Transfer Flow question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transfer Flow question

I just purchased a '13 XLT F350 cc/lb FX4, and I'd like to install my 50 gallon Transfer Flow aux tank. Will I lose my distance-to-empty feature, or can my dealer reprogram the computer for the new capacity? Any other issues you all know of that might complicate this install?
Thanks,
Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll have to get your dealer to reprogram your trucks computer for the added fuel capacity.

If you don't, your fuel gauge won't work properly and your miles to empty won't work properly.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:02 AM

I have a 60 gallon aux tank in my bed. This tank has a float gauge on it so I can tell how much is in it. It drops the fuel into the truck tank filler tube about 8-10 inches from the cap. It has a float assembly that shuts off fuel transfer if truck tank gets full. There is a ball**** shut off at the aux tank if I don't want to refill the truck tank.

When I am driving I leave the ball**** open and fuel drops into the truck tank as needed. The fuel gauge stays on full because the tank stays full. Once the aux tank is empty, the truck gauge starts falling as fuel is used. I never had to reprogram anything it just works.

The distance to empty only works right if I close the ball**** and stop fuel from transferring. The distance to empty is calculated from the fuel gauge level and not by how much fuel is used.

This system works very nicely and my range is about 650 miles when I pull my RV. The last 37 gallons are only in the truck tank so the gauge is right on as is the distance to empty computer once the aux is empty.

Even if you do not have a gauge for the aux tank, you will still see you are low long before you run out. It would be like you don't have the aux tank and just see the truck tank after the aux empties.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryflood View Post
You'll have to get your dealer to reprogram your trucks computer for the added fuel capacity.

If you don't, your fuel gauge won't work properly and your miles to empty won't work properly.
It won't work properly anyways. Say the fuel level sender outputs 0-5V. 0 is empty, 5V is full. With a different sized tank 4.2V is going to be a lot more than 4.2V on the stock tank.

With the aux tank in the bed feeding the main tank, your fuel level sender is going to send 5V 100% of the time until the aux tank is depleted.

IMO if you haven't purchased it already, get something other than a transferflow. There are other brands that make comparable or better quality tanks for the same or less money.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM

I replaced my oem with a titan tank and the fuel level works but the miles to empty acts as if it did prior to the tank.. so basically whatever it reads you can double it
Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM

If your talking about the replacement tanks the dealer can reprogram for it. I went to the Transfer Flow 50 gallon on my truck and the dealer reprogrammed it to read correctly. Now I can drive 800+ miles between fill-ups or about 600 miles when towing.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM

What does it cost to have the dealer reprogram it. I have been thinking about doing this to my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger01 View Post
What does it cost to have the dealer reprogram it. I have been thinking about doing this to my truck.

I think they charged me either 1/2 hour or a full hour to do it. They didn't even know that was possible until I told them about it. I also tried to get them to drop the TPMS values down as I drive an F-350 and they are rather high. They wouldn't do that though. I'll find a dealer eventually willing to take that "risk" for me...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I think they charged me either 1/2 hour or a full hour to do it. They didn't even know that was possible until I told them about it. I also tried to get them to drop the TPMS values down as I drive an F-350 and they are rather high. They wouldn't do that though. I'll find a dealer eventually willing to take that "risk" for me...
Forgive me, but what's the tpms?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger01 View Post
Forgive me, but what's the tpms?

Tire pressure monitoring system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.