Your Thoughts On Fuel Drained From My DFCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your Thoughts On Fuel Drained From My DFCM

See the two photos of the fuel I drained from my DFCM this morning. This is the second time in a row I have drained the DFCM and found this much water in the sample. I have never gotten a WIF light but I tend to drain the DFCM every 1 to 2 tanks (once every 1-2 weeks) rather than once a month. Before the last two times the most I would see in the sample is anywhere from 3-4 decent sized drops of water rolling around in the bottom of the jar. It is the middle of summer here in east Tennessee and it has been very humid the last 2 months. Could this much water be due to humidity? Did I get a trace amount of water in my fuel from the gas station? If it were your truck what would you do? Am I just overly paranoid? Would you let it go and let the DFCM do its job or would you have the tank dropped and flushed? I plan to change fuel stations and see what happens. I just want to do everything within reason to keep from being one of those guys that gets stuck with a 12k bill from Ford because their design cant protect the fuel system. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Your Thoughts On Fuel Drained From My DFCM-photo-6.jpg   Your Thoughts On Fuel Drained From My DFCM-photo-5.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 AM

Looks like the photos uploaded sideways, but you get the idea
Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7strokin View Post
Looks like the photos uploaded sideways, but you get the idea
I'd definitely be changing at where I filled up, because that seems really excessive for checking every couple tanks. I have never filled at a mom and pop type station, and always choose a newer station that stays really busy. Is your fuel tank stock?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM

I live in the Houston area, so we have you beat with humidity and I NEVER see any water in my water sepson any of my trucks. You need to buy fuel somewhere else and report that station to the department of aagriculture
Old 07-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Wow! I've never seen anything when I've drained mine. Where are you filling up? I'd change fuel filters and switch stations.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM

The fuel tank is stock. I refuse to fill up if its raining or if it has rained very recently. I always fill up at large stations that stay busy. I have never filled at a mom and pop station. I cant say for sure which station might have had a little water in their fuel because I just went on vacation to the beach, a few weeks ago, which is a 7 hour drive one way so I filled up sever times but only fueled at truck stops and large interstate stations.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Thats water along with some dirt/rust...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM

I think I'd pick a filling station that sells a lot of diesel(but there's no way of knowing for sure who has water), drain the separator every tank, and replace the filters... Hopefully it will clear up.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncojason View Post
I think I'd pick a filling station that sells a lot of diesel(but there's no way of knowing for sure who has water), drain the separator every tank, and replace the filters... Hopefully it will clear up.
You pretty much summed up what I plan to do. Although I changed my fuel filters last oil change I will change again on my next oil change which is due in a few hundred miles. I hope that since the WIF light has never been triggered that no water has gotten past the DFCM, one can hope anyways.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Premium Member

Wow that's nasty. I just drained mine for the 1st time since I bought the truck. I'm at 3,100 miles and the drain sample didn't have any noticeable water in it. I let it sit over night and can't find a water line.

You have a serious fuel source issue as stated above. I would maybe even consider having your tank removed and cleaned out. Whatever is in there will be there for a while.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.