Help figure towing weight? Have numbers but not to smart!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help figure towing weight? Have numbers but not to smart!!!

Hey all,

I have a 2013 F350 DRW 6.7 4x4 and a new toy hauler and I am trying to figure out if I am legal.

Truck:
GVWR..........14,000
Front Axle.....5,940
Rear Axle......9,650

Trailer:
GVWR..........19,000
Axle 1...........7,000
Axle 2...........7,000
Axle 3...........7,000

I weighed the truck with 25k Reese/Ford factory hitch full fuel and two passengers and the truck weight was.

Steer Axle.......5,260
Drive Axle.......4,000
Total Axle.......9,260

I weighed the truck/trailer combo with 2 passengers, the trailer unloaded but with propane and 60 gallons of gasoline in the two 30 gallon tanks and it was.

Steer Axle......5,180
Drive Axle.......7,500
Trailer Axle.....13,220
Gross Weight..25,900

Now I have loaded the trailer and put some water (not enough) in it. I loaded my RZR XP900 in the garage and the weight was.

Steer Axle.......5,120
Drive Axle........7,280
Trailer Axle......15,820
Gross Weight....28,220

So now I am having trouble figuring my weight.

What I figured from the first set of weights above that truck without trailer rear axle was 4,000 unloaded and 7,500 loaded my pin weight was 3,500. OK so far.

With the total unload truck weighing 9,260 and the total weight of the unload trailer being 25,900. With 3,500 pin and 13,200 trailer axle the trailer seems to me to weigh 16,7,00. All the total seem to have changed a little as I had added a tool box and lost a passenger etc, but close.

Does the weight on the pin come off of the total weight of the trailer?

So I guess what I am asking is what do you guys see from the scale numbers I have listed above. I am a total nube to 5th wheels. I have always hauled a slide in camper in a Ram 3500 with 5.9 and a car hauler in tow.

For what it's worth the trailer pulls like a dream. I can sure as hell feel the weight but it starts moving well and stops well. It slowed to about 55 mph on a short 6% grade. Rides really smooth on a Trail Air pin box and I have Timbrens on the truck. Truck squats only 1 1/2 inches when hooked up.

Thanks for reading

Arlan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM

The pin weight is just how much weight is distributed into your truck. Imagine your trailer not as a trailer but as a 4-axle vehicle. The pin weight would be the weight on the vehicle's front axle. That weight is still part of the trailer, but being distributed onto your truck through the rear axle instead of the trailer axles. When you loaded your toys into the very rear of the trailer it reduced the pin weight because it shifted the center of gravity towards the rear of the truck and shifted some load from the truck axles to the trailer axles.

Your Truck's weight ready to go with the trailer is 9,260 pounds. The weight on your truck axles with the trailer hooked up is 12,400 pounds. Your GVWR is the maximum your truck is able to weigh on both it's axles, and at a 14,000 GVWR you are under that and legal in that regard.

Your GCWR is 28,220 which is the total weight of truck and trailer. I believe the GCWR is around 30,000 for a 350 DRW>

An F350 DRW is rated to tow anywhere from 22,800 (2WD, regular cab) to 21,700 (4wd, crew cab). This is of course assuming minimum amounts of fuel, one passenger, and a perfectly distributed trailer.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin View Post
The pin weight is just how much weight is distributed into your truck. Imagine your trailer not as a trailer but as a 4-axle vehicle. The pin weight would be the weight on the vehicle's front axle. That weight is still part of the trailer, but being distributed onto your truck through the rear axle instead of the trailer axles. When you loaded your toys into the very rear of the trailer it reduced the pin weight because it shifted the center of gravity towards the rear of the truck and shifted some load from the truck axles to the trailer axles.

Your Truck's weight ready to go with the trailer is 9,260 pounds. The weight on your truck axles with the trailer hooked up is 12,400 pounds. Your GVWR is the maximum your truck is able to weigh on both it's axles, and at a 14,000 GVWR you are under that and legal in that regard.

Your GCWR is 28,220 which is the total weight of truck and trailer. I believe the GCWR is around 30,000 for a 350 DRW>

An F350 DRW is rated to tow anywhere from 22,800 (2WD, regular cab) to 21,700 (4wd, crew cab). This is of course assuming minimum amounts of fuel, one passenger, and a perfectly distributed trailer.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just looked and my GCWR is 30,500. That leaves me another 2,280 to play with.

Is it hard on the truck to operate at Max GCWR? Just seem like allot of weight!

