6.7 coolant ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 coolant ?

Hey guys I have a 2011 350 and my coolant has turned blackish compared to it normal pink/orange color. Dose anyone have an answer for this or is this just normal for these truck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you need to get a set of test strips and the additive
Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok but it did it once before brought it to the stealer and they said its fine. I didn't believe them so I flushed the coolant and put new motorcraft stuff in. 1,000 miles later its black again
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Black? You definitely have a problem! The owner's manual says the coolant must remain clear (p. 308):
Quote:
During normal vehicle operation, the engine coolant may change color from orange to pink or light red. As long as the engine coolant is clear and uncontaminated, this color change does not indicate the engine coolant has degraded nor does it require the engine coolant to be drained, the system to be flushed, or the engine coolant to be replaced.
I'd give your dealer another chance--point this passage out to them and see what they say--but I'm very surprised at their first response if your coolant really is turning black.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Subscribed.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM

The only thing in the engine that can make the coolant black it the oil. And as you would know, that ain't good! Head gasket???
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Is the Degas bottle showing the black or has the actual coolant turned black? The plastic bottles have a tendency to look stained making the coolant look dark in color when viewed in the plastic bottle.

The coolant doesn't have to stay orange. It will vary in color from pale orange to almost a dark red.

But black, especially with any kind of an oily sheen, would be bad.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygearhead View Post
The only thing in the engine that can make the coolant black it the oil. And as you would know, that ain't good! Head gasket???
unfortnately thats not true.
Antifreeze can burn when exposed to high temperatures. These high temperatures are introduced via combustion gasses leaking into the cooling system. This can come from a cyliner head gasket, but typically you will know this due to the degas bottle over pressuring and blowing out coolant.
Another area for it to be introduced with the over pressurization of the cooling system is for the EGR cooler to have a small crack or faulty solder.
A lab can test your antifreeze for the presence of combustion gas contamination.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sorry guys i had a lot go on in my life the past two weeks and haven't gotten a chance to get back.

ok so maybe it is dark red but still its changed color quick. one other think ive noticed is my engine oil temps when driving down the highway at 65-70 mph my oil temp is 210* i dont every remember it being that high.

i would bring to dealer but i have done the delete and am running h&s on tow tune

6.7 coolant ?-photo-1.jpg

6.7 coolant ?-photo-2.jpg
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM

It's not uncommon to see your oil temps hit 242 when the engine is working hard.

So don't worry about the 210 its within reason
The 6.7L uses the oil to help cool the engine. It shoots a jet of oil at the bottom of each piston on each stroke to help cool the piston. So it will run hotter than previous engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.