Sorry fellas but I have to pull a newb move on you all... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry fellas but I have to pull a newb move on you all...

I've tried doing a search for info but if you type something like "6.7 intake" into the search you get all sorts of posts with nothing relevant to what you're looking for.

That said, after driving a 6.7 last fall I've decided without a doubt that there will be one in my driveway sooner or later. I'm more concerned with long term reliability than having 5 more HP than the next guy, and maximizing MPG as much as possible. Is the best option to leave everything stock, or is it recommended to go with the deletes/tunes? Any benefits to after market intakes on these trucks other than a lighter wallet?

Also, I'm curious how many have the 3.31 gears and tow. I don't tow a lot or super heavy typically, a bumper pull camp trailer and a bed full of dirt bikes and gear would probably be the most common load (7-8k total I'm guessing). I'm thinking the 3.55's would probably be the best setup but would like to hear from those of you that own these trucks already.

Lastly, if there are any little tips or tricks you've learned along the way you wouldn't mind sharing that would be great. I've done a bit of reading already and have learned a few things like draining the DFCM and tinkering with the MyKey options (I'm so going to mess with the girlfriend and program her key to not go over 65...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pull the trigger.. And welcome to the club. I tow a 8k bumper pull TT at least 10 times a year. 3.55 gears. 12.5 mpg constant. As for daily mpg. Keep your foot out of it and you will see 14-17 city and 18-20 hwy. I haven't met one 6.7 owner yet that dosent love the truck.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM

I dropped off my 08 6.4 today at the dealer after putting it all back to stock. I'll be picking up a new 6.7 tomorrow. I will use it similarly to you and am also wondering the same things. My 6.4 was tuned and deleted but had many problems since new. I want this new one to be reliable and get good fuel mileage without sacrificing my warranty. It also has 3.31 gears and the heaviest thing I will most likely tow is my 30' enclosed cargo trailer full of snowmobiles or atv's. Full of atv's with a pile of hunting gear, it will most likely weigh around 12000 lbs. Otherwise, I won't tow much more than 6000 lbs. I've only heard good things about these 6.7's so I guess we'll have to see.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Honestly I wouldn't buy a pricey cai, I'd buy the afe drop in, and remove the lid and run it just like that. No different than running an s&b or afe cai with out the lid, and you'll save a chunk of change!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajc722 View Post
Pull the trigger.. And welcome to the club. I tow a 8k bumper pull TT at least 10 times a year. 3.55 gears. 12.5 mpg constant. As for daily mpg. Keep your foot out of it and you will see 14-17 city and 18-20 hwy. I haven't met one 6.7 owner yet that dosent love the truck.
Trust me, if it was just a matter of pulling the trigger it would already be done! We just bought a new TT and I'd like to get some credit cards and other debts paid down before we take on another car payment. Plus we have another little one on the way... which is another reason I'd like to have a newer truck. My 7.3 has been rock solid but its starting to get a few miles on it and will be needing the regular maintenance stuff soon (ball joints, tie rods, etc). Plus I'll have to spend a bunch of money on sound deadening to cut the cab noise down, and drop around $1500 for the kit to install the S366 I'm getting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Honestly I wouldn't buy a pricey cai, I'd buy the afe drop in, and remove the lid and run it just like that. No different than running an s&b or afe cai with out the lid, and you'll save a chunk of change!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I have no desire to throw money at mods that are unnecessary... I guess what I was getting at was at what point (if there is one) would the stock intake not be sufficient?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought a '13 6.7L, Super Cab, 8 ft bed, with the 11,200 GVWR and camper cert package.
I'm going to keep it completely stock, keep the warranty in force. I bought the extended warranty and service package as well.
I'm very happy so far, just turned over the 1st 1000 miles. I have found so far commute driving gets me as much as 18.2 MPG, using the throttle delicately on takeoff.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.