tow haul mode - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tow haul mode

if i am pulling on flat roads do i need to use tow haul mode? i know that it helps going down hills with the engine braking. basically i'm getting ready to tow my trailer on a 1,500 mile round trip and trying to figure out how to get the best mileage. Loaded my trailer weighs about 15,000 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just push your tow/Haul button and forget it when ever you have a trailer hooked up..
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

If I am running on the highway I don't use tow haul. I have a 16k gooseneck and use the tow/haul mode around town and in traffic. Using the engine to slow down rather than just the brakes.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1ftx View Post
If I am running on the highway I don't use tow haul. I have a 16k gooseneck and use the tow/haul mode around town and in traffic. Using the engine to slow down rather than just the brakes.
Regardless of Tow / Haul mode are you satisfied with the Ford trailer braking system for your 16K goose neck and what setting are you using for good trailer braking?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

This is the second ford I have had with the integrated controller and I have no complaints. My 95 had an inertia controller and that was horrible. i have towed the same bumper pull flatbed with every truck I have owned and the ford controller has perfromed perfect for me. There isn't even a comparison to my Chevy utility body using a regular controller or my fathers f150 with a prodigy aftermarket controller.

When I have my GN loaded to approximate capacity I run the controller between 7 and 8 depending on how it feels due to the actual load. Rarely do I find that I use all the gain and that setting seems to match the amount of work the truck is doing to the amount the trailer is doing nicely.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1ftx View Post
When I have my GN loaded to approximate capacity I run the controller between 7 and 8 depending on how it feels due to the actual load. Rarely do I find that I use all the gain and that setting seems to match the amount of work the truck is doing to the amount the trailer is doing nicely.
agreed. with the gain set at 7.5 I get almost zero bump at the hitch. it never feels like the trailer is pushing the truck around (which sometimes happened with my '07) and highway driving is a breeze. I also use the tow/haul for around town driving only.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the replis. i usually have it on because i heard the tranny shifts alot more without it. i know it runs lower rpm's when not in tow/haul so i would assume better mpg's but don't want to hurt my tranny.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

If you are running on the highway I would switch it off. When you pull off an exit switch it back on. Tow/haul holds the gear much longer and when slowing down it helps a lot, but at highway speed in the top gear it isn't going to be shifting anyway so that's where you will gain your mpg back. My practice is to use it around town, but if I am cruising and not going to be changing speed ill just switch it off.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I run it all the time with my 10k TT Toy Hauler hooked up. I noticed if it is off on the highway and you turn it on for additional engine braking, it does not seem to downshift as expected. (On my 2011).

So why would one not want to have that additional breaking a moments notice running 65 mph on the highway? That's a lot of distance traveled trying to hit a button in a bad situation....
Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM

I agree ^^^^^. Why not just leave it on. At highway speeds. it's going shift up into 6th gear anyway. So you are not gaining any MPG.

The tow haul mostly affect the shift points in the lower gears. Instead of upshifting at 1600rpm, It will hold the gear and upshift at 2200 rpm. Keeps you in the powerband.

I especially notice this around town where I'm in a 30 mph type of street. Cruising along at 30 mph in Tow/Haul holds 2nd gear at 2000 rpm. If I turn Tow/Haul off it upshift to 3rd and drops to 1500 rpm. When I need to step on the go pedal ( say a light just turned yellow and I want to clear the intersection) Without T/H, The tranny has to down shift to second when step on. In T/H it is already in the right gear and already in the powerband with turbo spooled up.

If you turn T/H off on the hiway, Your tranny just tries to hold 6th gear longer, causing the engine to lug on grades, where T/H would down shift a little earlier getting you into the power band. You EGT will stay lower at higher RPM than lugging up the grade in a higher gear. Watch your gauges. I've seen this many times where I forgot the T/H and found myself pulling a 5% grade at 70 mph in 6th gear at 1600 rpm with my 13,000lb GN horse trailer, But my EGT run up to 900. Touch the T/H button, the tranny downshift to 5th gear, I gain 400-500 rpm, still staying at the same speed on the cruise, But my EGT drop 300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.