about when you really need that 4wd. But I agree if you are the type to worry about fuel economy get a car lol.

#26 ·
New 2013 ...

... FX4. I got a great deal on a King Ranch edition.

I've only got 12 miles on it, but plan a trip South to Corpus Christi tomorrow.

One thing, the salesman said the Fx4 comes with a larger fuel tank, but I've not seen anything in the manuals to suggest I have anything other than a 28 gal. Tank.

I guess I'll find out when it is time to fill up.

#28 ·
... FX4. I got a great deal on a King Ranch edition.

I've only got 12 miles on it, but plan a trip South to Corpus Christi tomorrow.

One thing, the salesman said the Fx4 comes with a larger fuel tank, but I've not seen anything in the manuals to suggest I have anything other than a 28 gal. Tank.

I guess I'll find out when it is time to fill up.

Nice lookin rig!

By the way the fx4 package has nothing to do with fuel tank size. Fx4 package includes ( someone correct me if im wrong)
upgraded shocks, upgraded skid plate under truck? And possibly a slightly taller stance?

Fuel tank size is based on short bed or long bed. Short bed has 26 gal. Long has 36 gal I believe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
So tell me again why you would want two smaller tanks rather than 1 large one. Maybe so you can run 1 dry before switching over. ( and fubar your injection system from low fuel pressure) To the best of my knowledge the 80's dual tank pickups had two roughly 16-18 gallon tanks. If you leave 2 gallons on the bottom for safety, you have at best 32 gallo available out of 36 v.s. 1 36 gallon tank with 2 left over you have 34 available. So unless you figure the new fuel systems are cheeeeeep and you don't mind blowing it up how do you think the old system is better

#34 ·
I've owned 6 trucks with my 6.7 being the 4th Super Duty and have always had four wheel drive option and have needed it in some form or fashion. I've never had a locking differential but my 6.7 has it :D and I can't wait to use it!!!

#35 ·
In my initial search for a replacement truck, I could only find FX4 trucks. I'm not sure if this is because they are extremely popular, or if the FX4 trucks have more problems than 2W trucks, and so those folks are more likely to get rid of them early.

So, I'm just wondering, considering my rather gentle use of my truck, should I keep looking for a 2W drive, or give in and go for the FX4?

I was getting about 16.5 mpg in my '04 until Texas raised it speed limits to 75 mph. Now I only get 14.5 mpg.

What are folks getting with the FX4?

Anything else I need to watch out for if I switch?

Thanks,

WM
Hello WM,

I believe the FX4 is just very popular. That being said, I will not own anything but 4wd. All it takes is one time in need, and you'll wish you had it. That front end is nothing but an anchor with 2 wd. It does cost more, but, resale is much better. As far as MPG, I got around 16.5 mpg on my last trip from Houston to Brady (350ish miles one way). I set my control 3-4 over posted limits. 2012 F250 SWB CC. I have had most of the know issues with mine,,, exhaust sensor, radiator, water pump.......... Get the extended warranty if you buy new. I'd wait till the 2015 is out, the numbers will be better. And, Ford will have addressed the know issues with the new update of the motor. Good luck

Victor

Victor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.