I have been trying to load as little as possible for this maiden voyage, but it's rough leaving stuff behind. And the water issue is on my mind. We like to dry camp but with water.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Technically, you're over by 100lbs on your GVWR of the trailer.
Pin weight of 3280 + trailer axles of 15,820 = 19,100.

With 3x 7k lb axles you sure your GVWR of trailer is 19k? Usually it's higher than the combo. of the axles. That or they're 3x 6k axles.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They are 7,000 pound axles. The CGVR of the trailer is 19,000. So your reply answered my question as to the weight of the trailer possibly being overweight.

This stuff is a mess.

I did not realize it until just now but it looks like I need a CDL to operate this rig. That kind of sucks.

I understand why it should be law but I was not aware of it.

I guess it's time to delay my trip and start the process.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:04 PM

The whole DOT CDL thing is very confusing. You might try to see if you can sit down with a DOT person and ask lots of questions.

I'm surprised the GVWR is what it is on your trailer.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The whole DOT CDL thing is very confusing. You might try to see if you can sit down with a DOT person and ask lots of questions.

I'm surprised the GVWR is what it is on your trailer.
What part of the GVWR of my trailer surprises you? Did you think it would be rated 21,000 or did you think it would be less. Like 14,500. I saw another triple axle toy hauler fueling up today and I looked at his tag. It was rated 14,500. Just trying to get right with this thing. My wife just found this online.

Read just A. and part 5 for me please.

28-3102. Exceptions to driver license classes; definitions

A. Notwithstanding section 28-3101, a person who operates an authorized emergency vehicle, a farm vehicle or a recreational vehicle may operate the vehicle with a class A, B, C, D or G license.

B. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Commercial farming" means the intensive cultivation of arable land by raising agricultural or horticultural products as a principal source of the owner's livelihood.

2. "Commercial stock raising" means breeding, raising and caring for domestic animals as a principal source of the owner's livelihood.

3. "Farm vehicle" means a vehicle or combination of vehicles that is used for commercial farming or commercial stock raising and that meets all of the following requirements:

(a) Is controlled and operated by the farm vehicle owner or the owner's family member or employee.

(b) Is used to transport agricultural products, machinery or supplies to or from a commercial farming or a commercial stock raising operation.

(c) Is not used in the operations of a for-hire motor carrier.

(d) Is used within one hundred fifty miles of the farm vehicle owner's commercial farming or commercial stock raising operation.

4. "For-hire motor carrier" means a person engaged in and compensated directly for the transportation of goods or passengers.

5. "Recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle or vehicle combination that is more than twenty-six thousand pounds gross vehicle weight rating and that is designed and exclusively used for private pleasure, including vehicles commonly called motor homes, pickup trucks with campers, travel trailers, boat trailers and horse trailers used exclusively to transport personal possessions or persons for noncommercial purposes.

Sections: Previous 28-3004 28-3005 28-3006 28-3051 28-3052 28-3053 28-3101 28-3102 28-3103 28-3151 28-3152 28-3153 28-3154 28-3155 28-3156 Next

Last modified: February 20, 2012

On edit....I just spoke with Highway Patrol in Utah and described my situation the officer had to double check and called me back. No CDL for RV use as long as you not over factory rating.

Last edited by arlan in arizona; 06-23-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM

I would think the GVWR of your trailer would be higher with triple 7,000 pound axles.

Looks from that blurb that you're okay driving with a trailer of that weight as long as it's for recreational use.

Operating at or nearly at your GCWR is obviously going to be more strenuous on your truck but they're built to take it. Make sure your grille and rad are clean and not covered with bugs and don't try to drive too fast and you'll be fine. I like running synthetic oil in the diffs, trans, and engine for continuous operation in warm temps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushin View Post
I would think the GVWR of your trailer would be higher with triple 7,000 pound axles.

Looks from that blurb that you're okay driving with a trailer of that weight as long as it's for recreational use.

Operating at or nearly at your GCWR is obviously going to be more strenuous on your truck but they're built to take it. Make sure your grille and rad are clean and not covered with bugs and don't try to drive too fast and you'll be fine. I like running synthetic oil in the diffs, trans, and engine for continuous operation in warm temps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Thank you. I keep all my equipment clean well maintained. I monitor my gauges constantly. I thump check all my tires and hand touch the trailer hubs at each fuel stop. I gauge check my tires when departing a camping area and I feel good about that. The truck and trailer are both new. I am not happy to see made in china on my tires and will research new tires in the fall.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM

RV tires are cheap. Made to get from Indiana to the dealer.

I would think your GVWR would be higher with 3x 7k axles also. But oh well.
Good to see that you shouldn't need a CDL. I'd keep a copy with you just in case.

Last edited by jesilvas; 06-23-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.