Got some questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
General 6.7 Discussion General 6.7 Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got some questions?

All right guys i need some real advice here. its been a while since ive been on here but ive always been a dodge guy and had a 7.3 ford at one time and really didnt like it. But right now i am in a 2012 ram 2500 with the hemi and im missing my diesel. I love the truck just miss my diesels so im actually thinking of selling it and buying another diesel. What are the good/bad of these new fords? any big issues? and overall how do yall like em? MPG? etc. im currently getting hand calculated 13 hwy empty and when hooked to a trailer i get around 9 with my hemi( it is modded though), Ive heard good and bad about ram as well and just want to know what yall have to say. I kinda like the looks of the ford but still not quite sure. I will be getting a cclb whichever i go withand either a 3500 srw or drw. I pull everyday and it usually averages from 9,000-18,000 lbs depends on the day, and also i do not 9 mpg pulling the 18,000 lb loads either its more like 6mpg then lol and i know i need a bigger truck for those loads anyways. So let me know what yalls experiences have been good or bad i just need to make my decision soon. Thanks in advanced and sorry for the long post. Also is the 6.7 the way to go or is the 6.4 ok? i will not mod right away i will probably wait a little if i can. Also i have had many diesels before 03,04.5,06,05, and an 06 dodge and also a 7.3 ford and modded them all heavily just like the newer one now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 PM

Well..I recommend driving what you're interested in. I drove all 3 (Ram, GM, Ford). I like aspects of all 3. I chose Ford and have ZERO regrets. From a reliability standpoint, Consumer Reports rated the 2012 Ford 6.7 highest among big 3 HD trucks, and with best mileage.

I also recommend hitting the cummins and duramax forums. You'll see some issues they have and can compare with the Powerstroke. That being said, all manufacturers have issues somewhere...but not all vehicles have issues.

I like Ford because: Styling, interior size, looks of CCLB with SRW, features, smooth powertrain, powerful, efficient. The Ram felt slow and I wasn't sold on the transmission. The GM felt dated and has a smaller interior. That being said, I think they're all capable trucks.

My mpg is typically in the 16-17 range. On the road, I've hit 19.2 and 20.4 - hand calculated. Pulling 15,000 - 12.4 mpg. I cannot complain about those mpgs for a vehicle this size.

I love driving mine. Transmission and engine work great together. Need to be careful you don't roast the michelins off. Just a great truck. I think Ford did well with this one.

Good luck with your decision. It's an exciting one to make.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Honestly, drive both and compare. For 2013, both Ram and Ford put great trucks on the table. You'll be happy with either one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM

yeah thats where im stuck at. Ive been a member over on the cummins forumns for a couple years and i know the rams are good trucks just dont know. Ive been hearing really good things about the fords. This is mainly my work truck so im tryinf to see what one has and does hold up better for alot of gravel roads and rough terrain. On my 2012 i have already had to replace the ball joints,track bars, and tie rod ends. ( warrenty covered it) but i have had the truck 1 year and have 42,000 miles on her already
Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 AM

That's one nitpick I have with Ram is the fact their trucks go through ball joints like a fat woman goes through pies. Also, their transmissions are horrible and instead of designing a trans that can hold up the power of the motor, they just derate the motor

IMHO, Ford makes the better truck, Ram has the slight edge in power train with their Cummins/Aisin.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:31 AM

"On my 2012 i have already had to replace the ball joints,track bars, and tie rod ends. ( warrenty covered it) but i have had the truck 1 year and have 42,000 miles on her already"

I think you answered your own question. I think the Ford is the best bet.
just my .02 !
Old 05-25-2013, 06:09 AM

I've had a 2012 and 2013 CCSB F250 and havent had any mechanicl issues. SYnc system in the 2013 acts like crap. All dpf deleted before 5k miles. Driving like an old man 21mpg at 60 mph pulling 11,000 13mpg.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Buy they Dodge. If you've had that kind of trouble from a 2012 Dodge, and still can't make up your mind and didn't like the 7.3, you will NEVER like a Ford, cause you're a Dodge man. Just go by a dodge and keep wishing you could bring yourself to own a FORD and drool when a 6.7 passes by.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadcj5 View Post
Buy they Dodge. If you've had that kind of trouble from a 2012 Dodge, and still can't make up your mind and didn't like the 7.3, you will NEVER like a Ford, cause you're a Dodge man. Just go by a dodge and keep wishing you could bring yourself to own a FORD and drool when a 6.7 passes by.
hahaha yeah ok! but in all seriousness thats why i asked on her to get peoples input. im going to go test drive em both. I know dodge has front end issues, and i know ford has had some issues as well just want some real world mpg and reliability numbers. Got very good feedback on other forumns as well as this forumn too. Just dont wanna dump 50k on something and not be happy with it ya know. Iactually own a F-350 for one of my work trucks for my company and its been an ok truck . has 262,000 on her but body is still in great condition now its been through 3 trannys ( 5 speed manuals) 3 clutches, ball joints, head gaskets,sway bars, tie rod ends, rear diff, driveshafts etc.. but the truck is still good to us. Also have an 04.5 dodge with 292,000 on her only been through one tranny and several sets of ball joints. I knw they are both good trucks just wanted to know real world numbers and reliability of this new 6.7
Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM

Is it you driving the Ford work truck yourself, cause whoever is driving it needs a lesson on......driving! 3 trannys especially manuals is just ridiculous.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.