About the 6.7 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About the 6.7

okay guys don't have a lot of time to do the research so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm trading in my 6.0 on a new truck this weekend got it narrowed down to a 2012 f250 6.7 it has 48k on it plus an extended powertrain warranty good until 90k.

my worry is that I don't know a lot about the 6.7 if they have any issues what I need to look for I don't want another 6 uhoh. want a reliable ride for my family.

are there a lot of issues with the 6.7?
what common issues if any should I watch for listen for Ect?

sorry I usually do all my own research but I'm pretty much in business meetings until Saturday and this Dealer is willing to give me 5k more than anybody else for my trade so I need to jump as soon as possible.

thanks for all your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only issue I've experienced with my 2012 F-350 was in the transmission. The front pump would leak down while parked overnight and then would hesitate when I put it in gear the following morning. Dealership replaced front pump under warranty and no more issues.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Your not going to find the problems with the 6.7 like the 6.0 or 6.4 had. There are a few issues with the DEF throwing a code, but most have been a bad sensor. Some have experience tranny issues, and some have blown turbos. Most were '11 trucks.
Have you looked at new? There are some good deals to be had out there. A lot of guys have been 10k off sticker, and you would have the full warranty.

FYI, I drove mine for 20,000 miles, then deleted. Never had an issue at all.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Radiators tend to leak where the plastic tank crimps to the core. Just had mine replaced (thankfully under warranty). Seems to be an old problem that won't go away.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you're getting a warranyt till 90,000 miles you have nothing to worry all bugs will work out by then. there is a TSB on the trans pump to be replaced.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

90,000 on mine. And I work it hard. Probably half of that mileage is towing 10,000 to 13,000 lbs, and really no problems to speak off.

Developed death wobble around 36,000 miles. Ford replaced front stabilizer shock. Seems to be a common problem with all the Ford 4x4 for the past 10 years. Brakes are a 70,000- 80,000 mile part. There have been a few frozen calipers. When you have the wheels off put some grease on the caliper slide occasionally.

As mention there have been few sensor issues with the emission system. The sensor will shut the truck down on the side of the road because it is reporting excessive exhaust temps. Fairly easy to fix, but dealers are not stocking the sensors. So it might take a day or two to get the part in. Frustrating if it's your truck that won't start.

There have been a few report sensor problems with their DEF tanks, Again it pretty well prevents you from driving until that sensor is replaced. It seems a few repair shops throw parts at this and replace the whole DEF tank, pump etc. But it most often is just a sensor.

The several dealers I've talked to have expressed concerns that all their in shop work is being done on 6.0 and 6.4 engines and since most of those are out of warranty, their hours have dropped off considerable. They are just not seeing a lot of warranty work on the 6.7L
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
Never had an issue with my 6.7... but im back in a 6.ohhh... i just love driving the ole 6.0hsss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.