Help me decide on a few things regarding 2013-2014 F-350 Platinum? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to gldubzakjr
Help me decide on a few things regarding 2013-2014 F-350 Platinum?

Hey guys, great group and thanks for the wealth of information... Previously, I owned a 2011 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat and sold it because of some personal issues that needed to be tended too; HUGH mistake as many of you had mentioned; but anyway, here I am now replacing this vehicle... With that said, here's my dilemma.

We've decided on the 2013 or 2014 F-350 FX4 Platinum; however, I am trying to talk myself into the 8ft. bed vs. the 6 3/4ft. bed; it's just the esthetics that have me hung up here. Are there any advantages to having the long bed vs. the short bed? We'e going to be fifth wheel towing and I know about slider hitches and the special fifth wheel trailer turing radius and so-forth, but I am more looking for opinions, comments, etc. on ride quality, resale value down the road, etc. Also, should I continue to try and find a 2013 or should I just order a 2014; any major differences that anyone has heard about? I did review the 2014 build sheets but I couldn't find anything obvious...

Also, does anyone have the PTO option? I see that a company called "Real Power" makes a 12kw generator that could run our fifth wheel using the PTO while in motion or parked, thus making this a great combination. I know it's expensive, but it's an option down the road. Does anyone have any experiences with the PTO option on the 6.7's?

We're also back and forth about whether to go dually this time; however, we keep coming back to the SRW. With the dually, we could pretty much tow whatever, and with the PTO/Generator combo, that's sound like a good longterm plan for upgrading; however, the dually's all sit lower. Comments and thoughts on this would be most welcome as well.

Finally, I'm torn between getting the factory spray in bed liner and fifth wheel trailer hitch from Ford. First, I've only had experience with drop in bed liners; how do the spray in's hold up? Also, we're getting the fifth wheel prep-pack, but does anyone have any experience with the OEM Ford (Reese) fifth wheel trailer hitch? Say's it's good for 18k on the SRW and 25k on the DRW. Looks like a clean, professional install. Thoughts, comments, etc?

I appreciate everyones comments in advance and if anyone has any suggestions for things I haven't already considered, I would appreciate those thoughts as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

Last edited by gldubzakjr; 07-16-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Subscribed. I got similar dilemmas with a 2014 KR F350.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IIRC the 8 foot bed comes with a larger fuel tank. This would be the biggie for me.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenator View Post
IIRC the 8 foot bed comes with a larger fuel tank. This would be the biggie for me.
It does come with a larger tank (38 gallons vs. 29 gallons). IMHO, if you're going to be using this as your tow rig, the 8 foot bed is a better choice. While it might not look as good, it really pays to have the extra bed space while you're hauling a 5'er. As far as SRW vs. DRW, that is personal preference. It all depends on how you will be using the truck. If the primary use will be towing, I'd go DRW, the lower height doesn't really matter, it is still high enough off the ground that you still the get the truck view of the road and the ground clearance you need off road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-16-2013, 04:24 PM

I chose SRW 8'bed. Why? Well, I wanted to haul a 4x 8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate up! And my ATV (a two up model). And I wanted to drive 650 miles on a tank of fuel. There are lots of people on here who lament the 26.5 (I think) gallon tank on the 6.5 bed. Finally, why buy something with limitations?

Personally, I will not go back to the 6.5 bed. I had tundras with them and was a bit nervous about the long bed when choosing this truck. Now, heavy duty trucks with 6.5 beds just don't make sense to me anymore. They still look good. But, not my cup of tea anymore. I think it helps even out the ride over expansion joints and. And, it's just big and bad man!

SRW or DRW is your call. If towing heavy a lot, dually offers security. But, you're also stuck with 3.73 which maybe you want. I wanted 3.55 and don't regret it at all. 16 around town and personal best of 20.4 on a trip. Hand calculated.

In the end, I don't think you'll make a mistake either way. Most probably buy the 6.5. Thats one thing that makes mine more unique with and 8' bed. It's gonna haul. It's gonna look good. I just wanted you to know that I was torn, but decided the 8' bed offered more things to my taste and it paid off in my mind.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM

I've never heard anyone regret buying an 8 foot bed, but I have heard many complaints of not buying one.
Its kind of like some complaining their garage is too big and has no clue what to do with the extra space... You'll never hear that!! LOL.
As far as using the truck as a generator I'm not sure if that would be good while sitting. Going down the road would be fine.,but these engines shouldnt be idling for anymore then a few minutes before its best to shut them off
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I opted for the 8' bed and don't regret it at all. With the backup camera, it's almost too easy to maneuver into spaces. I think ride quality is fine...I got the extra heavy service front suspension to kill the rake a bit while maintaining the factory look, so mine may ride a bit rougher than others.

The 8' bed completes the look of the truck in my opinion.

I had the 5th wheel prep package installed, but after much research went with an aftermarket Line-X spray on liner.

No differences between a '13 and '14 for Platinum trim that I know about. Orders are closed for the '13 model year, so you will most likely have to go with a '14 unless you can find something on the lot that meets your needs.

Don't have any good pictures, but can take more if you'd like:

Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM

I had a 2006 2500hd and the only mistake I made on it was a 6.5' bed. When I bought my 2011 F-350 I got the 8' bed and have never regretted it for a split second. Would never to back to a 6.5' bed period, it is just too useful.

I don't know know about a PTO generator. From what I understand they do not want to sit at idle for an extended length of time now due to emissions stuff. It used to be a diesel forte to idle for periods of time, but not any more. I would think you would consume a lot more fuel too as opposed to an Onan 5500kw although it would be a lot more juice.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
It does come with a larger tank (38 gallons vs. 29 gallons). IMHO, if you're going to be using this as your tow rig, the 8 foot bed is a better choice. While it might not look as good, it really pays to have the extra bed space while you're hauling a 5'er. As far as SRW vs. DRW, that is personal preference. It all depends on how you will be using the truck. If the primary use will be towing, I'd go DRW, the lower height doesn't really matter, it is still high enough off the ground that you still the get the truck view of the road and the ground clearance you need off road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
long bed all the way!

They look great. But you're quoting the old tank capacities. the 6.7 tanks are even smaller. No way I could deal with the small tank on the short bed.

I have two 6.4's, and my CCSB feels like I have to fill it up twice as often as my CCLB. I wish both were long beds
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I think the long beds are 34 or 35 gallons now. Still a lot better than the 26 on the short bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.