6.7 daily driver/weekend puller - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 daily driver/weekend puller

Heres some stuff from our local truck pull this weekend. All my info about the truck should be in the sig. Took 6th place out of 20 and i think i was the only truck in the open diesel class that drove there (and home thankfully).

Attached Thumbnails
6.7 daily driver/weekend puller-truck-pulling.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM

Looked good. the second vid showed what I'm scared of with my truck, that front end hop. I plan to get the RCD 4-link kit to eliminate that. What gear did you get into?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 AM

I usually run 1st 4x4 high. But the track wasnt very good and i spun like 3500rpm.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 AM

Have you tried low range and let it shift gears? That should get you up and moving quicker and allow you to use you're gears to get you're final drive closer.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM

Not sure how i feel about letting it shift while pulling. Im sure thats hard on the tranny and im always afraid it will do something i dont want it to.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

ALWAYS pull in 4lo. And as far as shifting, im not sure on your trans, but I start in first gear and then shift to second and keep it there. Im sure the trans would be fine shifting on its own

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM

while shifting does create heat, the stress on the tranny is cut way down by the added gear reduction the transfercase adds. not to mention how much strain do you think that TC is under when you take off with 40k+ lbs in tow in high range? shifting gears will net you a quicker acceleration while the sled load is low giving you more momentum to carry you furth down the track.

PS- sled pulling in general is hard on EVERYTHING, regardless of tranny gear, final drive ratio, or any other variable. everything is put to the max for 20+ seconds at a time. but dam its a hell of an adrenaline rush.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Haha thanks but ill stick with what works. Ive pulled in 4hi more than once. And if i did go 4lo i would shift to at least third, maybe 4th depending on track conditions. Ive taken several 1st doing things the way i have been and just thought i would share my experiences. I took 6th this time because it was an open diesel class and everyone that beat me had over 200hp more than me.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
while shifting does create heat, the stress on the tranny is cut way down by the added gear reduction the transfercase adds. not to mention how much strain do you think that TC is under when you take off with 40k+ lbs in tow in high range? shifting gears will net you a quicker acceleration while the sled load is low giving you more momentum to carry you furth down the track.

PS- sled pulling in general is hard on EVERYTHING, regardless of tranny gear, final drive ratio, or any other variable. everything is put to the max for 20+ seconds at a time. but dam its a hell of an adrenaline rush.
Yes it is very hard on everything. We have 3 4x4 modified gas trucks and ive seen alot of carnage. But im just saying that it would be unnecessary stress. But i see your point of getting the sled moving faster. Times i wish i had my own sled to test all the theories i hear lol.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:08 PM

i know what you mean about carnage. we have a 600" big block ford pulling truck and have seen our share of busted rear ends, burnt trannys, broken driveshafts, etc.

FYI- you are actually putting more unnecessary stress on it by doing it in high range. think of it as pulling a very large heavy trailer wide open from stop light to stop light, would it be easier to do this in high range and let the tranny hold the motor all in one gear and slip,or do it in low range and stay in 1st for a short time then hit second, 3rd, etc. you want that low gear to get you up and rolling and the motor revved up to get that tranny locked up and not making as much heat.

ultimately it is youre truck and youre tranny so it is youre decision on how you use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.