Wheel/tire question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel/tire question

I have a 2012 f250 crew lariat fx4. I plan on installing an icon stage 1 2.5" kit. I am also getting the steering stabilizer and the adjustable track bar. I am also going to use the 5" block for a slightly raked look so the truck sits level when loaded. I currently have the factory 20" chrome wheels. I hate them. The factory tires also do nothing for this truck. I was going to buy 285/65's on them. But now I think I want black xd rock stars. My question Is I am considering going down to an 18" wheel. 1 to save on the tires. The 20" tires are a lot more money. 2 the ride quality I would assume would get better if I went down to 18's. What size 18" tires would you use for this setup? what width 20" and 18" wheels would work? I want them to look tucked. I don't like it when the wheels stick out the fenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would run an 18x9 or 18x8.5 wheel with a 285/75R18 toyo AT II, it's pretty much a 35x11 tire, keep your rims in the +18 to +30 offset, back spacing about 5.5, 5.75-6" prefereably. That setup would have you a nice tall, tad bit wider than stock tire on a while that might stick out maybe an inch further than stock. Stock wheels are 20x8.5 +44 offset. They may only be 8" wide, cant remember. Check this out: compares stock setup on left to the above mentioned.Wheel-Tire - RIMSnTIRES.com
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 AM

285/75r18 (34.8x11.3) is a great choice for what the OP wants. Stock is 8" wide with a +40 offset. So 8" wide wheel you could run anywhere from a +40 to a +30 offset for a stock look. 9" wide wheel +30 to +18.

The smaller the offset, the further the wheel stick out. Offset Is in millimeter, and 25.4mm = 1"

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 AM

I think I would prefer bf Goodrich TA KO's. I have had a few sets of bfgs and have always been happy with them. So you guys would put 18s on opposed to another set of 20s?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-20-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got stroke? View Post
I think I would prefer bf Goodrich TA KO's. I have had a few sets of bfgs and have always been happy with them. So you guys would put 18s on opposed to another set of 20s?

BFG makes a 285/65R20 that matches your needs well. I am just not a fan of BFG tires, they want an arm and a leg for em, plus they don't wear well on a heavy truck with lots of torque, I've only run 2 sets in my time. I do have a heavy foot however.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

I am not real sure where to ask this so it is going here and of some one smarter than me would like to move they are welcome to with my thanks and apology.

OK
I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of generals only to find the load range was not so good and the warranty would not be honored on our trucks. PLUS I will tow heavy ish at 10 k from time to time with a trailer...SO...
back to the drawing board
truck currently has 33x1250x20's toyo open country not sure what they held up like tires are shot and rims and tires are new to me. SO
I can get these fairly cheap not sure of warranty as I have been unable to find ANY info on that for these tires.
does anyone have experience with these tires seems a good mud not so good snow tread to me and wondered if anyone has towed with these?
OR
should I just get bfg at ko and move on?
thanks for any input and I hope this is not totally derailing this thread.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdrum View Post
BFG makes a 285/65R20 that matches your needs well. I am just not a fan of BFG tires, they want an arm and a leg for em, plus they don't wear well on a heavy truck with lots of torque, I've only run 2 sets in my time. I do have a heavy foot however.
bfg in my experience are not the greatest highway tire BUT they make the transition from summer to winter with the greatest of ease and handle snow better than ANY other non studded tire I have ever tried ( and i have done my best to try em all)
that is why they are so popular they wear better on lighter trucks but have worn pretty darn well on our family wagon (wife's suburban) they are at about 12k and still look brand new
living in the mountains they are a good choice and can be run in place of studs in the winter in a pinch...I will still ALWAYS run studs in he winter I have lost too many friends to bad accidents in the winter not to.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Yeah I would like a BFG. Anyone know if they make an 18 that would work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.