Advice on buying 2011 vs 2013 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on buying 2011 vs 2013

So now that the 6.7s have been out a few years and seemingly are a huge step up in reliability vs 6.4, I am looking into buying one for a DD. It seems like the 6.7s are holding up nicely and certainly plenty strong even in stock form. I would like to get people's opinion on buying a low mileage used 11 or new 13.

I personally am NOT a fan of buying a new truck (outside of an absolute steal) due to the fact I typically trade trucks in every 2-3 years and hate how much value you lose rolling off the lot. Of course it's nice to know exactly how it's been treated, but assuming no major abuse, a used 6.7 with low miles should not scare anyone away.

The 2 trucks I am looking at are:

1) 2011 F-350 CCSB 4x4 lariat fully loaded with 17k on the odometer
2) 2013 F-250 CCSB 4x4 XLT FX4 new (bottom line fx4 options)

With current rebates the dealer is offering to make room for the 14s, both trucks are essentially equally priced (probably room in the 11s $). I drive 30-40,000+ miles annually with a lot of time spent on mid to long road trips. With that said, I would LOVE to have the lariat with all creature comforts plus some.

So after that long winded non-sense, what is everyone's perspective on the 2011 vs 2013s? I know that ony very minor changes have been made but is there anything I should look out for in the 2011 being that it was first year out for the drivetrain? Any other problems I should look out for?

Look forward to everyone's responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The only issue on the 11's is the turbo. But you will have 2 more years under warranty... I would get the loaded '11. (I love mine)
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 AM

Any truck made before March 2011 has a fairly high chance of dropping a valve, even some early 2012s have dropped valves. Dont take this as I'm trying to scare you away from a 2011 6.7. I've seen a few 2011s with 200,000+ miles on the original engine, there is even a video of an early 2011 with 500,000+ miles with aboslutely no warranty work done on it (or so the owner says). My 2011 was built August 11th, 2010 and only problems I've had are the N0x sensor and power steering hose and pump (pump was my fault because I went 2 months before changing the hose) and I've been Spartan tuned for the past 16,000 miles out of 63,000 total. Just make sure to check the oasis report and find out the build date, just to make sure its not a monday or friday truck
Old 08-10-2013, 06:49 AM

Personally I'd go with the new one. The piece of mind of knowing how its been taken care of is worth it for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_270 View Post
Any truck made before March 2011 has a fairly high chance of dropping a valve, even some early 2012s have dropped valves. Dont take this as I'm trying to scare you away from a 2011 6.7. I've seen a few 2011s with 200,000+ miles on the original engine, there is even a video of an early 2011 with 500,000+ miles with aboslutely no warranty work done on it (or so the owner says). My 2011 was built August 11th, 2010 and only problems I've had are the N0x sensor and power steering hose and pump (pump was my fault because I went 2 months before changing the hose) and I've been Spartan tuned for the past 16,000 miles out of 63,000 total. Just make sure to check the oasis report and find out the build date, just to make sure its not a monday or friday truck
Is this a common issue with stock trucks? I am not going to be putting any mods on this one.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 PM

If you are not going to mod it then get the 11 and have them throw the Ford ESP warranty on it for the same price as the 13. You can get up to 125k miles I believe and you would have a bumper to bumper warranty for 3+ years to come (based on your annual miles) as compared to 1yr bumper to bumper on the 13. You will have more creature comforts, and more warranty. Are they at the same dealership?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a 2011 with 63k and several buddies with 2011's. None of us have ever had to have them worked on. Just saying don't be scared of 2011's.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycoates View Post
If you are not going to mod it then get the 11 and have them throw the Ford ESP warranty on it for the same price as the 13. You can get up to 125k miles I believe and you would have a bumper to bumper warranty for 3+ years to come (based on your annual miles) as compared to 1yr bumper to bumper on the 13. You will have more creature comforts, and more warranty. Are they at the same dealership?
Yea, both trucks are on the same lot. I am going to drive them tomorrow and see which one the dealer is going to be more likely to negotiate on.

I'm not scared of the 11s just wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for or have the dealer take care of (IE re flashing if needed).
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoStroker16 View Post
Is this a common issue with stock trucks? I am not going to be putting any mods on this one.
Trucks dropping valves can be stock or modded, it's more common in the c&c trucks rather than the actual pick ups but it still does happen. The big thing is that the only time people come online to talk about trucks is to say that they have a problem, so you might have for example, 1000 people saying that their truck dropped a valve but that's out of a LOT of trucks so your odds are like 1% chance of it happening. Imo the best fix I have heard of for prolonging either a week valve or turbo is not to shut off your truck whiles it's hot, so as long as you give your truck time too cool off there is no reason why a 2011 shouldn't be reliable.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:59 AM

I'd go with the loaded one and get the warranty...my 2012 has 39,000 miles (purchased new in November 2012)...not one trip to the shop. The only thing it's required has been DEF, fuel filters, oil changes, and a whole lot of diesel fuel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.