Tire bulging up center - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire bulging up center

Just had it in for service and my year old bfg at 325/60/20 are raising up the center, but only in the front. It's like they all of a sudden wore out either side of the tire. Tires look good just look like a Mohawk . If you look at it from the side it's about 1/8 inch higher in the centre. The teck said this is not normal. I bought them from an online dealer but wondering I'd this is due to stock rims??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 PM

No, it's due to under inflation. When tires are over-inflated they wear out the centers first; when they're under-inflated, they wear out the edges first.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM

I ran em at max psi . This almost looks like the center popped out. I had to run em at 65 or my sensors went off you can actually see it riding on the high spot with the dirt ill send pics soon
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 PM

My stock sized 275/70r18s wore out the centres faster than the sides on my back tires and they were inflated to 80psi which is max and recommended. I probably could have saved them if I did regular rotations but I was lazy. I bought a set of 325/65r18s to replace my stock tires but now I'm worried that if the stock ones wore in the centre then the wider ones are gonna be even worse...
Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_270 View Post
My stock sized 275/70r18s wore out the centres faster than the sides on my back tires and they were inflated to 80psi which is max and recommended.
Right, which is why you should drop your tire pressure to let the entire width of the tread make contact with the pavement.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobiloff View Post
Right, which is why you should drop your tire pressure to let the entire width of the tread make contact with the pavement.
I did but it was too late when i noticed it. After that I ran all 4 tires at 65psi.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In order to get the exact amount of air needed in a tire I saw a guy take two different colors of that rubbery stuff you dip tool handles in and paint a two inch wide stripe across the tread, then after that dried he painted the second color over top the first color and let it dry. Then he would check the stripe every few miles and by seeing where the second color wore off sooner showing the first color underneath told him if he needed to add or remove air from the tires. Never tried this myself because I run stock tires but it seems to work for him.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Yep, that's a fancy way of doing the same thing with chalk—probably with better results.

However, you should also be able to get the load-inflation chart from your tire manufacturer. A quick trip to a CAT scale will tell you the weight you have on each axle, and then you can adjust your pressures according to the load-inflation chart. (Course then you'll have to find a friendly dealer to adjust your TPMS to your new pressures, or get a tuner, to avoid the annoying "low pressure" warning at each startup.)
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM

i'm thinking it was the combo of over inflation and a little to narrow of rim. but the weird thing is it is not like it wore more in the center it was fairly even wear then the center raised out?the tech checked it and it is 12/32 evenly if measured in the center and 12/32 measured on the side tred.

if you look at the bfg there are 3 distinct sets of treads. the single rows on each side then a group of three wide, intertwined together. the three just raised up bout an 1/8. and now that's what i'm driving on? I had these on my 10 for 30k kms and have just recently put them on my 12 if that means anything. for 2k kms. but the rear has the same pressure and they are worn even.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM

Ah, it sounds like you're describing "feathering," which is what you see when there's too much toe in the suspension, but maybe a narrow rim could cause similar-looking issues? You might want to have a suspension shop verify the toe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.