Deletes/mods or buy extended warranty? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deletes/mods or buy extended warranty?

Have an 11 4x4 ccsb with just over 87k, build date 10/29/10. Have not had a single problem....yet. With the powertrain warranty almost gone I went ahead and ordered a tuner, intake, deletes, and exhaust. I did this believing it would add longevity to the motor. Also having regens every 75 miles or so.

After hours of searching and reading on here I've ran across problems with these trucks I wasn't really aware of. Turbo failures, I was already aware of. Head and valve problems are what I'm more concerned with. Spending $3-4k replacing a turbo would be a tough pill to swallow but its doable. Replacing a 6.7 is not at this time.

So my question, is the damage done? Am I driving a ticking bomb thats not worth deleting? Should I buy another 100k of power train warranty instead?

Guess my last thought is to just drive the piss out of it for the next 13k miles and try to blow it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My opinion would be to get the extended warranty and not drive the piss out of it but since you've already dropped the cash on all the delete stuff, you might as well go ahead and delete it now. I'm kind of interested to see how many miles one of these motors are good for.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 PM

I just replaced the motor and turbo in my truck 2012 F-250 6.7 total cost was 11,201$ the turbo was only $1400 of that. I broke the crank in mine at 43,000 and it was completely stock. I am going to delete as soon as my new warranty goes out. Just thought I would give you a ball park price on what it cost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfreak12 View Post
I just replaced the motor and turbo in my truck 2012 F-250 6.7 total cost was 11,201$ the turbo was only $1400 of that. I broke the crank in mine at 43,000 and it was completely stock. I am going to delete as soon as my new warranty goes out. Just thought I would give you a ball park price on what it cost.

Was that at the dealership? Was it under warranty? Do you know why did the crank break?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 AM

Yes at the dealership, wasnt under warranty and they said they front main seal feel out and the crank started flopping and broke.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Can't understand why that wouldn't be under warranty with those miles unless they voided it. But that is the stuff I'm worried about. Wish I could find a mod friendly dealership.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfreak12 View Post
Yes at the dealership, wasnt under warranty and they said they front main seal feel out and the crank started flopping and broke.

The front main seal fell out?
I do believe the seals should not fall out of the motor allowing the crank to flop around! That would almost always cause an issue!

Last edited by brews4me; 07-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just plan on keeping things stock. First reason is I'm sure there will be more crack downs on emissions with diesel engines and I don't want to spend money on all the parts needed just to have to put them back on down the road. Secound it seems a lot of problems develop after deleted. Ive even read on different forums that sometimes people think this engines just don't like the modifications.
There is a YouTube video out there of a 6.7 with already 500k on it and the only thing that was replaced was the radiator. Bone stock..
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1Pa View Post
I just plan on keeping things stock. First reason is I'm sure there will be more crack downs on emissions with diesel engines and I don't want to spend money on all the parts needed just to have to put them back on down the road. Secound it seems a lot of problems develop after deleted. Ive even read on different forums that sometimes people think this engines just don't like the modifications.
There is a YouTube video out there of a 6.7 with already 500k on it and the only thing that was replaced was the radiator. Bone stock..
I don't see why you'd need to delete all kinds of stuff on a 60K$ truck, it should get 500k miles on it easily stock, or I'd hope so!
If I can only expect to get 100k or less, I need to buy a 6k$ car!

Last edited by brews4me; 07-15-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I bought the extended 5 yr/100K miles warrenty, and I deleted everything at about 375 miles BOOHAAHHAA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.