Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2W vs FX4?

5K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  Paul's Powerstroke 
#1 ·
I'm beginning to think about selling my '04 F250 for something newer ('11 or '12). I use my truck to get me back & forth to work and sometimes haul a few items. The main reason I drive an F250 is to pull my 5th Wheel.

So far, my 2W drive has been sufficient and served me well (except for the one time my son tried to take it up a steep grade off road :dunno:).

In my initial search for a replacement truck, I could only find FX4 trucks. I'm not sure if this is because they are extremely popular, or if the FX4 trucks have more problems than 2W trucks, and so those folks are more likely to get rid of them early.

So, I'm just wondering, considering my rather gentle use of my truck, should I keep looking for a 2W drive, or give in and go for the FX4? How much more maintenance is involved?

I was getting about 16.5 mpg in my '04 until Texas raised it speed limits to 75 mph. Now I only get 14.5 mpg.

What are folks getting with the FX4?

Anything else I need to watch out for if I switch?

Thanks,

WM

See less See more
#36 ·
Well, Victor, I didn't wait. I got the 2013 model, new. I've posted a pic, which is on page 3 of this thread.

Hopefully some of the issues you had have been worked out.

I've never bought an extended warranty on any vehicle, before. I may have to re-think that.

I understand the 2004 was supposed to have had a multitude of problems, but the one I owned never had any serious issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.