Crunched Oil Filter = New Engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crunched Oil Filter = New Engine?

So here’s the quick synopsis…. Was driving my truck through a park. Ran over a branch/stump that crunched the oil filter (stayed attached). The low oil pressure warning came on immediately. Didn’t want to leave my truck right there, so I limped out about 1 block, maybe 1 ˝ blocks at most. Turned off & parked the truck. Called a wrecker, towed it into the dealer. Dealer looks at it the next day, says there is no other damage, replaces the oil filter, changes the oil, test drives it & says everything is fine and then tells me to come and pick up the truck. I show up, they pull the truck up, I hop in, fire up and almost immediately I hear a weird rattling/ticking as I accelerate. I pull a U-turn, pull back into the service center, grab my rep, show him the problem and the check engine light comes on as we’re driving through the parking lot. He says “That’s weird, it was just fine when I test drove it yesterday.” At first they suspected a loose rocker arm, but after a day of investigating, I have been told that the rod bearings were compromised and they also have a misfire on cylinder 3. Motor now needs to be replaced as Ford doesn’t advise on rebuilds. However, they feel it’s due to the lost oil, which was an accident/my fault, so this will not be covered by warranty. Truck has 59k miles. Does that sound right? Or are they screwing me? When I parked the truck, there was still several quarts of oil that continued to drain out, so it’s not like the truck was ever run with zero oil… It was however empty by the time it got to the dealership and they keep saying I ran it without oil, which is not exactly true.

Would love to hear opinions/experiences from anyone more mechanically inclined or from those who went through something similar. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Unless you find a dealer you can bribe its 100% your fault for running a truck without oil. that light isnt for looks.... Sorry man
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM

That's true, but it's not like it was run with no oil in it. I didn't think all of the oil would drain out within 1 - 2 minutes, nor was I flying down the highway or anything. I thought it would remain lubricated enough to make the block.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Since you hit something (branch) maybe your insurance would cover it.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
should have turned truck off immediately........but should have, could have, would have..... sounds about right for driving it a block. driving a block could have been 10 seconds or couple minutes. depends how fast you were driving but hope ya can get it figured out. if they dont cover you, you may be able to file an insurance claim?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lococoin
The problem is your oil pressure was low due to the oil filter damage so even if you had oil in the engine you can still damage a lot of components with low oil pressure. Hopefully you can get it covered by insurance. Make sure u forget to tell them u were off road when it happened though lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 AM

I was mostly curious as to whether or not such a short period with low oil pressure could cause that much damage. And whether it was correct that Ford recommends to replace instead of rebuild.

Sounds like I definitely should have turned the truck off then & there. But it was dark, raining and my truck would not have been left in a safe place, so I drove it to the first spot where I could pull off to the side of a road.

Insurance is already involved. They are heading to the dealership today to inspect. We will see what happens.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM

I would assume that a distance of a block even with no oil pressure would not damage bearings. it sounds to me like it was not tested properly and the tech did it on the test drive and passed the buck onto you. you can now argue that since the tech said it was good on the test drive, then it was good. a bearing is bad or good.if the tech told you this before you picked it up then you would be screwed,but you got the green light and drove it so therefore the damage happened after the incedent and after the inspection. this should have been caught on the first test drive if the damage was done by you and it was delivered to the dealer in that condition. lawyer up!!

The fact you found it right away says allot.at very minimum the dealer should pay half, tell them they did more damage not properly checking the truck before they test drove it!! sorry for the rant but I have been caught paying for techs f ups before and I hate it

I would put money that the damage was done going from the tow truck drop off to the hoist!!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftdaddy View Post
I would assume that a distance of a block even with no oil pressure would not damage bearings. it sounds to me like it was not tested properly and the tech did it on the test drive and passed the buck onto you. you can now argue that since the tech said it was good on the test drive, then it was good. a bearing is bad or good.if the tech told you this before you picked it up then you would be screwed,but you got the green light and drove it so therefore the damage happened after the incedent and after the inspection. this should have been caught on the first test drive if the damage was done by you and it was delivered to the dealer in that condition. lawyer up!!

The fact you found it right away says allot.at very minimum the dealer should pay half, tell them they did more damage not properly checking the truck before they test drove it!! sorry for the rant but I have been caught paying for techs f ups before and I hate it

I would put money that the damage was done going from the tow truck drop off to the hoist!!
I was gearing up for a fight if need be. This is the same dealership that once left the oil cap off after performing an oil change....

But I spoke to the insurance adjuster and it looks like they are going to cover the repair. I think I will take the path of least resistance in this case and just pay the deductible and get the work done.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 PM

Gripes

On a related/unrelated note, I have 3 things that sort of piss me off:

1. I have the FX4 package. This should be a truck that can handle some degree of off-road driving (I'm not talking heavy wheeling). There are skid plates in all of the right places, but the oil filter is WAY EXPOSED right on the bottom of the motor. What kind of design is that? It could easily be damaged again from any type of road debris such as a branch or part of a blown tire or a rock on a back-road. I guess before I buy my next truck I really need to get underneath and look around. For everyone else, let this thread be a warning.

2. I know this is a complex motor that works with all sorts of high pressures, but seriously, 1 block with low oil pressure wiping out a motor? Seems a little fragile? I could probably drive a Honda Civic for 20 miles with no oil and have less issues...

3. The repair requires the cab to be removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.