Gooseneck Trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gooseneck Trailer

Got my first gooseneck trailer. Pulls like a dream. 14K tandem w/ ramps. I can't believe how reasonably priced these things are.

Bought the ball & hooks from Ford to go into my 5th wheel prep...never thought I'd use it, but the truck had it new...and here I am using it almost a year later.

Loaded 11K onto the trailer and drove from Houston to Houma...not one issue...averaged 15.2 mpg with a lot of city driving through highway 90.

Last edited by fosterelli; 08-11-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Nice rig!
I think it's time to upgrade my car-hauler to a nice gooseneck.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 PM

15.2 mpg? Hand calculated?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

No, I don't hand calculate anymore...I just reset before trips. My biggest variance hand to computer was .2...so I decided it was accurate enough to give me a good idea of what I get. Why, are some people getting major discrepancies?

Also, keep in mind we're flat as hell down here, unlike UT...and I was unloaded the entire way back. About 700 miles round trip.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncojason View Post
Nice rig!
I think it's time to upgrade my car-hauler to a nice gooseneck.
Thanks man. Yeah, it is a bit different with the gooseneck, especially backing it up...I really have to crank my wheels to get that trailer to start turning.

But it tows very smooth, no really bad bumping & hopping like I've had with other trailers. I found keeping the load near the trailer's axles really helps with this gooseneck though. I had an initial load closer to the front and I was getting the crap kicked out of me (bouncing).
Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
No, I don't hand calculate anymore...I just reset before trips. My biggest variance hand to computer was .2...so I decided it was accurate enough to give me a good idea of what I get. Why, are some people getting major discrepancies?

Also, keep in mind we're flat as hell down here, unlike UT...and I was unloaded the entire way back. About 700 miles round trip.
IDK why people are seeing up to 3 mpg off. 15 mpg makes sense now that I know 1/2 was empty. Probably about 12 loaded and 18 unloaded?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Nice looking truck and trailer. I have a 250, but looks the same as your's.

I have been looking for a new trailer to haul an offroad vehicle, and have been debating between bumper pull or gooseneck. Did you have a bigger bumper pull before this one? Any advice?

Did you get yours from Texan trailer? I have been over there a couple of times looking.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Gooseneck is the way to go for big hauls! I have a 30ft PJ triple axle with a 24ft hydraulic tilt and it can haul almost anything. But yes, as with any trailer it's important to properly load the trailer. As a rule of thumb I always try to get the CG of whatever I'm hauling over the front axle of the trailer.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
Nice looking truck and trailer. I have a 250, but looks the same as your's.

I have been looking for a new trailer to haul an offroad vehicle, and have been debating between bumper pull or gooseneck. Did you have a bigger bumper pull before this one? Any advice?

Did you get yours from Texan trailer? I have been over there a couple of times looking.
This is my first trailer with the F350. I was debating Texas Bragg and Big Tex...was dealing with McClain Trailers on I-10 E and Big Tex Houston on 45 N between the loop and the belt. I ended up with Big Tex because they had the inventory...I was at McClain in the morning, they didn't have anything on-hand. Pricing was within $100 of each other for very similar units.

My advice would definitely be the gooseneck...now that I have one I'll never go back. It is very nice to tow, very stable, and no wobbles or swaying. Get the dovetail w/ folding ramps (like mine) and you'll have lots of hauling options (you can haul lighter loads on top of the ramps too if you run out of room). Mine is a 20' plus 5' dovetail.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM

DiamondC trailers out of Mt. Pleasant Tx. Builds very nice trailers and you can customize them also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.